Miniwargaming is Closing - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 01:20 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Perhaps they're saving up to buy nuclear weapons and commit exterminus against Australia.
We've already had plenty of UK Nukes explode on Australia thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 01:41 PM

So, with MWG closing the store and web store, how will they sell any Dark Potential? Phone Orders?
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 03:41 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

You don't need to worry about "selling off" of GW until Tom Kirby either decides to retire and buy an island somewhere, or dies.

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Hopefully the latter. In a fire. caused by a rabid badger attack.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
We've already had plenty of UK Nukes explode on Australia thanks.
Really? I didn't know Jeremy Clarkson, James Mays, and Richard Hammond had filmed Top Gear episodes in Australia.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 04:17 PM

psactionman's Flag is: USA

Like Magpie said you cannot just sell a publicly traded company. Looking at their stock history they are on the up and up, with small spikes when they release a new codex. It seems to me that the rapid codex releases are being done to get a lot of profit fast, not to show it to potential buyers. It is possible someone new bought the majority and is making changes around the shop to maximize their investment. That is what investors do.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 08:19 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Perhaps they're saving up to buy nuclear weapons and commit exterminus against Australia.
From a few years ago:

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 03-22-13 at 08:26 AM.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 09:28 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Back on topis, as interesting as the video is, it shows a real lack of knowledge when it comes to BI methods and multi national business practises.

Im pretty certain that a company the size of GW does actually use BI tools to study the sales trends. They will know with some certainty if the US online sales embargo has actually affected number of sales. Only they will be in a postion to say if it is a positive thing.

The other thing he mentions is the exchange rate. I think that it is more complex than he makes out. If GW could sell at a uniform price across the world, Im sure they would, as it would be so much easier for them. Different countries have different taxes and also different related costs. My understanding is it is muchmore expensive to run a B&M shop in Australia than it is in say the North of England. You therefore need to sell at a higher price to cover costs.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 12:24 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
Really? I didn't know Jeremy Clarkson, James Mays, and Richard Hammond had filmed Top Gear episodes in Australia.
Yes, several in fact and we've even had our own Top Gear series too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
My understanding is it is muchmore expensive to run a B&M shop in Australia than it is in say the North of England. You therefore need to sell at a higher price to cover costs.

Everything costs more from your staff to the fact that the distance from supplier (Sydney) to shop can be as far as from Nottingham to Cairo.

But at the end of it all we pay the price we do in Oz because that's the price we are willing to pay. Of all the guys in my local shop there are only 2 of us who buy stuff from OS, all others are happy to pay the shop price.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 11:17 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post

Everything costs more from your staff to the fact that the distance from supplier (Sydney) to shop can be as far as from Nottingham to Cairo.

But at the end of it all we pay the price we do in Oz because that's the price we are willing to pay. Of all the guys in my local shop there are only 2 of us who buy stuff from OS, all others are happy to pay the shop price.
I think there are only that many left in my group who'll pay GW Aus prices Different strokes for different folks.

Orders from overseas, Forgeworld stuff, second hand and just buying into other games has become the norm. 2 Years ago, GW games were basically the only thing played for us, with just a smattering of other games, now there are several other games played, and GW is in the minority.

But I will give you that the reason prices are so high is because there are people who will pay it. The other reasons given are bunk, (costs of everything else are not 200% higher in Australia) GW will just charge what they can get away with, as is there prerogative.

At any rate, enough time and energy has been spent arguing Australian policy before, we should probably get back to discussing American policy.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode