Death From the Skies and 40K February FAQ Updates - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 10:12 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
And this right here is the problem with GW atm, feels like they go out of their way to leech as much money as they can out of their customers.
A business that is built on miniatures and the rules for a game of those miniatures actually wants to get money for what it produces?

How can that come as unusual or a surprise.

Did the person who complied these rules do it for free? are the printers and shippers doing it because they are dedicated 40k'ers?

Bottom line. GW is a business with massive overheads and they need to make money.

I don't want my rules to be a print out from my own shitty bubble jet I want a groovy bound book. If you have the free printouts you can't make the book as no one will buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Difference here is that they force you to get it. Sure you can ignore it and simply not get it, but then you cant use the Ork Bommer and those SM fliers (unless you track down the WD or donwload the rules illegally).

Like I said before, the Bommer, Storm Raven and Storm Talon cost an extra 20 now with this book. They should add the rules for them to the FAQs, not force you to buy a compendium for a single model for your army. It's not even a full page of rules for the units, all 3 could fit on a single A4 page.

I will be getting this book later this week or next week at the latest because I have no other choice, but I'm not gonna pay for it.
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 12:34 AM
Banned

They "force" you to buy any of the rulebooks/Codicies. Just be thankfull they don't simply reprint each Codex with the new rule in it and you only have to pay $AU48 to get the update for all armies rather than $AU83 for a new Codex.

Don't worry mate, I'll pay to keep your hobby going you just steal what ever you want.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 02-19-13 at 12:45 AM.

post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Who said I was stealin? The club is getting a copy so everyone can use it...
Kinda useless as only 2 ppl in the club even has fliers to begin with and the other guy has IG so has all the rules he needs anyways.
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 01:19 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I will probably 'acquire' a digital copy. Thanks for helping Mags :D

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
Who said I was stealin? The club is getting a copy so everyone can use it...
Kinda useless as only 2 ppl in the club even has fliers to begin with and the other guy has IG so has all the rules he needs anyways.
Anything you get without paying would be stealing but of course if a group of you are chipping in to buy a copy that's fine by me.

Scoze can bite my bum tho'
post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 06:21 AM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
They "force" you to buy any of the rulebooks/Codicies. Just be thankfull they don't simply reprint each Codex with the new rule in it and you only have to pay $AU48 to get the update for all armies rather than $AU83 for a new Codex.

Don't worry mate, I'll pay to keep your hobby going you just steal what ever you want.
Privateer Press does the correct method of doing rules imo...You buy the model, it comes with it's rules. There is a core rule book (Which is incidentally free as well I believe, and they do quite well as a business). What people are complaining is not that they have to buy rules, but that they must buy a new book that contains rules for armies you probably don't even use/own. IF they had made it so there is this new book, or the option to individually pay/download the rules for relevant units then it wouldn't be an issue. As it sits, I only have the dakka jet as a flier, and won't be getting any others, so I will happily go out, download my rules to play a model I did pay for, and not even think twice.

So you go ahead and be that white knight if that makes you feel better about yourself.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
I will probably 'acquire' a digital copy. Thanks for helping Mags :D
I will be downloading the pdf as well. I have every book GW and FW has ever put out on pdf, we also have every book at the local club but in my 4 years of gaming I have NEVER seen anyone use any of the rules from any of the books. I hate reading the paper rule books, I prefer to scroll through the pdfs as it's faster and you have the search function etc.
I've never even opened my Dark Eldar codex, it's been in the shelf since the DE came out. Got the pdf 7 days before release, read it and use it for all my needs.
The only thing I use the books for is when I play and I can't remember a rule or what a specific piece of wargear does.

I guess Battlemissions would be an exception, we tried that 3 Baneblade mission once and never opened the book after that.

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 02-19-13 at 07:01 AM.
post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 07:13 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Privateer Press does the correct method of doing rules imo...You buy the model, it comes with it's rules. There is a core rule book (Which is incidentally free as well I believe, and they do quite well as a business). What people are complaining is not that they have to buy rules, but that they must buy a new book that contains rules for armies you probably don't even use/own. IF they had made it so there is this new book, or the option to individually pay/download the rules for relevant units then it wouldn't be an issue. As it sits, I only have the dakka jet as a flier, and won't be getting any others, so I will happily go out, download my rules to play a model I did pay for, and not even think twice.

So you go ahead and be that white knight if that makes you feel better about yourself.
well privateer press also release rule books and they also release rule books for new types of models, for example here is there latest release
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine...hine-colossals
this is the book with the rules and stats for the new colossal models for each race, so if you want to use colossals in your warmachine game here is the book to make it possible, so GW and PP are doing the very same thing, yet GW are the villains ?

I agree with magpie, i dont want a pdf version unless its an exact copy of the paper version and it was free with my paper copy to be used on my tablet, otherwise i want a bound physical copy,full colour,loads of pretty pictures and fluffy shite that i can flick through while i drink a coffee and i dont mind paying for it.

I do also agree with taggertug, that each unit should come with some type of stat card in the box, even if it only meant units could be used in a limited way with dark vengeance.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-19-13, 08:05 AM
Banned

What is about all these guys who think they deserve a free ride?

Privateer Press "doing the right thing" is simply because they don't have the facilities to cover the costs of producing a properly printed series of books. It's any easy way to buy into the market that GW sustains.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode