Starter Sets Contents spoiled - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile13 View Post
Perfect! I use robed Dark Angel bodies for my Word Bearers! Definetly worth it for me. It does sound like alot though...
It's essentially the same amount of models as Black Reach, 20 cultists instead of 20 ork boyz, 6 Chosen CSMs instead of nobs, 3 ravenwing bikers instead of deffcoptas...

There has been, however, a persistant rumour going around that there will be two separate boxes for the starter set, one for each side, but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

At any rate, with what we see here it seems extremely one sided, unless the chaos guys are getting some serious buffing to them. The cultists seem to be guardsmen with a slightly worse save, and their shooting is going to do almost diddlysquat to the marines (perhaps a couple of tac squad guys at best, far worse against bikes or termies), while the firepower of the DAs could wipe both squads of cultists to nearly nothing in a turn if they chose to. However, it would probably be best for them to just gun down the dreadnaught and chosen with the plasma fire, then laugh as there's nothing to take on your deathwing. First turn, fire at range, take out most of the chosen (3 plasma shots and rending autocannon and plenty of bolter fire should mean only a couple left), second turn rapid fire plasma at dread, if it dies early, fire your tac squad at the cultists, 3rd turn, bikes and deathwing go in, cultists have almost no answers for either of them. Chaos lord does some damage, but for the most part it'll be a foregone conclusion. That's without the Librarian and whatever powers he gets even factored in.

Plus, squad of 10 cultists with assault setup? Even if they didn't get shot up before charging, they'll lose a couple of guys to defensive fire on the way in, and couldn't hope to go toe to toe with any of the DA units, even if they got the charge off. Bikes or terminators? 4s to hit, 5 or 6s to wound, 2 or 3+ save, means maybe (just maybe) a single guy dead, and they'll lose a few in return. Tac squad would lose a couple of guys, but will have far more attacks back to break the cultists (8 tac squad guys means 4 dead cultists). At least the Orks had st4 on the charge to help a bit, and T4 to make them survive the shooting a little better...

I dunno, it just seems so very very one sided at the moment. Perhaps there's something we're missing?

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 07-03-12 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 07:01 AM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

Nice, I just hope it will have a rulebook in (heard it won't,it will just have quickplay sheets) and be a good price like black reach
post #23 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 07:24 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_ninja View Post
Nice, I just hope it will have a rulebook in (heard it won't,it will just have quickplay sheets) and be a good price like black reach
I would be surprised if no rulebook was included. They included a mini book in 8th WHF so it would be a real break for them not to do it for thier prime seller.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #24 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 07:45 AM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

This would be great, but maybe the hellbeast isn't a dreadnought but a tough deamon?

It would fit the game narrative of the chaos guys trying to summon a warp nasty while the DAs have to try and stop them

I like the sound of the set a LOT, though I hope their is minimal sculpted iconography on the marines both DA and Chaos as hoping to add the DAs to either my blood ravens or ECs
post #25 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 07:59 AM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I would be surprised if no rulebook was included. They included a mini book in 8th WHF so it would be a real break for them not to do it for thier prime seller.
My worry is it will be either no rulebook, or a skinny version (no ally, fortification or second foc, or the 500pts game), just the basic 40k rules for basic games.

Or it will be a scenario booklet, quickplay sheet for the armies and weapons and nothing more, technically that's all GW has to supply until you spend £45 to play properly.

It's not beyond the realm of imagination
post #26 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 08:21 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

I am genuinely looking forward to seeing the ravenwing models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
This would be great, but maybe the hellbeast isn't a dreadnought but a tough deamon?
no, it's definitely a dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
There has been, however, a persistant rumour going around that there will be two separate boxes for the starter set, one for each side, but I'm not sure how much I believe that.
it's more a case of persistent wishlisting, the second box is just a special edition

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Last edited by Bindi Baji; 07-03-12 at 08:23 AM.
post #27 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 08:23 AM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

Why can't it be a dreadnought and a demon at the same time?
post #28 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnster View Post

It would fit the game narrative of the chaos guys trying to summon a warp nasty while the DAs have to try and stop them
Possibly, but I doubt it. I think "Hell Beast" is just it's name - each of the squads and characters has it's own name. All the Characters/units apparently have names (Captain Balthasar, Librarian Termiel, Tac squad Raphael, Raven wing squad Allian, Deathwing squad Balachar).

Anyway, saw someone postulate that perhaps in the missions the librarian could fall and go over to the chaos side, which would make it at least a little bit fairer (I'd still bet on the DA every time though, unless an amazing power was rolled). That's pure speculation though. I think it more likely that DA are just meant to win in a "cinematic" fashion through each starter mission. Then, when DAs win, you swap sides and you get to be DM for a bit, playing the Chaos forces, letting the other player heroically win with the DAs. Play it as a storyline scenario set (almost like space hulk), rather than as a balanced 2 player set sort of thing.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 07-03-12 at 08:31 AM.
post #29 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 08:45 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
it certainly could be

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #30 of 168 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 11:17 AM

Akhara'Keth's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
Dreamnought?

Check out my German 40k Blog!!

http://tausend-tore.blogspot.de/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode