New World-Class Gaming Arena: Birmingham - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 01:48 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I was thinking more Sisters of Battle But I bet Max would like them too
If its sister repentia, yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

The stripper market is over-saturated in Birmingham(so I've heard).
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 04:26 PM

turel2's Flag is: Great Britain

Coventry is in dire need of a place to play.

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 04:37 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

My main interest/concern would be in having the tables mutable. While unique and interesting tables are fantastic, they are...less than ideal...for any competitive events, and these would naturally be a great way to fill the hall and turn a nice weekend's profit. As a result, I think it'd be important to have the facility to make all the tables as close to identical as can realistically be expected for whatever quantity of board that is.

Having the capacity to move them to create larger boards, for showpieces and Apocalypse games would also be fantastic, player choice is a driving factor for everyone.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 04:46 PM

Ultra1's Flag is: USA

if i were in your area i'd like to see a place with nice terrain. sweet terrain makes games more fun for me. my local game store is small and has a limited selection of terrain and most of it isn't painted. i don't think the owner makes enough to put the serious amounts required into getting nice terrain. you'll have to be careful though, not all people are careful with things that aren't theirs. make sure you have enough space to properly store it, make sure you label the areas so you don't have terrain all jumbled up anywhere they can find to put it. this will help keep it neat and orderly.

i'll also second selling snacks and such, my local only sells sodas and while nice, it'd be better if he sold snacks. he'd probably make a small fortune off peanut M&Ms from myself alone.

also, get starter boxes for games so that newcomers can try them out ie island of blood, black reach, warmachine starter etc. have them painted so the newbies can see how cool everything looks.

a designated area for people to paint would also be nice, buy a couple of tall floor lamps for better light in that area.

get some really nicely painted minis and put them in a display case, this will also help with the lookers, you could let regular patrons store extremely well painted minis in the case so you didn't have to buy and paint them yourself.

well those are my thoughts on the perfect game store. hope that helps.
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 04:57 PM
Banned

I also would like to know about the local gaming interests, is it just 40k and fantasy?, is there known to be a adequate historical gaming scene (and I don't mean flames of war, that's not historical).

How open are the people who may attend to other systems?
Will it be a mostly competetive scene?
What would be some basic rules? (i don't want to come and play against grey plastic or poorly done models, a set skill level system would be nice so people are put against equals in all things)
What's the area considered like? Easy to get to? Quiet area? Shops local to? Public toilets near or in venue?

I know that's part of what this is for, but if its being set up by gamers for gamers there should be a good idea already, if its not being set up by gamers my interest plumets to nil (gw is already staffed by people with no interest in the product)

Last edited by VanquisherMBT; 04-27-12 at 05:00 PM.
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 05:06 PM
Rattlehead

Only certain skill levels allowed in is both hard to enforce, and a bad concept. If some guy has an international tournament-winning list, gloats when he wins and gets moody when he loses, it's your fault if you play against him. It'd be a lot easier, and better, to allow any skill level to turn up, but perhaps have various sections - the problem that comes in is 'how do you define a skilled player?'

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 05:10 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

"The World War Two Miniatures Game" isn't historical? Oooookay...

Vanquisher, as I'm sure you've noticed, nobody force you to play with anyone else, nor they with you. If you turn up out of the blue and no-one there has a fully painted army/wants to play against Forge World units/thinks taking 2 Voxes in one squad makes sense with no special weapons to make the good orders usable, then simply wait for someone else to play. I think everyone wins in that scenario.

As for your last bogus claim...Since GW employees are compelled to have armies in each of the systems, if they WERE disinterested, then I'd think that fair enough, since no-one likes to be FORCED to have a hobby...
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 05:24 PM
Banned

It isn't hard to implement skill levels, we manage it down here easy enough by having a experienced club member track there progress, both in how much they paint/quality of paint, and how they progress in games, how much they learn, how they implement what they learn etc etc, and communicating to the other club runners on this persons progress to better help them improve

This easily avoids putting new players against experienced players (until ready) who may scare them off from the game, or an over competetive player who runs the risk of being a waac jerk

I did not say "ww2 miniatures game not historical", I suggest ellesar that if you have troubles reading forum posts and quoting what is said accurately you avoid using them, and since you have blown the rest of what I said into your fantasy realm of just being silly I will not continue to communicate with you

If our club down here can handle this, any club can.

Also good quality boards is very important, as is ALLOT of good quality diverse terrain (this is not cheap so any club must be extremely serious about commiting)
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 05:29 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Yes you did, that is Flames of War's tagline.

Also, 'mate', if you can't type people's names correctly, I suggest you refrain from doing it.

Easy way for a club to avoid one of their buddies being a WAAC jerk? Don't have such people in your club...Nobody likes cheaters after all, it's a simple matter to prevent them getting games.

Also, I'd say more that you talk AT people, really...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode