New World-Class Gaming Arena: Birmingham - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 09:56 PM

Just fyi, if I go to a new club and there's a guy filling in a god damn questionnaire about my gaming skill levels I'm going to turn around and walk straight out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:06 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicon One View Post
Just fyi, if I go to a new club and there's a guy filling in a god damn questionnaire about my gaming skill levels I'm going to turn around and walk straight out again.
And you would be right to do so, because my whole idea is that YOU fill it in so that you can be directed to players of equal skill SHOULD YOU SO WISH to help organise games that could be considered more balanced and of better benefit to you, it would be YOUR CHOICE TO AGREE OR NOT, nobody is forcing you, its a helpful little aid.

It could also be useful in directing you to players who play other systems
"hi I have my prussian dystopian wars fleet, does anyone here play the system?
*staff checks paperwork* "indeed, come with me and I can introduce you to 2 guys we have who play it"
"oh wow cheers"

Unfortunately some people seem to think the whole idea is so your life and gaming practice can be controlled by outside influence completely
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:28 PM

pantat's Flag is: United Kingdom

Unfortunately a similar situation happened to me the first time I went to a gaming club when I was first getting back into the hobby, whereby I chose to play the only guy who was free (first sign) and he was sat with about 5 hobby cases with him. Needless to say I got caned in gaming terms (twice) but he wasn't actually a complete dick about it, he was pointing things out to me. Admittedly, looking back, he wasn't playing an 'uber list' considering it was grey knights, but there was no way I was anywhere near capable of beating him back then. He just played quite well tactically when I was still getting to grips with 5ed. I feel that in the long term that situation has actually helped my game because I know what I never want to turn into and I made a massive point of memorising the rules afterwards.

Yes, it isn't a situation I would like to go through again or inflict on someone else, but actually it spurred me on to improve tactically and not turn super competitive. However, it is part of my character to come out of situations and experiences like that and taking things on board and using that to push forward. However yes there are lots of people where that could easily have put the off the hobby and the club..

Perhaps instead of a questionnaire there should be an audition game to join the club?

post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:40 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
And you would be right to do so, because my whole idea is that YOU fill it in so that you can be directed to players of equal skill SHOULD YOU SO WISH to help organise games that could be considered more balanced and of better benefit to you, it would be YOUR CHOICE TO AGREE OR NOT, nobody is forcing you, its a helpful little aid.
So you don't even have to fill it in if you don't want to? Doesn't that defeat the point of having it in the first place or is it just me?

Quote:
It could also be useful in directing you to players who play other systems
"hi I have my prussian dystopian wars fleet, does anyone here play the system?
*staff checks paperwork* "indeed, come with me and I can introduce you to 2 guys we have who play it"
"oh wow cheers"
You don't need to go through a whole 'is this guy competitive or not' malarky for that. Just ask what armies they play when they turn up, and then put their name and army into a database. Just 'Chaos' or 'Grey Knights' or 'Khador' or 'Orboros' etc. , you don't need to post up lists or what the person's like.

You don't need staff to find you some gaming buddies - you should be able to do that yourself.

Quote:
Unfortunately some people seem to think the whole idea is so your life and gaming practice can be controlled by outside influence completely
Who are these people? I don't think I ever said anything about signing a questionnaire equating to someone controlling my life, or indeed about the system being based upon the staff 'controlling my gaming practice'. TKE? Dan?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:44 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Back to the point - i' recommend checking out Maelstrum games over in Nottingham - they have a really good set up with a large gamng area, bar and store, I think Wayland may be going a similar direction.

I am the White Knight!

post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
So you don't even have to fill it in if you don't want to? Doesn't that defeat the point of having it in the first place or is it just me?

You don't need to go through a whole 'is this guy competitive or not' malarky for that. Just ask what armies they play when they turn up, and then put their name and army into a database. Just 'Chaos' or 'Grey Knights' or 'Khador' or 'Orboros' etc. , you don't need to post up lists or what the person's like.

You don't need staff to find you some gaming buddies - you should be able to do that yourself.

Who are these people? I don't think I ever said anything about signing a questionnaire equating to someone controlling my life, or indeed about the system being based upon the staff 'controlling my gaming practice'. TKE? Dan?

Midnight
1: its part of the registration form so it would be filled in anyway
2: yes you can see what armies they play, but it helps you avoid certain types of play, so you could have
Bob: casual
Mike: competetive/casual
Jim: competitive
Now that means a casual player knows he can play bob or mike, and the staff can guide a player who knows neither to them, while a competitive gamer can post mike or Jim and also be directed to them, its called H E L P I N G.
3: why are you so fixated on translating my statement of "it helps the staff guide you in the right direction SHOULD YOU DO WISH" into "the staff WILL AND MUST organise your games and there decision is final"

When you register for a club, your putting your name, address, phone number any medical issues you have on a piece of paper, does it really cause you so much grief and grind your gears so much to write down what gaming systems you play, and if you competitive or casual, just to be used as a tool IF YOU SO WISH, to direct players of similar interest to you?, does it personally offend you so much that this info may be used to find you a new gaming buddy?
What if somebody was organising a tournament and you had no idea about it for whatever reason, don't you think this info could also be used to inform you?

Last edited by VanquisherMBT; 04-27-12 at 11:09 PM.
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 11:07 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maybe they could do videos instead?

"My name is Bob, I'm into casual games of 40k. I enjoy long walks on the beach and my favourite animal is a dolphin. Looking for like-minded gamers interested in 2000pt matches and possibly more..."

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 11:13 PM

slaaneshy's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Maybe they could do videos instead?

"My name is Bob, I'm into casual games of 40k. I enjoy long walks on the beach and my favourite animal is a dolphin. Looking for like-minded gamers interested in 2000pt matches and possibly more..."
Lol

"Hi Bob, you sound cute...I too like 40k and long walks - sometimes at the same time! If I pretend to be a dolphin, will you grab my fin and ride the waves with me?"

I am the White Knight!

post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 11:16 PM

Quote:
To quote you from earlier in the thread:
Quote:
It isn't hard to implement skill levels, we manage it down here easy enough by having a experienced club member track there progress, both in how much they paint/quality of paint, and how they progress in games, how much they learn, how they implement what they learn etc etc, and communicating to the other club runners on this persons progress to better help them improve
Running some kind of wargaming Stasi keeping files on your members to track various metrics and determine how they fit into the hierarchy of the club is, frankly, a little creepy and weird, even by the standards of wargamers.

That aside, you seem to be expecting that you'll have so many gamers flocking to your club that you'll be in a position to divide them up into all these subcategories based on skill levels and preferred gaming systems and gaming attitude. The majority of games clubs I've been involved with barely had enough players of all skill levels to cover one system (which usually ends up being 40K), never mind a whole range, and while Birmingham isn't exactly short on gamers, its not exactly short on existing clubs for them to play in. What exactly is going to attract in these diverse crowds of excited gamers to your club and away from their existing gaming groups?

Your optimism is commendable, but it seems rather like you're deciding on what colour wallpaper to put up in the spare bedroom before the house is even built yet. If you manage to pull off some massive coup and every gamer in Birmingham shows up to play, then great, but all these plans and subdivisions don't mean jack if gaming night rolls around and you only have three people show up.
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 11:22 PM
Banned

If gaming night rolls up and 3 people show up then yes the system is a waste in this situation

If next club 20-30 people show up and 10 of them are brand new and never been here and play a mix of 40k, fantasy and maybe magic the gathering or something you can then direct them to either
1: the club staff member in charge of those individual system (useful for those who are literally brand new to any of the systems)
or 2: to individual gamers
or if they want they can say "nah its ok I'll ask around"

That's hardly "creepy"

Last edited by VanquisherMBT; 04-27-12 at 11:24 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode