Beyond the Gate of Antares - a new wargame from Rick Priestley (details updated 2/2) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-13, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

Default Beyond the Gate of Antares - a new wargame from Rick Priestley (details updated 2/2)

Rick Priestley's new wargame Beyond the Gates of Antares currently has a kickstarer up and running - they're looking for funds to get the initial rules released along with developing and producing the first batch of minis. The main selling point they're going for isn't so much the rules or minis (although the rules they've detailed dso far seem good), but that the universe will be highly interactive, with the results that players submit online will contribute to the universe as a whole, including what new units and weaponry are available to their factions.

Link to the Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tes-of-antares

Over the first 3 weeks of the Kickstarter, they have collaborated with their forum community to produce the Kickstarter Exclusive mini - Hansa Nairobi. The metal mini is included in every pledge level from 25 and up. He's looking pretty great in my opinion:

As well as this, if you look on the kickstarter page you can find several videos with Rick Priestley demonstrating some outlines of the rules and basic gameplay. It's an activation based system, with each player completing an activation with 1 unit, then play passing to the other player. It also has a variety of Reactions built into the system (similar to Infinity), so you'll never be hanging around waiting with nothing to do.

The interactive universe is what's got me excited about the game, and persuaded me to pledge. I'm really looking forward to seeing where they'll go with the idea. The discuss it at fairly great length in this video with Beasts of War - it's an hour long, but I think it's worth a watch if you're in any way interested in what they have planned for the project.

It's shaping up to be something very interesting game if we can get it funded. I've chipped in for a level which includes a good chunk of minis.

UPDATE 2/2/13: The Kickstarter just hit 100k, 1/3 of the way to the funding goal. A good chunk of stuff has been revealed over the last week and a bit - more details in Post 17 of the thread here, or on The Kickstarter Page.

Last edited by EmbraCraig; 02-02-13 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-13, 11:40 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

If i had 3,930 spare id do it just so i could be a game character.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-13, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm very tempted by the rules & starter set - really curious about the idea of the game being set around an expanding and evolving game universe, although the worry is how long they'd manage to keep such a thing going.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-13, 03:23 PM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraCraig View Post
I'm very tempted by the rules & starter set - really curious about the idea of the game being set around an expanding and evolving game universe, although the worry is how long they'd manage to keep such a thing going.
I imagine what they'll do is say "We will focus on region A in the first 3 months of the year. All games played in this time can be fed back to affect the universe. At the end of the three months we'll release a special, world changing, scenario that everyone can play and feedback their results. The average result of all the games will stand and change region A forever (a main character dies, a planet is lost, a new faction appears. That sort of thing)

Doing something like that would be pretty sustainable. It also adds really cool elements to introducing new factions. The results of a period could have an impact on what allegiances new factions have, their tech etc.

I've not looking into the universe itself, but as a model for how the universe is built, it's what I've always waited for!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-13, 03:59 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by imm0rtal reaper View Post
I imagine what they'll do is say "We will focus on region A in the first 3 months of the year. All games played in this time can be fed back to affect the universe. At the end of the three months we'll release a special, world changing, scenario that everyone can play and feedback their results. The average result of all the games will stand and change region A forever (a main character dies, a planet is lost, a new faction appears. That sort of thing)
Isn't that similar to what 40k did for Eye of Terror? Swear they did something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-13, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

A similar idea, but this game is promising that it wont be a one-off - these events will be running constantly, with new campaigns every few months, so the universe will evolve over time to reflect what's happening on people's tables all over the world.

And that sounds like a very cool idea to me
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-13, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Double post, but it does add interesting new info - they've posted a kickstarter update today that gives a little bit of gameplay footage. Game flows back and forth quickly - it's a turnabout system, but squads have the opportunity to use reactions during the opponents activations to allow things like snap shots at units as they move from cover to cover. Base mechanic looks to be very simple - roll under the relevant score on a d10.

It all looks interesting enough to me that I've chipped in some money, and will be contributing over at their development program forums. Lots of good discussion happening over there

Link to the update with the gameplay vid is http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...1?ref=activity.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-13, 11:51 AM
Icarus Miniatures

BoW have a video interview with the Dark Space guys talking about the game. It's a long 'un, but fascinating none the less.

A few bits for those who don't want to watch it for the hour:

The "living world" will work much like we speculated. The dev team will periodically open up areas of the map and players and take part in "episodes" that shape the game world.

These episodes can be anything from a weekend raid to gain control of a planet all the way up introducing new alien races and technologies.

A note on raids - Something particularly interesting that was brought up is text/email/facebook updates about episodes. In their example, everyone who had registered on their site as the attacking faction received an email telling them a raid was taking place to control a particular planet. However, the defending faction's players didn't get the email until some hours later. This creates a very interesting dynamic where you, the defender, receive an email telling you your planet has been under siege for a few hours and you need to rush home and play some games.

A note on the technology - An example was given in the video that the team may design a new piece of tech, a weapon say, and then run a episode to see which faction actually gets to use that weapon. So the games you play have a very real impact on the universe.

They also spoke of online guild systems similar to MMOs to allow people to easily connect to other players of their faction.

I think (and hope) all these things are going to create a really engaging game that really keeps people interested over time.

I'd love to set up a heresy guild so we can go out there and crush all others before our might!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-13, 11:01 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Glad you broke it down - gonna rep you for enduring it - that presenter was so dull I couldn't watch it...even the panel looked sleepy!

I am the White Knight!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-13, 11:08 PM
Icarus Miniatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaaneshy View Post
Glad you broke it down - gonna rep you for enduring it - that presenter was so dull I couldn't watch it...even the panel looked sleepy!
Thanks.

I'm really excited by Antares, the "metagame" aspect is really attracting to me, and I've pledged the 25 for the hardback book and Hansa model, so you can expect me to be updating this thread a fair bit over the next 40 days

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode