New World-Class Gaming Arena: Birmingham - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:42 PM
Rattlehead

Is it official that this guy's Stella now?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:48 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

I haven't once mentioned cheaters, although I dislike waac players it does not automatically equal a Cheater.

I also do not understand the extremely negative views on a simple system to try and improve the gaming experience for everyone in a club, it is a simple idea (that can certainly be extended on in greater detail), that requires work from somebody willing to put the time and effort in to help make the experience better for everyone not just themselves.

From certain peoples posts here I can only assume you play in extremely selfish, close minded communities, but just because you are burdened with that doesn't mean you should shoot down a persons idea to help.

In the end you want
1: ease of access (will it be easy to find, park near, and travel to via public transport at an affordable price)
2: surroundings (what shops would be close, what amenities are available,is the area "safe")
3: flexibility (how flexible is the club going to be to cater to gaming needs further that the 2 basics)
4: terrain (you want enough space for I would say at least 10 6x4 boards, and enough terrain to fill 30% of each, even if 30% is not used by players)
5: staff (will you have enough staff with the will to get involved, will there be a first aider?, someone to help in case of fire?, people to organise the tables before gamers arrive, people to help organize the games?, people to look after and guide new and experiences gamers?)
6: and what is the price (entry fee, food etc)

Last edited by VanquisherMBT; 04-27-12 at 06:57 PM.
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:54 PM
Rattlehead

I don't see how it can work; there's a mutual agreement to play a game, and if you agree to play against a WAAC player and lose, you can't whine about it - you've ruined his game by not playing to win, you're as much a victim as they are.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:56 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
I haven't once mentioned cheaters, although I dislike waac players it does not automatically equal a Cheater.
If it isn't cheating, then it isn't At All Costs, is it?

You're talking about Cheaters, or you're using a term that only rightly belongs to Cheaters to discuss Jerks - well, maybe you've noticed, but jerk-hood is partially subjective, and they exist in ALL sections of the wargaming fraternity.

As long as players adequately communicate what they desire from the game, there is no reason why every pick-up game shouldn't be a success without a need for the Gestapo Tactics you suggest.
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 07:04 PM
Banned

It is not gestapo tactics, its a way to help people, a way to guide them and give them suggestions

If a player in the end decides to play a waac player despite you suggesting they don't, then yes it is there fault, if however they have no idea of there opponent, his skill and attitude it is the clubs fault for not helping make either player aware, they basically abandon these hobbyists.

I am not saying you forcefully make players equal play another, your guiding.

Obviously as I said some people must have shitty gaming enviroments to suggest these are gestapo tactics, or suggest a waac player is as equal a victim as a casual player they prey on.
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 07:31 PM
Banned

Example

New player comes to club, they are nervous, quiet and timid
You people want no part to be played by the staff of this club, so for this example they have no part
Waac player notices new player
Waac player offers new player game
New player being eager and keen to play accepts
Waac player chooses a 6x4 board and sets up terrain to be in his favour because no staff were involved to do it BEFORE the club opens
New player being timid and inexperienced accepts how his superior sets the board
Players deploy
New player has a black reach + battleforce army (a generally accepted starting point)
Experienced player has purifier spam lust (a generally accepted power list)
The game begins
New player is slow to act, shows inexperienced tactics and choices and generally acts like a new player
Waac player exploits RAW to its fullest extent, exploits his list to its fullest extent and within a few turns wins
New player feels disheartened, confused and sad
Waac player...well does what they do best, gloats, boasts and acts like a cock
New player never returns, never buys more models and takes no part in wargaming
The staff taking no active role (as per certain posters obvious wishes and selfish beliefs) are oblivious to what has happened and never deal with the problem
Club fails.

BUT....at least we know, the waac player, was the actual victim in all of this.
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 07:54 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Again, dickheads don't need to actually have a good list to be dickheads.

As for that fabricated scenario, which of us said we didn't want staff to play 'any part'? Maybe someone who wasn't me actually said that and I missed it...Midnight, you?
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 07:58 PM
Rattlehead

Got nothing, Elessar.

If the timid new player didn't have alarm bells ringing by step 6, he deserved it. Even if there are no staff, there's always a neutral third party. I've done it for when people want to deploy Ymgarl Stealers - rather than finding a piece of paper and pen, hiding the paper, etc., they just tell me which terrain the unit's in. If your opponent's a cock, he'll almost certainly show that he's a cock before the game starts. Thus, alarm bells start before the game's even started - just refuse the game. Generally, you can tell a competitive player by their deployment - tight formations opposite refused flanks are a good example for tournament players, Land Raiders deployed sideways is a good jerk-detector.

Midnight

Last edited by MidnightSun; 04-27-12 at 08:01 PM.
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 07:58 PM
Banned

The fact you seem utterly against the idea of staff helping the players and leaving it all to its own devices shows to me you want them to have no active role in organising games

The fact you both are dead set against a very simple idea to try and help also reinforces my belief in this

The fact one of you actually has the audacity to say that a waac player could be a victim further reinforces this.
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 08:06 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

You are deliberately misunderstanding us.

It is not the job of the staff to arrange games for players, or to police players' skill levels. It is the responsibility of PLAYERS to deal with undesirable elements within their group. If you have such a noobslayer try to beat on the inexperienced, then the other players should take him to one side and tell him such behaviour is unacceptable. If he persists in his bullying, then the players should ensure he has a lot more difficulty getting games, intervening if they see him behave inappropriately.

Eventually the tool will learn that he needs to learn to take others' feelings into account, and basically play nice with others - it's a lesson EVERYONE should learn, at some stage in their lives...the number who haven't, especially in our niche hobby, depresses the hell out of me.

Staff members should NEVER prejudice things by taking sides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode