6th Edition Rumors (1st Post Updated 22 June 2012) - Page 50 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #491 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-22-12, 08:28 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespil View Post
Five years is PLENTY of time! They need to hire more writers. Only having a few writers isn't justification for how few codices they put out, its justification that they don't have enough people doing the job!

Seriously, get a 40K crew together and write 3 codices a year. Throw in an expansion every year and a big rule book every five years and you're good to go. With the amount of war games out there and the size and respect that GW has it can grab some writers from other games. Its clear they need a dedicated team of rule writers anyway. As a Technical writer myself, I'm amazed that GW continues to function the way it does. It doesn't seem that they're in trouble financially, hire a few more guys to get the codices done. More codices = more money.
The more people working on one thing you have, less *less* internally balanced it will be. Too many cooks, and all. It's bad enough that management weigh in. I personally agree more guys would help take the stress off them (and boy, do they get stressed) but I also think adding more people in wouldn't help the game.

But this isn't the place for this discussion. This thread is for KEEN!

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-22-12, 08:46 PM

Vanchet's Flag is: United Kingdom

From what i saw in WD
Snipers can allocate shots if they get a 6 to hit
Jetpacks move 2D6 stead of 6
and hull points are in (land raider for example has 4)

I'm not insane I just lack sanity, there's a difference....................somewhere

post #493 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-22-12, 09:59 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
The more people working on one thing you have, less *less* internally balanced it will be. Too many cooks, and all. It's bad enough that management weigh in. I personally agree more guys would help take the stress off them (and boy, do they get stressed) but I also think adding more people in wouldn't help the game.
Things also haven't been helped by the fact GW lost a few people mid codex/armybook in the last couple of years

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

post #494 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-22-12, 10:07 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
Things also haven't been helped by the fact GW lost a few people mid codex/armybook in the last couple of years
Yeah. We'd've had a proper Sisters Codex by now if Andy hadn't gone. He was assigned it 5 years ago... *snif*

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #495 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-22-12, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
huh? what makes you think that. If they had more people throwing more ideas and more people cross working on multiple codices at once things would be more balanced not less.

Having 1 guy and a few helpers working on a codex over here, and another 1 guy and his helpers working on a codex over there is the kind of thing that causes balance issues.

Also having too few people limits variety of thought. Look at all the cool ideas come out of the community vs how few good ideas come out of gws 5 authors. It's because we have them outnumber 10,000 to one.

4,220 CSM
2,320 Necrons
1,870 eldar
1,000 witch hunters (trying to get rid of this)
1,000 SM (trying to get rid of this)
680 Tau (newest addition)
post #496 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-22-12, 11:10 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

All the 6th ed stuff is now up for pre-order on teh website!
post #497 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
All the 6th ed stuff is now up for pre-order on teh website!
So is a teaser video in the blog!

Here's what I gathered from the video and the pictures from the blog post:

Hull Points - "Every vehicle has a number of hull points indicating how much damage it can take before it is destroyed." So I'm guessing it works like wounds, but there wasn't anything listed on that bit about if they can be insta-killed.

Flyers (there was a bunch here but I'm only going to list the stuff I could read all of so I don't misinterpret anything):
Aerial Support - "Flyers must begin the game as Reserves."

Zoom - "If a Flyer Zooms it has a Combat Speed of 18" and a Cruising Speed of 36"."...."A Zooming Flyer can never voluntarilly move less than 18"." (If it somehow is forced to during it's movement phase it is destroyed)..."Zooming Flyers can make a single pivot on the spot of up to 90 degress before moving."...."Zooming Flyers can not Tank Shock or Ram nor can they be Tank Shocked or Rammed."...."Zooming Flyers can use up to four weapons if moving at Combat Speed or Cruising Speed."..."Zooming Flyers cannot be Assaulted."

Additionally the new rulebook is about 2", putting it at roughly the same size as the Fantasy one.

And both glancing and penetrating hits against armor exist, but how they work were not shown.
post #498 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 12:35 AM

MrPete's Flag is: Great Britain

Maybe i'm reading too much into this so forgive me, but perhaps GW is giving a little subtle hint as to the contents of the 6th starter?

Scrolling through the main page for the rulebook, the Dark Angels section of the book is featured. Chaos stuff is also shown. And the collectors edition has an interchangeable Aquilla/Chaos Star on the leather bag.

Perhaps a hint, in a kind of "nudge nudge wink wink" fashion?
post #499 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 01:09 AM

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Hey when was the GW preorder posted? I'm looking at local time and its been the 23rd in the uk for a good 2 hours now.

Also are there going to be any midnight relesed anywhere? I know my local game shop is having a tourniment that day but it'll be 5th ed rules as this event was planned ages ago.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #500 of 574 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 01:12 AM

Kelann08's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
huh? what makes you think that. If they had more people throwing more ideas and more people cross working on multiple codices at once things would be more balanced not less.

Having 1 guy and a few helpers working on a codex over here, and another 1 guy and his helpers working on a codex over there is the kind of thing that causes balance issues.

Also having too few people limits variety of thought. Look at all the cool ideas come out of the community vs how few good ideas come out of gws 5 authors. It's because we have them outnumber 10,000 to one.
Except too many people can mean to many ideas. The way the design system works is pretty consistent across games, be they tabletop or video. Parceling the work is typically the most efficient way to do it. Especially in a realm like this where some people gravitate to certain armies. I seriously doubt that everyone works on their own, no one checks it and then you end up with unbalanced armies. There's going to be one guy overseeing all of it and everyone likely sits in a large group from time to time to discuss how it all works. Silver may be able to speak to this more readily and accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
Maybe i'm reading too much into this so forgive me, but perhaps GW is giving a little subtle hint as to the contents of the 6th starter?

Scrolling through the main page for the rulebook, the Dark Angels section of the book is featured. Chaos stuff is also shown. And the collectors edition has an interchangeable Aquilla/Chaos Star on the leather bag.

Perhaps a hint, in a kind of "nudge nudge wink wink" fashion?
Doubtful. They also showed Tyranids and Eldar in the video. Chaos was a brief flash. Space marines, as no doubt one of a few posters is bound to rant about, were the most seen. There wasn't really anything that screamed "Dark Angels and Chaos!!!" The two pins for the bag are the two most recognized symbols in all the game. Eldar, Tau, Tyranid, Dark Eldar, Necron - none of them really have a faction defining symbol, hence it was logical that those two would have been used for the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obinhi View Post
Hey when was the GW preorder posted? I'm looking at local time and its been the 23rd in the uk for a good 2 hours now.

Also are there going to be any midnight relesed anywhere? I know my local game shop is having a tourniment that day but it'll be 5th ed rules as this event was planned ages ago.
No midnight releases in the Dallas area. I don't imagine many US stores would have them. Totally different environment for the hobby across the pond (I really wish I could get my wife to let us move...).

~600 points of Necrons - Phase 1
1500 points of Imperial Fists - Pictures Coming Soon

Do you live in the Dallas, TX area and love tabletop tactica? Check out Dallas Area Wargamers on Facebook.
We are working to become a community of wargamers from all over the area as well as a resource for those looking to enter wargaming for the first time.

The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us.
Fear our name, for it is vengeance.

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode