WD Changing Again?! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Default WD Changing Again?!

This one likely deserves some time to mature because it's rather incomplete sounding and doesn't have enough information. Plus with a 3 month lead time on WD's the soonest we'd be able to confirm or deny this is honestly likely June, and even then it'll remain uncertain because GW is known to go back and do whatever they want regardless of what they've said in the past.

From Faeit212:

Quote:
No More Rules in White Dwarf

So reading through this rumor, it seems that someone from the design team is upset that rules are being released in White Dwarf. I am not sure if this rumor refers to "White Dwarf Inserts", but if it does, that would good bye to any rules updates, or new models being introduced in the White Dwarf Magazine.

Personally I would take a lot of salt with this rumor. However there are a few people, mostly of questionable integrity, that are buying this bit completely and writing off White Dwarf completely, for example the flyer update that is rumored for March/April.

Please remember that this is a rumor, take with a lot of salt, since its quite contradictory to a lot that has been going on.

via a Birdy and Darnok over on Warseer
I have been told that the recent update of apple codex's with rules not updated elsewhere was an oversight by the design team, and that a pdf will become available "once someone has time." As a result of the negative feedback on these ipad updates and whitedwarf content, the design team has said they won't be including rules for armies in whitedwarf anymore.

Last edited by Zion; 01-24-13 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 06:39 PM

I would say this refers to things like were just befor the bp they talk rufly about rules like smight for dk,not updates because as far as I know the white dwarf updates are a good way to get that army ready for a release.
All speculation of course.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 07:14 PM

Logaan's Flag is: England

Sad times.

The days when they released Confrontation free through WD seems aeons ago. It was actually about 21 years ago and that makes me feel stupidly ancient. Not just an update, a whole game,

Confrontation - still one of the most enjoyable GW games I have ever played.

I imagine the bean counters would not be too pleased with a free ruleset release these days.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 07:22 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't like them releasing rules solely in WD.

If it was "release in WD, then make PDF available 1/2/3 months later" that would be A-ok. However doing things like releasing rules for new models and even entire armies, and then never, ever, making them available to people who don't bother to spend 5 per month on a glossy piece of sewage or who couldn't get to the store in time? Fuck off.

Of course you can always just find a photocopy PDF online, but that isn't exactly ideal from anyone's point of view, is it?

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 07:30 PM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I don't like them releasing rules solely in WD.

If it was "release in WD, then make PDF available 1/2/3 months later" that would be A-ok. However doing things like releasing rules for new models and even entire armies, and then never, ever, making them available to people who don't bother to spend 5 per month on a glossy piece of sewage or who couldn't get to the store in time? Fuck off.

Of course you can always just find a photocopy PDF online, but that isn't exactly ideal from anyone's point of view, is it?
The problem with it being release 1/2/3/ months later is that people will just wait that long and then pick it up on the website instead of paying for the white dwarf. Maybe making it available 6 months later? I'm not really sure how to come up with a win/win situation for this.

Last edited by Necrosis; 01-24-13 at 07:40 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 07:36 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

This idea would pretty much kill WD. People still see it as little more then a glossy advertising magazine, so taking out one of the few reasons for people to buy it is suicide for the publication...

As said though, the exclusive to WD idea in itself is stupid... don't buy the mag that month? You miss the rules and so can't use the unit.. so you won't but the model. Yes, you can find them online... but how many people have seen others complain about people turning up with a print out, rather then an official rulebook, or accused someone of cheating as they don't have a copy of those rules to check, or.. as with FW units, refused to play the person as the unit isn't legal? Stupid, but it happens.

Anyway... i can see this being true as it would stop alot of problems... but it'd also kill WD as an entity as no-one would have a reason to buy it without the suppliments occasionally printed in it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 09:00 PM