Miniwargaming is Closing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Default Miniwargaming is Closing

Seems MWG is closing their store, the new embargo was the final straw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I got this email a while ago. Very sad.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:21 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Some very good points there and while I know some people have issues with Miniwargaming due to previous videos he has done, I would really urge these people to try and put that aside and watch it. He makes some great points about GW's online presence, their website and their direct orders business relationship with AD's.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:34 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

I find a lot of the reason he reviewed for the policy changes as hilarious. I personally never used the GW site for orders and never will as the shipping costs to my area are retarded where I live. All this means as I have to wait at my local brick and mortar store for weeks at a time for their shipments to come in.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:36 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm not affected by them going but the whole issue of privacy is an absolute joke.

GW isn't worried about customers getting tracker cookies from others webstores which could be bad, it because it means GW doesn't gain tracking info about their customers, this has nothing to do with privacy but marketing pure and simple.

GW needs to stop thinking that its 1990 and realise that we live in a global web based economy. The need to embrace Web 2.0 technology and actively engage with the community. If the community says a product sucks or its overpriced thats a valid lesson. Head office are in a bubble. GW had a forum on site, shut it, had a facebook page, shut it, not seen them on twitter later, either so wouldn't be surprised if that goes

At this rate GW will try to fight eBay for allowing second hand sales and Google for listing their website

Policy changes don't affect me but for god sake make an effort to back your arguments with fact, Bad form GW, bad form
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:48 PM
The_Helghast's Flag is: New Zealand

GW has shot them selves in the foot, also i was wondering why GW models where so expensive (i live in NZ)...hence i do a lot of wheeling and dealing within NZ. i would rather buy nice new shinies from GW or my local GW supplier (of which i don't have one now, as you guessed it, prices where too high, and they closed.) if they charged us what you get charged in the US. Eg: Cadain battle force $210.00NZD compared to $120.00USD @1.216 conversion rate, thats $145.00NZD. oh man thats bull. i think i might go to the US just to get models.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

I believe GW are doing this to boost their own sales over the next year or two so they can say to any potential buyer that they are doing great. I fully believe GW are trying to sell the company, which is why they are doing all these retarded things that might boost profits over a short period of time so as to entice a buyer.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 09:58 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

An articulate and enlightening video. Kudos.

Man that letter was written by:

a) a suit
b) probably drives an Audi TT
c) does not game, paint or model
d) earns a crapolla more than me

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 10:02 PM

darknightdrako's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
I believe GW are doing this to boost their own sales over the next year or two so they can say to any potential buyer that they are doing great. I fully believe GW are trying to sell the company, which is why they are doing all these retarded things that might boost profits over a short period of time so as to entice a buyer.
One of the guys in the Podcasts I listen to (Jaded Gamer Cast) would agree with you. He even has the conspiracy of saying that GW plans to sell to Hasbro.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 10:41 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

The point made about other websites doing more to promote the game than GW themselves is absolutely true. GW website now may as well be a long ass shopping asile that's it. There is next to nothing on the site anymore really. Yet sites like Beasts of War, MWG, whatever site you use do more than GW to promote the hobby, podcasts, battle reports, analysis, discussions etc that doesn't account for the fact that there are at least 4 or 5 rather big 40k forums BaCS, Warseer, BolS, Dakka Dakka, Heresy, that doesn't include any of the others out there that I haven't listed.

Regarding the theory GW trying to sell up, it makes sense if you take into account the speed they are releasing all these codexes which will bring a large chunk of money in for each army. But hasbro? Yuck.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode