Miniwargaming is Closing - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 12:59 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Has anyone else been getting all the "great free offers" from MWG?

Apparently the team will be still making their painting videos.

Forgive my cynicism that says they earn a fair few dollars from people forgetting to de-register after the 7 day free trial which is why we see so many free offers from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Forgive my cynicism that says they earn a fair few dollars from people forgetting to de-register after the 7 day free trial which is why we see so many free offers from them.
Yeah, because everything they make is complete garbage and not worth paying for. If I want batreps I can get the for free on youtube, if I want painting guides I can get those as well! It doesn't matter if MWGs videos are of a MUCH better standard! I DEMAND TO GET IT ALL FOR FREE!!!!

I'm a silver lifetime member, paid $80 CAD when they had that offer a some years back. It's been worth it, I get all their DVDs for free and I find about 80% of the videos they put out to be worth watching. They put out too much stuff sometimes, inbetween watching their vids and listening to podcasts I sometimes have no time left to play games or do "work".

I take it you dont understand the idea behind their "free" offers, it's no different than anyone with the slogan "We guarantee 100% satisfaction or your money back!". Difference is the MWG slogan is "Here, take the stuff we have spent many hours making, just take it for free. While you're at it look at all the other stuff we have available as well for free. If you like what you see then you can continue with the subscription, if you dont you can cancel within 7 days and not be billed or you can cancel within 30 days and get a full refund!".

The only reason they can afford to produce videos is because of the subscribers, people like me who got Gold or Silver to help jumpstart the vault are now just freeloaders as GW would put it. We helped start the vault but now demand everything for free, without the subscribers there would be no vault which would be a great shame as the stuff they put out is of very good quality (Ok, it depends allot on what you are looking for. I can't stand the Banter Batreps but I love the style they have with showing the dice getting rolled etc).

I dont know of anyone who puts out the same type of videos as MWG does now, at least when it comes to the batreps. Blue Table Painting did a few where they showed the dicerolls etc but a single battle ended up being 2-4hours to watch.
Everyone else like the BOLS battlereps and a few other random people pretty much only have turn based synopsis's. I moved here, I shot this, that thing died etc.

With MWG videos you get a greater feel for the game, it's like you are there watching it but at a much faster pace. You get to see the dicerolls, the epic fails and incredible strokes of luck.

For the amount of videos they put out I think the price would be worth it, then again 80% of their stuff is free. They put up most of their videos on youtube 30 days after it has been put on the vault. So if you dont want to pay you can just watch it on youtube. Oh you want their DVDs for free? Then sign up, download them, then cancel the subscription...

It's not different than the free to play model, you get most of their stuff for free. If you want some of the extra stuff they put out then you have to pay, then again it has been possible to get every single DVD they've ever made for free by signing up and cancelling the subscription.

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 03-23-13 at 03:01 PM.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 03:10 PM
Banned

Nice rant but you'll note I never at any point made any sort of comment on MWG's videos or their quality or value for money.

I have downloaded several and they are fair enough. I do however find that they really don't contain any more useful information than any of the many of You Tube which you point out are for free.

Their batreps are awful but I have to admit I find most pretty awful.

It just strikes me a very odd that many are saying that GW has destroyed MWG when really it comes down to a failure of MWG's ability to make their service into a viable business.

Many other online retailers still sell GW mini's and this latest change by GW isn't going to effect that.

MWG has a loyal band of followers and it seem that will continue. All they have done is made a decision to close their online shop when I don't see there is any real need to do so due to the change by GW and it concerns me that it was the only outlet for Dark Potential.

In short what's all the fuss about ?

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 03:26 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

I just want to point out that Miniwargaming is just being hit by something that the US was hit by about 10 years ago. The stores here either adapted or went under just the same. It's just Canada's turn to feel the same now.

Honestly with it happening in the US in the early 2000's, and it happening in Europe a couple years ago it's just rather silly for them to act like they couldn't see this coming. Eventually it'll be this way in every place that can sell GW minis and we'll have to adapt or fail in response to it.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

From the talk Matt had on his show some day ago it basically comes down to location.
The town where the MWG store is located only has 50.000 people. To just run a physical store there wasn't a viable option as I think 70% of their online revenue was from GW sales.

They didn't have that many sales to begin with as Matt doesn't believe in discounts, but they were forced to have a 10% discount because of all the other discount webstores out there. He also explained that prices in Canada are between 30-50% higher than those in the US, so competing with US online stores was very hard.
I also remember him saying once that some online stores were selling their product for cheaper than they get to buy them from their supplier.

So the reason for MWG shutting down were many but it boils down to running a physical store as not being financially viable. Only reason they had one was because GWs trade terms demand it, the online sales were the majority of their income and even that was not enough to keep the store afloat. With GW cutting off that keeping the store was no longer viable.

This is where the vault comes in, I think he said they had about 2000 members and make about 5000$ a month from subscriptions. This is a very low income, which is another reason they are having their big DVD give aways as every time someone signs up to the vault some decide to stay (or simply forget and dont care because 7$ a month is nothing and what you get for it is allot). Matt said they need about 2000 more members for the vault to be really viable.

With the store closing they can now focus on other games, as they dont need to focus on making videos for games dont sell any more. This is why they have the big games suggestion going right now, to see what other games they should cover.

I'd love to see Dark Heresy being played if possible, only heard about 5 podcasts about it and it seems pretty fun.

To keep the vault going they need more subscribers and they need to cover more games, problem I see is if they dilute it too much people will unsubscribe because they dont get enough of XYZ.

Getting sponsors like BOW might be a good idea as well. Wouldn't surprise me if they introduce a "watch this 30 sec commercial" type thing as youtube has. If you subscribe you get no commercials.

Then again I use Addblock so I very rarely see any adds at all.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-13, 12:08 AM
Banned

So really what it comes down to is the fact the MWG never actually had a viable business. They produce videos but can't sell enough and they sell mini's but can't compete with other online shops.

So absolutely nothing that GW has done has "forced" these guys to close they have made the decision not to carry GW products all on their own and for some reason decided to make a half hour video lecturing GW about it.

If anything GW has maybe made a B&M store for MWG more viable by removing the online competition if the general "online doomsday panic" at the moment is to be believed, which it isn't.

MWG could quite happily continue to carry GW product if they wished, many dealers in the states do so by simply having a different online ordering set up, really easy to do.

About the only big outcome from the latest changes by GW will be the Geo-blocking or halting of export sales which may have an impact on buyers in Oz but as far as MWG is concerned it would be a boon as the Canadian prices are higher so it would remove the US competition.

Like Zed says, you can either adapt or walk away. MWG has chosen the latter.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 03-24-13 at 12:11 AM.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:07 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
So really what it comes down to is the fact the MWG never actually had a viable business. They produce videos but can't sell enough and they sell mini's but can't compete with other online shops.
Ehh, no, that's a lot of hubris on your part. They had a viable business, they ran it for many years, they're removing it now as it won't be profitable for them with GW's changes. Saying they didn't have a 'viable business' because they couldn't be profitable (or at least couldn't make a profit worth their time and effort) after GWs changes, or as a B&M only store is stupid.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 03-25-13 at 11:09 AM.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
Ehh, no, that's a lot of hubris on your part. They had a viable business, they ran it for many years, they're removing it now as it won't be profitable for them with GW's changes. Saying they didn't have a 'viable business' because they couldn't be profitable (or at least couldn't make a profit worth their time and effort) after GWs changes, or as a B&M only store is stupid.
and I quote "we have analysed out numbers, over the PAST FEW YEARS of doing this business and unfortunately the the margins have just been too small and the investment too large"

= not viable over the past few years.

Matt's words not mine.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 03-25-13 at 12:23 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode