GW goes after Wolflair, maker of Army Builder - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 07:32 PM

boreas's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
To be honest, this looks like a first move in clearing the way for what people have been asking GW to do for years, which is go digital more. Which would include more codeces online, and army builder would be in direct conflict with anything roster-related GW chose to release.

And did someone mention Army Builder charges? That's making money off GWs IP, which they've been coming down hard on whenever they can of late.

If people really want GW to make new things for them, then other companies that do it *will* be gone after. You protect your source of income, especially when it's your sole product (ie "warhammer").
I don't have a problem with GW going after AB. Just as long as they provide just as good a service. Actually, the one logical way to go about that would be to offer the service first, and then go after WL. Otherwise, it's just pissing off customers...

Oh and, yeah, pen and paper is crap because I don't want to have to recalculate my opponent's list. And also, I like to fiddle around those few leftover points. Or just sit around and toy with Ab, making various lists. Oh, and sending the lists over email when planning 2 vs 2 games. etc...

****Why won't GW help me like them? Let FW take over GW!!!****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 07:35 PM

davespil's Flag is: USA

AB isn't infringing on GW IP. The people who make the files for Warhammer 40k and FB are. AB supports many different game types including ones you make up yourself. If you by the product which I do and I enjoy it you can download a free program to design army files yourself. Also, I'm not lazy I just like starting with a blank canvas and dropping units in and out at the click of a mouse to come up with new list ideas.

For those complaining about those who use AB and don't do it with pen and calculator, I bet you guys walk everywhere instead of using a car, right? Its not lazy, it technology.

I honestly don't want GW to put one out there unless it results in a lower cost for AB. I'm not fond of anything GW does other then models.

Have guns, will travel...
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 07:56 PM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespil View Post
For those complaining about those who use AB and don't do it with pen and calculator, I bet you guys walk everywhere instead of using a car, right? Its not lazy, it technology.
Actually...yes I do walk everywhere.

post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 07:59 PM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_ninja View Post
Actually...yes I do walk everywhere.
Are you Amish? If so why are you using the internet!
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 08:02 PM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
Are you Amish? If so why are you using the internet!
I was unaware that to use the internet I had to stop walking?, but I certainly would not want to play a game where all the rules are on my computer or phone, it would be especially difficult if the computer was at home, its hard to carry a pc everywhere, and reading a codex on my phone?, Piss off.
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 08:09 PM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_ninja View Post
I was unaware that to use the internet I had to stop walking?, but I certainly would not want to play a game where all the rules are on my computer or phone, it would be especially difficult if the computer was at home, its hard to carry a pc everywhere, and reading a codex on my phone?, Piss off.
It was joke. Amish are a group of religious people who don't believe in electricity.
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 08:17 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Oh GWS.....I can only hope that this means that they are releasing their own version of army builder soon. But knowing our luck it will be an app that is only for ipad and it will cost 80 dollars. probably have to buy it new each addition too.
Doubt it... I expect its just GW legal trying to prove to senior brass that they are doing something of worth and helping to stop breachers of GW IP. Of course it'll be completely ineffective since you can't stop things spreading round the internet and does nothing but make GW seem like a bully... but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea... right?

This seems to be perfectly in tune with GW legal's normal actions, but I really can't see any reason for it or benefit to GW from going through with it

post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 08:19 PM

Have you seen some of the 40k communities hand writing abilities? I couldn't read a guys email address for a league that he wanted to play in...

I couldnt imagine trying to read 20 hand written lists for a tourney...

The Pen is Mightier.
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 08:29 PM
Facts + Reason = Win

Bubblematrix's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Doubt it... I expect its just GW legal trying to prove to senior brass that they are doing something of worth and helping to stop breachers of GW IP.
My guess too, it is about time that GW legal hammered something, they are like bored schoolkids and AB data files was an easy one to start on.

To be honest AB is doing nothing wrong (maybe taking links to IP infringing files will be asked for, but that is the limit) and GW wont be able to chase down then data files on all the internet, it just might get a little more difficult to find them and they may be slower in coming when a new codex is out.

Overall, it's a pain, but not that concerned - and if it means a GW version of AB then so long as it works and is multi-platform, I am all for it
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 08:32 PM

boreas's Flag is: Canada

I think I'd rather program my own AB files. Did it a few years ago for an alternative Tau BFG army (the FW list, I think) and it wasn't that hard...

Phil

****Why won't GW help me like them? Let FW take over GW!!!****

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode