GW is putting stuff in Digital format. - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
I find that strange, desolatemm, because most players I know buy at least every other codex, afaik, and personally I have bought, since 5th came out, 6 of them.
5th edition was out for how long? 4-5 years? so 6 codex and a rule book over 4 years is still about $60 a year, same as $5 a month, and lets just say you are on the top end of the average. That means everyone below that amount is paying more than they would have spent otherwise (like myself). I strongly believe it would flatten out into a profit. Then the people who usually buy EVERY codex would be happy and get their content for a better price. Meanwhile a new-comer would have access to every armies rules and fluff and get into the hobby and the game much easier. You can can learn the rules for the different armies and that would facilitate faster and smoother games for new comers.

Created a poll here: How many codices have you purchased in the past 5 year?

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Last edited by Desolatemm; 06-04-12 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:44 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

4 years. At present prices here in the UK, that's 120 for the Codexes, and 45 for the BRB, except I bought AoBR for mine.

If we assume that expenditure though, that's 165 in 4 years, is 40 a year, is only 3 a month, so I suppose your point is correct that they could make more profit that way, on the face of it.
post #93 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolatemm View Post
I wish they had gone with an internal service tied in with their website and your GW account. A browser based system where you can buy books to add to your account and open them online, nothing downloadable. This would require internet access to view your books, but it would allow you to use ANY internet device. It would be secure because files are not being downloaded. The site can tell if your logged in, so multiple devices cannot be logged on at the same time.
This is exactly what I was thinking. As long as you can print off the needed pages for gaming this would be perfect. With the right plugins it could all be web based or they could develop an application, though I'm not sure GW would go that far. Not sure I would pay for access to armies I don't play, not enough Lamborghini money sitting around, but still, being able to at least buy what I needed would be perfect. Monthly subscriptions could be useful if you could just buy one for a release month to get to know the new book so you know what to expect too.

Quote:
I find that strange, desolatemm, because most players I know buy at least every other codex, afaik, and personally I have bought, since 5th came out, 6 of them.
I've bought two and neither since 5th came out

Though I do get bits and pieces of the books I play against. Never get a short game with any of my friends though oddly. Oh well.

post #94 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 07:11 AM
Arcane's Flag is: USA

Never saw a reason to buy a codex to an army I don't play so I only have 3. With Army builder and PDFs it's easy to learn about other armies you will be facing without buying another book.
post #95 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 10:30 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Desolatemm's suggestion does have merits.

However I can foresee a huge amount of rage based on people having to pay monthly when the BRB and their Codex have not been updated for years.
post #96 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 11:27 AM

Adramalech's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Desolatemm's suggestion does have merits.

However I can foresee a huge amount of rage based on people having to pay monthly when the BRB and their Codex have not been updated for years.
GW might still do it (they haven't made a whole lot of business sense as far as I'm aware) and I'm sure someone somewhere will pay for it.

I think individually-bought PDFs are a better idea both in terms of having a larger demographic than "idexes" (the new word I just made up for codexes on the apple ipad) and being MUCH cheaper to GW -and- to the consumer.

boobs. that is all.

Last edited by Adramalech; 06-05-12 at 11:30 AM.
post #97 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 12:45 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

GW considers the idex (great word!) to be of great quality, however, and that is their prime motivating factor. People will pay more for better quality goods, this is always the case, recession or no.
post #98 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 01:28 PM

boreas's Flag is: Canada

Yes, for an item of quality, people will pay more. But for a cheap convenient item, more people will pay When in recession, like now, I sell more of my (relatively) cheaper cosmetics (I own a drugstore). Big stores tend to see their sales fall...

So, if income-wise, (less people X pay more) = (more people X pay less), the second proposition has the merit of making more customers happy. The first proposition, though, has the merit of being a nice marketing stunt when shown to stockholders

edit: I've been thinking about desoltemm's proposition, and while it has merit, I just can't get over the fact that I like to own something I pay for. It doesn't have to be a physical thing, but at the very least something I can print in the case of documents. Jo so I can still use it if my connection to the net is impossible for some reason.

re-edit: Come to think about it, I've got another reason to be reluctant about the iPad/iPhone platform. I've found that those can get quite distracting while gaming. In my turn, I'd have opponents check their email, or download the latest movie trailer "just to show me...", etc... I've asked this opponent (which is my best friend!) to cut back on iStuff use while gaming.

Phil

****Why won't GW help me like them? Let FW take over GW!!!****

Last edited by boreas; 06-05-12 at 01:54 PM.
post #99 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 01:36 PM

Quote:
GW considers the idex (great word!) to be of great quality, however, and that is their prime motivating factor. People will pay more for better quality goods, this is always the case, recession or no.
I think it is of better quality, but I already own a physical copy and am not in a hurry to run out and buy an Ipad just to get one. If it weren't Ipad only and worked on other platforms I might have purchased one. There is a reason I don't have an Ipad and this simply isn't a big deal enough to go and get one.
post #100 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas View Post
re-edit: Come to think about it, I've got another reason to be reluctant about the iPad/iPhone platform. I've found that those can get quite distracting while gaming. In my turn, I'd have opponents check their email, or download the latest movie trailer "just to show me...", etc... I've asked this opponent (which is my best friend!) to cut back on iStuff use while gaming.

Phil
I had a friend doing that. He was looking up 40k related things and we had several players but if he wasn't rolling he was surfing. Annoying.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode