5ed defensive weapon fluff - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-08, 10:03 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

I still think that none of this is news or rumour. The title of the thread is even 'fluff'. I think it needs to be moved to fluff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-08, 11:32 AM

Dezartfox's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dudes, it's rules.. fluff and rules have never gone together and never will, space marines are meant to be super soldiers.. C'tan are meant to be GODS _

Keep fluff away from the rules, as it only causes arguments,
We're talking about a game, there's no point comparing it real life or scale, it's a fictional game with fictional races

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-08, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezartfox View Post
Keep fluff away from the rules, as it only causes arguments,
We're talking about a game, there's no point comparing it real life or scale, it's a fictional game with fictional races
Couldn't say it better myself

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-08, 06:25 PM

CommanderDuskstorm's Flag is: Canada

The rule doesn't bother me all that much, it just means I'll be spending less on sponsons and more on Devastator squads, or Heavy weapon platforms, or Infantry.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-08, 11:57 PM

Pirate Metal Troy's Flag is: Canada

Agreed. Stop bitching about your tanks, and use the extra points to field something else. I talked to a GW employee today and he seems to think that the tank movement rule might be isn't going to be even close to the rumors. so just wait out the next 35 days without crying. You may yet be able to use your silly guns.

Thousand Sons: 5W - 2L - 0T
Emperor's Children: 7W - 1L - 1T
Necrons: 1W - 2L - 1T
Salamanders: 3W - 1L - 1T
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-08, 04:07 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deprived_angels View Post
But if u hav weapons on ur tanks that dont need line of site like basilisk why move when u can hide and shell them to death
a basilisk is NOT a tank, that is a category that gw uses for simplicity. A basilisk is a self-propelled artillery piece. It only makes sense to have it in cover. A M.B.T., or main battle tank, such as the leman russ, should be dynamic, moving as the infantry advance, providing cover fire and heavy weapon support with the weapon systems that it has.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-08, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cabbage View Post
The 40K universe is ahead of our time in many ways but in many specific ways technology has degenerated.

It is only a game remember. I imagine 40K tanks to more like WW1 tanks in many ways. GW also point out in the rule books that many things such as the fog of war are impossible to get 100% correct and are represented by things like curtailed movement and weapon ranges.

The whole realism thing is for another thread.
exactly, the overall tech- level of the game is both more advanced(lascannons, plasma guns) and much degraded ("machine spirit"). The game does do a good job of representing the event as realistically as possible. There are some things that cannot be replicated without making the game a matter of accounting and laser pointers. It would make the game less fun.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-08, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of mortarion View Post
There are some things that cannot be replicated without making the game a matter of accounting and laser pointers. It would make the game less fun.
Unfortunately GW have released an official laser pointer

Personally im looking forward to the changes as I think putting more emphasis onto troop choices will help create a more varied style of play with more maneuvering for better position.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-08, 08:13 PM

Engelus's Flag is: USA

come on people, this is ridiculous, can't we trust the professional designers a little bit? they've been buried in the system for probably over a year.

Trust me on this because I know, No one understands the system as much as the designers who created it, they have so many numbers and variables in their heads that you could not even begin to see these minor changes from their perspective.

they are not on a mission to make the game worse, its their job and passion to make the game better, game design (just like programming) isn't about Brute force (complicated rules stacked one on top of the other) Its about elegance, doing the most with the smallest amount of rules. there is a lot to to be said about simplifying which is not the same as dumbing down, they are attempting to streamline a complicated system in a way that is above all fair.

get over it and trust, and before you know it you'll be arguing over all the "crappy" changes they are making in sixth edition.

to stress my point D&D 4th edition just came out and every god dammned rule in that system is a huge amazing improvement over how it used to be, but there are a lot of people who will be like "no I liked 3rd edition" everyone is resistant to change.

have trust.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-08, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelus View Post
come on people, this is ridiculous, can't we trust the professional designers a little bit? they've been buried in the system for probably over a year.

Trust me on this because I know, No one understands the system as much as the designers who created it, they have so many numbers and variables in their heads that you could not even begin to see these minor changes from their perspective.

they are not on a mission to make the game worse, its their job and passion to make the game better, game design (just like programming) isn't about Brute force (complicated rules stacked one on top of the other) Its about elegance, doing the most with the smallest amount of rules. there is a lot to to be said about simplifying which is not the same as dumbing down, they are attempting to streamline a complicated system in a way that is above all fair.

get over it and trust, and before you know it you'll be arguing over all the "crappy" changes they are making in sixth edition.

to stress my point D&D 4th edition just came out and every god dammned rule in that system is a huge amazing improvement over how it used to be, but there are a lot of people who will be like "no I liked 3rd edition" everyone is resistant to change.

have trust.
exactly. The switch to the universal special rules allows the designers to create kewl new units with less of the problems encountered in 3e, where a unit had a rule that countermanded a basic rule of the game, oe another army's special rule. The changes are to make tha game run smoother without losinf the sense of realness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode