I got the new rulebook! - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-21-08, 06:48 PM

Inquisitor Aurelius's Flag is: Canada

Wound-stacking is bloody daft. It makes smaller units able to do more damage than larger ones. You shouldn't lose fewer men from eight bolter shots and two melta than you would if there were only three bolter shots. It doesn't make sense from a perspective of game balance or logic. You'd think that they could get at least one of them right .

Four Colditz salads and a Hermann Goering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 06:11 AM

that wound stacking is crap. where is the logic in it?? if it is like that im sure it wont be after the first faq.
post #83 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 10:35 AM
Lax

Lax's Flag is: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Aurelius View Post
It makes smaller units able to do more damage than larger ones. You shouldn't lose fewer men from eight bolter shots and two melta than you would if there were only three bolter shots. :.
Hmmm, not sure ! Even if I hate the fact that we can stack AP or ID wounds on the same model.

5 SM squad taking 8 shots of bolter and 2 melta = one dead from meltas, 2-3 deads from bolter, that's 3-4 deads on 5 men !

10 SM squad taking the same = 2 deads from meltas, 2-3 deads from bolters, that's 4-5 deads on 10 and your melta was more useful.

5 SM squad taking 4 shots of bolter and 1 melta = one dead from melta, 1-2 deads from bolter

10 SM squad taking 4 shots of bolter and 1 melta = one dead from melta, 1-2 dead from bolters

---------------------------

Now with a little squad without special weapon :

5 SM squad taking 5 shots of bolter = 1-2 deads
10 SM squad taking 5 shots of bolter = 1-2 deads
5 SM squad taking 15 shots with 4 force = 10 deads
10 SM squad taking 30 shots = 10 deads

---------------------------

So we can see that it is important to have numerous shots on ennemies units, to remove interest in stacking.

post #84 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 04:54 PM

blitz451's Flag is: USA

Ok i'd like to (hopefully) clear up a little bit of confusion we seem to be having with wound allocation.

1.) If all models in the targeted unit are the same (weapons, special rules, etc.) then there is no wound allocation and they simply remove all of the unsaved wounds as normal.

2.) If for example you have two models with heavy weapons then you allocate wounds. Once each model has been given one wound then you start allocating the second and third wounds. Once all wounds are allocated then you roll them by group not individual model.

example: 10 marines have been hit by 20 attacks two of which are rending. the marine unit has two marines with lascannons the rest are identically equipt. The marine player allocates two hits to every model with the rending attacks allocated to the normal marines. The attacking player then rolls 16 wound dice against the normal marines and 4 wound dice against the lascannons. against the normal marines he rolls 8 wounds including two 6's for the rending attacks and 3 wounds on the lascannons. The marine player then rolls 6 armor saves for his nomal marines (remember the two rending attacks rolled 6's to wound) and 3 armor saves for his lascannons. He makes 3 armor saves for his marines and 1 armor save for his lascannons. Then he must remove 5 normal marines(3 failed armor saves and two rending attacks) and both lascannon marines (only 1 of 3 wounds were saved so two models are removed).

Obviously this gets more complicated the more mix and match your units are, but it's still not too bad. The ability to negate special attacks by wound stacking is pretty minimal as you can only stack wounds by group not model. The best you can hope for is to keep the attacks off of your special characters or heavy weapons guys. I hope this clears things up a little bit.

"You are what you do when it counts"
post #85 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 07:28 PM

maybe its one of those things that gets simpler after some practice, but it sounds a little complicated at the moment
post #86 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 07:51 PM

Inquisitor Aurelius's Flag is: Canada

Hmm. Alright, allocation by group sounds a touch more reasonable. I don't like it, but I can live with it. At least, I think I can. I guess I'll just have to wait and examine the whole thing in context.

Four Colditz salads and a Hermann Goering.
post #87 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 08:03 PM
Tactless Tactician

It's really not that bad, as I said.
It's like target saturation, really.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #88 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 08:41 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

The wound allocation system is really good and after playing my first 5th ed. game last week it didn't take very long to get used to it either.
post #89 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-22-08, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
The wound allocation system is really good and after playing my first 5th ed. game last week it didn't take very long to get used to it either.
well thats refreshing to hear
post #90 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-23-08, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz451 View Post
I don't know. It looks to me like they are trying to tone down abilities like rending. 5th seems to be a step away from the big nasty vehicles and uber units.

Even with the new wound allocation rending is still a good ability, it's not 'one character wiping out a whole unit in one assault' good, but it's still good.
haha if you have someone like a chaplain charging in at ini 5 (or 6 with fc) he gonna go at his own initiative and still give 5-6 pw attacks with no real benefit from wound allocation

also the wound allocation with ppl being able to stack multiple plasma and melta shots on one model is just gonna add some gory war movie-esque imagery to a battle (ie rambo IV)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode