6th Edition Rumours (1st Post Updated 17 June 2012) - Page 67 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #661 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I'm just saying that we look more like a group of well reasoned adults when we don't jump to conclusions before all the facts are in. Yes the actual rules CAN be bad, but more often than not the general reaction is considerably overblown, especially in light of how the full rules work (the rumored Ward Staves, the Necron Character who was rumored to hit all models in a unit that were the same with shooting attacks, and the possibility that Necrons were going to get FnP instead of Resurrection Protocols come to mind as a few examples of things I've seen get blown out of proportion on incomplete, incorrect or partial rumors). I just recommend salt and not jumping to conclusions. If you want to that's fine, but I'm still going to advocate salt, and waiting for the full ruleset before jumping to conclusions.
I understand what you are saying for sure. But it's hard to counter argue a lot of these things before we know the rules completely either. The whole point of this news and rumors forum is to say what we do know and talk about it. As for the incorrect rumors, sure they happen alot, but perhaps just as often the rumors end up being correct. It's worth while to say. After all, imagine if the necron character had ended up the way that we thought from the rumors. It would have been terrible for the game. Thing is we have to base our discussion on these things with what we know. We can't assume that GWS will implement something to make these rules ok. Sure it's not good to get fanatic about it, but there's nothing wrong with saying that if the rumor is true, it would suck.

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, but you're getting mad about a rumor that doesn't encapsulate the full Assault Phase. For all we know there'll be other rules that come into effect with this, or this could be more specific than we currently know.

And out in the open on flat ground, sure running isn't a problem and you should be able to cover ground easilly but on uneven terrain (or fields with gopher holes) or through craters, or over deep gravel I can say from experiance that you won't always be able to run as fast since the terrain could easilly cause a wide variety of injuries, or trip you up.
The rumor i've read is that charges are random in the complete open no matter what. And that if you are running thru difficult terrain it's even worse than it is now. To me this seems like too much. Difficult terrain already foils many a charge.

Quote:
The easiest way to fix the terrain thing is to ignore it if it turns out to be useless/broken. At my FLGS that's been the policy for the 8th edition magical terrain rules. The only exception is occasionally there is a peice or two added to a board for tournament games.
Fair enough. The thought behind ignoring rules that are in the core rulebook are a little iffy to me. But if everyone did it then I guess that would be cool. I'd just rather there not be any bad rules in the rulebook.

4,220 CSM
2,320 Necrons
1,870 eldar
1,000 witch hunters (trying to get rid of this)
1,000 SM (trying to get rid of this)
680 Tau (newest addition)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Fair enough. The thought behind ignoring rules that are in the core rulebook are a little iffy to me. But if everyone did it then I guess that would be cool. I'd just rather there not be any bad rules in the rulebook.
We found that given some bad rolls the entire board could kill you rather often, and it just led to use not wanting to play with terrain. The best way to deal with it was ignore the magic terrain.

EDIT: I think one of the worst instances was the Wood Elves player's free woods that he's allowed to place in his deployment zone which turned out to be magical and trying to kill his army.

Last edited by Zion; 06-13-12 at 02:44 AM.
post #663 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 02:40 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I don't think anyone likes the idea of having to ignore dumb rules, but we all know there's going to be at minimum one bad rule in 6th. It's inevitable.

post #664 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 03:47 AM

ohiocat110's Flag is: USA

Quote:
I'm sitting on the urge to start a Daemons army depending how the new rules look for infantry and deep striking look. So I can sympathize.
Exactly. I had a couple viable plans for fun foot Marine armies in 5th, but I'll be surprised if Infantry don't take another hit. Some of the stuff floating around like random assaults and nerfed melta will make even a BA DOA army a tough sell, much less footsloggers.

But maybe if it's not so bad and we see some of the rumored tactical options, 6th can be more than just a contest of who brought the most tanks.
post #665 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 08:11 AM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Don't forget, in 8th you get your movement *PLUS* 2D6 random. Currently in 40k we (usually) get 6", or D6/2D6 pick the highest through terrain.

I can foresee a whole movement overhaul if that's being brought in, as 2D6 in the assault phase is *too* random. There has to be a minimum guaranteed distance, and I trust Games Dev to know this.

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #666 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 10:07 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocat110 View Post
- Kill points. Why is my 50 point unit worth the same as your 350 point unit when figuring out who won?
To balance MSU and suicide melta. Trading a termicide unit for a land raider in a KP game is a zero sum equation. If you use VPs instead then suddenly you're ~150pts up in addition to the tactical effects of nuking their main transport. Hence DoA melta spam would be even better than it was. Also Razorspam armies would be even better (you killed a 35pt transport? Boo hoo. Guess I'll shoot your Falcon back and suddenly have quadruple the points) KPs are in the game for a good reason.

Quote:
- The near-invulnerability of passengers in transports that explode
It only looks that way because everyone plays MEQs or Open Topped transports. If Eldar or Tau had gotten a new book this edition then it would be a lot more noticable. As it is, ask any Guard player how much he likes losing ~50% of his squad every time a Chimera blows up and the remainder running away.

Quote:
- Vehicles will get even awesomer, because its the easiest way to drive expensive model sales. I have a feeling dedicated transports will become more or less mandatory for competitive armies.
Doubt it. The best option would be for them to drive infantry and bike sales now, because everyone already has a dozen APCs. They need to take the good options and make them mediocre, while making the mediocre options good. That's pretty much the pattern so far: Rhino rush 3rd -> Gunline 4th -> Mechanised 5th -> ???

With regards to the "Fantasy 40,000" rules we're seeing leaked, I just pray that they learned from 8th Ed and the thousands of people who bitched about how unfun it was. They seem to have been paying some attention because the latest army books are not as broken as the old ones were in the new system - e.g. More balanced Magic, less broken Magic Item combinations, less obnoxious deathstars/monsters and so on. Here's hoping they carry that across.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #667 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

More from Faeit 212:
Quote:
Tonight we have another set, with a minor correction (on cover saves), from Whitehat. He seems to have quite a bit of information on 6th edition.

Please remember that these are rumors. Salt Required.

Here is a link to the first set from Whitehat.
http://www.natfka.blogspot.com/2012/...distances.html

via Whitehat
Preferred Enemy: Reroll hits in CC & Shooting AND Rerolls 1 to wound.

I've checked, Black Templars vow, accept any challenge only gives Preferred Enemy in combat (damn)

The Pancake rule set is mainly wrong, but there is a lot of stuff that made it into the final product.

Expect FW to put out a book of there flyers but with added 6th Ed goodness.

I mistyped the cover saves. Ruins are 4+, the vast majority of stuff is 5+

I did not mistype WS1 for moving vehicles, they are not WS10 if they moved - flyers might be different; not sure.

Preferred Enemy change of reroll 1's to wound is in addition to current rules for Preferred Enemy

Flyers are noted in the BRB changing some of the existing vehicles (Summary sheet in the back)

Eldar Flyer, Void Raven and Tau I believe are in the same wave.
post #668 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 11:07 AM

Just been invited to a "Mystery Event" at my local GW by the manager on the 23rd, seems to coincide with rumours
post #669 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 11:08 AM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

KPs are in no way balanced or fair. I played a game a while back where I had 12KP o n offer, my opponent had 6 total. Once he'd killed off enough small units of cheap 'nids, there was no way I could win, even wiping out his force. Which is ridiculous.

Victory points are fairer, simply because it works on the *value* of what you kill, not just the fact it's a unit.

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #670 of 841 (permalink) Old 06-13-12, 11:42 AM

Well I did play an IG army with a 60 man squad, that was the most worthless KP ever. Though I did kill it.

Hope the vehicle addendum is true. Makes sense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode