Death From the Skies and 40K February FAQ Updates - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 03:28 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
You telling me I can buy this cool flier but can't use it in the game without buying this new book?
Wouldn't that apply to pretty much any model used for 40k gaming ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 04:50 AM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Not really...They don't make you buy another Grey knights supplement just to use your land raider do they? It's a bit different than buying a new codex when it comes out.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #23 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 06:37 AM

Quote:
If there are no points changes and such then what's the point?
Exactly how I feel really. I'm sure there is a point if it's a decent and official looking book with your unit stats in it which seems like a great concept to me. PDF's would make more sense...PP seems to be doing okay and they actually pack stats in the model's box.

Directing players to buy an all new book online with awesome shipping prices simply to use a single unit is ridiculous. I would love a book with unit stats printed out, looking all nice, giving me some info on the aerial competition out there. Assuming it could stand on it's own and wasn't required for more to use a single model anyway. I have way more armies then I need and yet only one of them is even in this book and I don't even use the unit.

I mean it is nice to be able to get stats instead of having to hunt WD's but not nice enough I'm interested in a book that's 99% X-Factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Well normally you buy a Codex with rules for everything in that army. In this case you get stats for a single model? If I play Space Marines I certainly don't need stats for a flying robotic french pastry for an army I don't play. Sure it's nice gee-wiz information but requiring me to buy an entire book just for the one thing I want and telling me I want everything else?

I think MadCowCrazy has a good point though; if it's only in English how offical can this be anyway? If nothing of real note was changed it's a dud.

post #24 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Not really...They don't make you buy another Grey knights supplement just to use your land raider do they? It's a bit different than buying a new codex when it comes out.
Maybe but you do get all of the data for all other armies, not just your own. If you want to know about enemy land raiders then you have to buy a heap of other books.
post #25 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 07:44 AM

Are there any reviews for this book beyond its listing for the GW site? Anything that may have been leaked?
post #26 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 08:14 AM

I believe this is just a compendium of past rules for mass consumption. Throw in some pretty pictures, print it hardcover & full colour and profit just like the "campaign book". GW will not change points costs for army X in a suppliment rulebook, that just isn't going to happen.

As far as I can tell the only thing worth checking out in this whole book is (a) how much does a BT or C:SM Stormraven cost? (b) what missiles do BT or C:SM Stormravens come with?

As I play DE & Chaos, neither of those questions are pressing enough for me to spend $40.
post #27 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 09:18 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

People seem to forget this is how 40k and fantasy for that matter used to work, they would put out interesting stuff and new rules for new units etc in WD for people to use in games and then when they had enough material they would do a compendium with the rules all in one place, granted this was 20 years ago and we didnt have the advantage of the internet to moan about it, but if like me you didnt pick up the WD with the rules in, or missed an issue or dont want to keep referring to a WD page, this book is a god send.
People criticise GW for not putting things in WD, then they criticise GW for putting things in WD, people criticise GW because the WD with new rules sell out,people criticise GW for producing a book with the sold out rules in.People Criticise GW for not communicating with fans, GW communicate with fans about there trade mark stance,GW get a shit load of abuse about it, GW are criticised because stores are full of kids using the boards and hogging painting tables,GW are criticised when they reverse that and become shops, People bitch about GW metal models being hard to build/paint/convert, they switch to resin and have a few teething issues and its like GW have started eating babies while doing Jimmy Saville impressions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #28 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 09:49 AM
Banned

I'm keen to have all the various flyer rules in one bound copy.
post #29 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
People seem to forget this is how 40k and fantasy for that matter used to work, they would put out interesting stuff and new rules for new units etc in WD for people to use in games and then when they had enough material they would do a compendium with the rules all in one place, granted this was 20 years ago and we didnt have the advantage of the internet to moan about it, but if like me you didnt pick up the WD with the rules in, or missed an issue or dont want to keep referring to a WD page, this book is a god send.
People criticise GW for not putting things in WD, then they criticise GW for putting things in WD, people criticise GW because the WD with new rules sell out,people criticise GW for producing a book with the sold out rules in.People Criticise GW for not communicating with fans, GW communicate with fans about there trade mark stance,GW get a shit load of abuse about it, GW are criticised because stores are full of kids using the boards and hogging painting tables,GW are criticised when they reverse that and become shops, People bitch about GW metal models being hard to build/paint/convert, they switch to resin and have a few teething issues and its like GW have started eating babies while doing Jimmy Saville impressions.
...or they could have just put up the rules for pdf download on their webpage and all problems would have been solved...
post #30 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-18-13, 12:12 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
...or they could have just put up the rules for pdf download on their webpage and all problems would have been solved...
i seriously doubt people would be willing to pay £20 for a bunch of pdfs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode