=][= Rumours Roundup : Chaos Space Marines - Updated : 09/09/2012 - Page 86 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #851 of 1100 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 05:44 AM

Maybe the best use of cultists will be as an extra 30 wounds for a Dark Apostle or whatever. Just a cheap unit that can run along and throw a ton of dice if they make it to the enemy.

A baby seal walked into a club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #852 of 1100 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 01:55 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
I can't think of many units that can take 60 attacks without having problems. I frequently run 20-30 hormogaunts in a squad, and even Death Guard have trouble with the sheer number of dice.

Don't underestimate the power of the Bucket of Dice. No-one wants to make 20+ armour saves, so a unit that big will draw fire away from more important units simply by running screaming at the enemy. Don't view it's usefulness in isolation.
If the Cultists have 60 A, hitting on 4+, and wounding most things (Marines, Orks, Necrons) on a 5+ [or worse!] then they aren't really scary. You don't force 20+ armour saves on the things that form the baseline of 40k, you force 10. While that's still credible, it also fails to take into account the logistical impracticality of getting so many models engaged in CC without the opponent getting a 6" pile-in anymore, the likelihood of suffering at least some casualties on the way in (large) and the fact that the majority of those enemies (Marines) will have superior initiative, and kill a number of your fragile models before they get to swing.

I'm not decrying the unit as useless - but let's not misrepresent them either...a blob of Guard is still scarier, because they have Krak Grenades and better shooting.
post #853 of 1100 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 04:30 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
You mean in the same way I don't give a damn about the Death Guard cult troops, because I play Slaanesh? More units and choice is always good, and if you don't want to use a unit, then don't.

Pyrovores are a supposedly terrible tactical choice in 'nids that virtually no-one takes. However, if I was writing a list based around forces trying to take Catachan, I'd include them because they are templates for burning people out of cover.

Also, don't forget that whilst their entry says "Cultists", it could be anything. Acid-spitting dogs, happy bouncy Nurgle puppies with diseased sneezes, chaos mutated plants out to get local farmers... Don't feel bound by what they've written. I play Slaanesh, but am planning some heavy hitters using the Khorne and Nurgle daemon stats. I very much doubt my new CSM force will have Noise Marines, the old one certainly didn't.

The only thing holding back your imagination is you. If you don't play the strict tourney rules, there's no reason you can't have fun with other things. This is why I don't mind the current CSM codex, because I look past the unit names...
This. Right here. My entire Chaos army is designed around a Thousand Sons force. However, I make alot of 'count as' units to reach the theme of the army. Noise Marines with sonic weaponry? Robed Dark Angel torsos carrying sonic weaponry that 'mold the Warp into raw energy' for firing. Obliterators? Battle mages that have spells that act out each style of weapon, rather than anything mutation based (since true Thousand Sons abhored the flesh change gene). Raptors? Still working on those models, but I went with more robed marines riding around on swirling cyclones of warp fire.

I've been trying to figure out how to add more units into my army; I have a Defiler that's had the main torso cored out to have a terminator pilot, and my next addition is a Dreadknight to play as a Decimator. still no demons.

It's all in how you want to fluff it.

post #854 of 1100 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 11:06 PM

I am looking forward to the new Chaos forces, been wanting to collect them for a while but decided to hold off after look at the age and knew they would be refreshed at some point. With the quality of the models being pretty high i hope they won't disappoint. Looking forward to the new Land Raider variant. Hope these rumors an't false.
post #855 of 1100 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 12:18 AM

unless you've read the completed codex I wouldn't be bashing any units as useless yet simply because you can't find a use for them in a vacuum. If rumours are correct & there are a significant combinatino of marks and icons with different abilities available as options then who knows? Cultists may end up alright. They may be alright without the icons.

4 point scoring units that can be taken in blobs of 30? sounds alright to me! If aspiring champions / HQ's go the way of all the recent codecies where you buy a unit & split them off, you may have 30 cultists c/w plasma sitting on your backfield objective with an aspiring champion making them Ld 9 / 10. 120pts + special weapons to hold an objective, difficult to remove with shooting due to the shear number of bodies & the generally good leadership of chaos leaders.

Another option is to (a) bubble-wrap your units & vehicles as you march across the open.

take a unit (whatever size) to declare a charge with your meaty assault units so that your opponent is forced to either waste overwatch shooting the cultists or miss the chance to overwatch altogether if they try to hold for your power armored troops and your cultists make the charge.

Rumours also state that DP may allow vehicles to "eat" your troops to regenerate - would you want to lose a marine to throw a hullpoint on a rhino? I wouldn't, but a 4pt cultist? sure why not?

From a fluff point of view, ALL chaos worshipers use either cultists, or press-ganged cannon fodder. Slaanesh, Khorne, Nurgle, Undivided all have a significant history of rampant cult worship; obviously the word bearers, and alpha legion are known for developing infiltrator cults; Iron Warriors make use of pressganged imperial citizens / solders to weaken the defences of their opposition before the "real" assaults take place, same with black legion; the only legions whose use of cultists seems to be limited are the night lords & the thousand sons...

Cultists belong. Sure it is possible (and probably more competitive) to take imperial guardsmen as allies, but we don't know the functionality of units in the chaos book yet. Sacrifices, bubble-wrap, Icons and cheap as shit objective holders all have the potential to make cultists solid options.
post #856 of 1100 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 12:36 AM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
I'm not decrying the unit as useless - but let's not misrepresent them either...a blob of Guard is still scarier, because they have Krak Grenades and better shooting.
They do? Since when do Guardsmen have Krak grenades?

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #857 of 1100 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 12:38 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever handle View Post
If aspiring champions / HQ's go the way of all the recent codecies where you buy a unit & split them off,
???

I can think of 3 Codexes that ever did that...only one is recent, unless 3 years ago is still recent in your eyes?
post #858 of 1100 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 01:07 AM

Necrons & Space Wolves - I can't actually think of a 3rd. Both are recent. By recent I mean designed in the tail end of 5th edition. When you only get 3 books a year yes 3 years is pretty fucking recent.
post #859 of 1100 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 01:22 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Wolves were designed at the start of 5th, but perhaps that's semantics...

The previous Eldar Codex had the same mechanic for Warlocks.
post #860 of 1100 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 01:55 AM

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Cultists will be great to throw into a daemonically possessed vehicle that you dont want to use as a transport for the heals, if daemonic possession is what the rumors say

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode