Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Mantic Announces "Mars Attacks" Wargame

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  jaggedjaw 
#1 ·
From their website:

We're pleased to be working with Topps on a new licensed Mars Attacks tabletop wargame, due for release in 2014! Here's the full story:

Is your tabletop ready to be invaded? The Topps Company and Mantic Games have joined forces to bring MARS ATTACKS to life as a miniature-based tabletop war-game! Combining high quality sculpted figures with fast and fun tactical gameplay, Mantic will deliver an exciting new dimension to the resurgent sci-fi property.

Mantic Games, makers of the popular WARPATH and DREADBALL tabletop games, will make MARS ATTACKS their first license. "MARS ATTACKS is a cult classic series that fans have been falling in love with generation after generation," says Ronnie Renton, Mantic CEO. "Its oddball blend of retro sci-fi visuals, dark humor and over-the-top violence will make for a unique tabletop experience… our team can't wait to bring the Martians to life in ways no one has ever seen before!"

Set against the backdrop of the new and expanding MARS ATTACKS universe, the game will feature all of the fun and thrill of the classic series, plus new characters and factions that will see action in upcoming comic books and toys. It will also tie-in closely with Topps' just-announced all-new trading card series, Mars Attacks: Invasion, releasing in October.

"MARS ATTACKS is a world where giant robots, mutated insects and hordes of Martian soldiers face off against Earth's military and innocent civilians— how could you not want to see a game out of that?" says Topps' Adam Levine. "Mantic has quickly become one of the best in the business, and they're the perfect team to adapt our outrageous visuals into this exciting new form."

Mantic plans an early 2014 release.

For more information on MARS ATTACKS, including regular updates on new products and cards, follow on facebook: www.facebook.com/MarsAttacks.
Mantic Games can be found here.

#4 ·
In my defense I did say "from their site". That's the kind of thing you get from some of these companies: an artificially puffed up sense of how awesome they are. I just present what they put out verbatim as to provide the most information on releases as possible.

As for Mars Attacks.....it was a dumb B Movie, and it knew that and had fun with it. Though we only ever saw the aliens and people, so I wonder how you expand that into a full game (their talking about insect aliens and such), and even then how you balance it when those ray guns 1 hit kill everything.

Definitely wondering how the rules will work on that.

#5 · (Edited)
Oh not saying that you said it Zion. Just pointing out what a joke it is to call them such.

As for the movie.. I know original it was based on a trading card game, which is why Topps are involved. But the game is only a cult classic, as it was almost banned for is over the top violent imagery on the cards that kids were buying.... Other then that it wasn't very good by most accounts.

Soo... a tabletop miniature game, based off a bad trading card game, that most people will think is based on a bad movie?

I can't see this doing very well.

Heck the movie was a flop. It cost $100million to make... its only made $101million back. And thats with a marketing campaign costing $20million.

#7 ·
Heck the movie was a flop. It cost $100million to make... its only made $101million back. And thats with a marketing campaign costing $20million.
I wouldn't call that a flop, from the way you say it the movie made $1 Million net.

Actually looking it up, it had a budget of $70 Million. And it made quite a bit of money world wide (IMDB Box Office Info). I'm not going to spend the time converting foriegn currency but it grossed $417,459,375 in the US alone. I'd say it was a success.

#10 ·
Arguably they are one of the best. Bear with me here:

A little over 3 years ago they were a speck that no one had heard of. They arrived on the scene with hard plastic, affordable fantasy infantry. That's something people had been wanting for a long time. They go on to release a full wargame with around 10 full races, a science fiction game with 3 (and a 1/2 depending on how you want to categorise the enforcers.) races, 3 board games and a new skirmish game.

They're currently sitting on $1.5 million dollars in Kickstarter generated funds and there are still only around a dozen guys working for them full time.

I think counts as a meteoric rise!

And most importantly, like them or not, everyone has heard of them. I think Topps made the right choice here. I think mantic will do justice to the silliness of Mars Attacks.
And they have damn good customer service.

#16 ·
While I quite enjoyed the movie, I'll stick to "All Quiet on the Martian Front" when it comes out. It's Kickstarter is still going and its rules were done by a couple of the original 40K writers.

http://www.martianfront.com/ If you're interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.