No more Bitz sellers? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Default No more Bitz sellers?

Well, it's now confirmed.

MWG put this up: Click me

Drop Box link with all the GW trade term pdfs

Found this and it doesn't bode well...

BitsandKits can u comment? You been given any messages from GW?

Quote:
It has been a strange Games Workshop day for me. I woke up this morning intent on calling Games Workshop about a missing part I had with my new Helcannon, As always Games Workshops customer service was great, they were processing my re-order when all of sudden the phone cut out! I tried calling back and all I got was a busy signal, 15 minutes later a GW customer rep called me on his personal cell phone to finish the conversation. Like I said, really great customer service! The rep said that they entire phone system was down, but wouldn’t give a reason. I really didn’t think much of it, but when I got to my local game store the owner asked me if I knew anything about GW changing their terms to retailers.

I told him no, but ask him why he asked me. It turns out that GW reps had sent out an email warnings retailers about upcoming changes to their policies. Like all GW retailers they waited for the slap in the face from GW to arrive. As it turns out, all American retailers got this notice and could be one possible reason for the phones “not working” in Memphis.

So, what has changed? As of tonight (always deliver bad news on the last business day) no retailer with a Games Workshop account is allowed to break open boxes and sell models individually or as bits. That means if the Warstore or Spikeybitz has a GW account they cannot sell bits. That is at least what has been relayed to me, and judging by a new Dakkadakka thread is the case. Of course, a smart retailer will find a way around this, but if you ain’t your out of luck. This also extends to Ebay, but Games Workshop has always had a strict Ebay reselling policy.

The more integrating question is why the change? Some say it is stop cheap parts going to Australian, anything else it is a stab at online retailers. My personal feeling and something I think has been building for a long time is GW might get back in the bits game. Since, only American retailers got the notice and the Chapterhouse litigation going so poorly; it makes me wonder if and when GW loses to Chapterhouse, will it mean the full bits range is back on!

I for one hope that is the case. When GW stopped selling the full bits range it angered a lot of people and ended up creating a new market that they are now trying to squash. It also makes a lot of sense if you want to create a “direct only” product. Like everything we will have to wait and see.
DakkaDakka thread: Clickety click

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 03-17-13 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 10:07 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Bastards! Does their evil know no bounds? On a interesting side note this change may lead to a incredible boom in third party look alike/conversion bits....which I use a lot of.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

If anything this will lead to more conversion bits makers making more money, even if GW did reintroduce their bits selling line the bits will probably cost so much it'd be cheaper to just buy a whole new kit.

This wont affect the ebay bits sellers, or anyone selling bits who doesn't have a trade account with GW.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 10:22 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
If anything this will lead to more conversion bits makers making more money, even if GW did reintroduce their bits selling line the bits will probably cost so much it'd be cheaper to just buy a whole new kit.

This wont affect the ebay bits sellers, or anyone selling bits who doesn't have a trade account with GW.
Yes and yes. Also is this isolated to American stores only?

If this is to stop bits being shipped south of the Equator some arse in GW needs a fucking kicking. Stop charging me 40% more than the Brits and then we can talk ya wankers. I'll be sure to mention this to the staff at local GW next time I pick up my WD (only thing I get from the GW). If they spin me some shit about its to help their store keep afloat I will ask them point blanc if they expect me to buy a Ravenwing Battle Force simply to get the DA techmarine shoulder pad.

If GW are wanting to get back into the bits game... well lets hope it goes smoother than the roll out of Fine Cast (still getting problems with it today btw - I avoided it as long as I could and the first one I buy is fucked, only one of the two possible replacements was any good as well).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 10:46 AM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

The reason GW stopped their bits department was not to be dicks, but because the picking floor was a massive use of limited space, a huge number of staff were needed to pick orders and it simply wasn't financially viable at the time. The space taken up by the picking floor now houses 8 plastic casting machines that can each cast hundreds of sprues a day.

Whilst I would love to see a bits department come back in, spare a moments thought for how it would work. You couldn't feasibly do what the small bits companies do and break open boxes, unless it was a VERY select part of the range. All the bits would need to be individually catalogued and a computer system set up for pickers. Every order would need hand picking, which means a LOT of staff. Don't forget, GW caters to the entire world. And if this was set up on each continent, then that's a picking floor and more staff too. The financial benefit would unlikely outweigh the financial cost.

Whilst I disagree with closing down bits sellers, if people are buying stuff through a GW account then they have the right to say "we won't supply to you if that's what you do". That's how businesses work I'm afraid.

If they've worked out a way to sell bits again properly, then marvellous. I doubt it though.
Maybe, just maybe, they are trying to close down GW accounts doing bits selling because they want to set up official bits sellers themselves? Accounts *specifically* designed for that purpose?

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 10:54 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

This has always been games workshops policy in europe, all this does is level the field in the US, pay it nomind ,while ever there is the hobby people will want to convert and people like me will find a way to sell you bitz, gw legal have tried numours dirty tricks to stop bitz sellers in the past and i have in the past taken legal advice on the matter, they dont have to sell to bitz sellers but they cant legally stop them selling bitz.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 12:02 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Interesting, though bits sellers still do make a profit if they buy the kits at full retail then sell the bits individually. If they originally bought at partial price, then I'd expect bits prices to increase so that they avoid legal implications, but not the death of bits stores altogether.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 01:20 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I cant really go into detail other than to say, GW will always make policy to maximise there own profits and protect there own interest and make it harder for indie traders to sell GW products, GW are perfectly happy for you to hand over full retail price for a pack of say grey knight terminators so that you can kit bash up a terminator libby and chuck the rest of the sprues in the bin, but the fact is GW know that they cant stop the second hand market for minis any more than they can control the price of world oil, even if GW managed to stop supply to all bitz seller today, i can say for certain bitz sellers would still be happily trading until some time after GW ceased all production of all models.

there is always someone wanting to sell up there collection of bitz, there is always an indie trader wanting to off load his GW stock, there are always people selling off there childrens collections for peanuts on ebay and car boot sales and as Boc says anyone can walk into a GW store and buy what ever they want, how many GW stores are going to turn away someone who wants to drop a grand on minis?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 01:45 PM

Warpath's Flag is: England

As others have said they will never be able to remove bits sellers, yes they may make it more difficult or even more expensive but they can't stop it completely. As for them re-opening their own bits department well i would love to see this again but you have to look at the difference in how they package and build their kits now. Silvertabby is right on how much space, employees and the finacial costs it had at the time. I worked there when they decided to get rid of it and it was a sad day But now you'd have to buy sprues to get the one piece you wanted! It would be a task that would take years to catalogue every part on its own now due to that amount of pieces you get on the sprues. Though i do miss the catalogues they use to produce, looking through them at all the small bits for conversion ideas.

Long live our bits sellers
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 03:07 PM

VonMarlon's Flag is: United Kingdom

Could this mean GW are going back into the bits business themselves? 2 minds about that if they did. On one hand it is always nicer to have more bits stockists especially from the makers themselves as this would mean more hard to acquire parts are in stock but on other hand, it was the independent bit sellers that took it upon themselves to supply bits after GW stopped doing it. GW setting up there own bits section would likely damage the independent sellers and that would be mighty harsh.

I guess if GW were to do this. I'd only use them if the part were out of stock elsewhere.

Last edited by VonMarlon; 03-16-13 at 03:12 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode