Miniwargaming Dark Potential Fundraiser - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Default Miniwargaming Dark Potential Fundraiser

For those of you who do not know the guys over at Miniwargaming are hoping to create a new miniatures game. The problem is development cost at around $2000 per miniature. So they've started a fundraiser to try and get the project off the ground.

Normally I would classify this as a charity type thing which isn't really allowed to be posted but they just reached their goal of $10 000 to create the first 5 miniatures so no matter what they will still make the 5 miniatures.

There are allot of videos they have put out where they talk about what Dark Potential will be, timeline, story etc.

If you think Dark Potential sounds interesting take a look, personally I dont care much at the moment but I will be keeping an eye on the project just in case they come out with some female models.

Dark Potential History

Bah, too many videos to link.
Just go to this url and you will get a listing of all vids

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 04-03-12 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 05:57 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

The rules seem loose and uninteresting to me. Nothing really stands out as inventive or original. From what I can tell its a move shoot assault you go I go system. Wounds is an old and boring idea imo too. Why give a model "wounds"? Is it needed? The toughness of a model should be used to factor wounds imo. Especially in a system like this where it's x - x to figure out damage. Give models with more wounds extra toughness - that way they shrug off hits.

Consider this... a polar bear could probably take a shot from a 9mm pistol better than you or I. Upgrade that to a 7.62 though and I'm sure it'd flatten the fucker. That Fact should be represented in the toughness... he's harder to hurt, but hurt is hurt... so getting hit with a bigger round shoul put him over.. not tick a wound off his chart.

Wounds is an unnecessary element in any game like this.

Spending a command point to force a reroll or make a reroll would make the game pretty boring and dare i say.. random?

Last edited by Jezlad; 04-03-12 at 06:07 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 07:53 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

MATT IS AWESOME!!! I followed this thing since it was called Primal Horizon hahaha! I REALLY hope thaey make a X'lanthos model! they sounds badass! Matt kicks ass!! WOOOO!!!!

Was actually going here to post this same thing when I saw someone beat me to it!

btw, I LOL'd at the part where he was all like "10 000 dollars is a goal for little children!" Awesome!

http://igg.me/p/84886?a=527660 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and madcowcrazy, there will definitely be female models. In the indieGoGo fundraiser video at 1:05, there is concept art for some kind of cyborg girl! :O looks like a simple sculpt as well, so I doubt it will get scrapped.

when do you guys think the models will be available to be sent out to the $50 buyers?

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 04-03-12 at 08:07 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightKid333 View Post
when do you guys think the models will be available to be sent out to the $50 buyers?
Isn't this something that should be asked of MWG rather than asking us?

I'd say in 2-3 months at a minimum anyways since the fundraiser lasts for 30days, then you have development and modelling which could take another month unless the sculpts are already done, finally there is the casting process.

Have they said what kind of material they will be casting in? I hope it's not metal...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 08:44 PM

I'm definitely interested by this and will periodically check the MWG site. The overall concept appeals to me but I'm not about to start a new game anytime soon. Hopefully when things are more fleshed out I'll have the desire to invest in a new game.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 10:13 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Further to my point regarding the polar bear...

I'd be inclined to have a system where the models "toughness" (to use a known term) is subtracted from the strength of the weapon +D6. If the total is over a specified threshold the model is gone. If the resultant number is less than the figures toughness it shrugs off the hit - no effect. He takes the shot, stumbles and continues.

Wounds is an unnecessary element in any game like this. You're either fucked or you're not. The whole concept of wounds is retarded - you can take 8 cannon balls to the face fine... but the ninth one always kills you... thats bollocks. If anything, a model with 4 wounds out of 5 missing should be impaired. Not 100% perfect. Give it a stat reduction... anything. Every shot should have the capacity to kill a figure (assuming its strong enough). This procedure would also promote more strategic decisions upon the battlefield.

Instead of

"that model has 3 wounds, those 2 lasers can take off 2... then I rip them up"

it'd be

"hmmm, I'm tough, so statistically that shot won't kill me - but it might *tremble* - If my physical attributes hold fast I'm in to rip them up"

Which of the former scenarios is more fun and exciting to the player? Or the opponent?

I hate wounds. God mode shouldn't exist.

You get one shot at life... lets make our wargames more real...

Last edited by Jezlad; 04-03-12 at 10:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 10:21 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Further to my point regarding the polar bear...

I'd be inclined to have a system where the models "toughness" (to use a known term) is subtracted from the strength of the weapon. If the total is over a specified threshold the model is gone. If the resultant number is less than the figures toughness it shrugs off the hit - no effect. He takes the shot, stumbles and continues.

Wounds is an unnecessary element in any game like this. You're either fucked or you're not. The whole concept of wounds is retarded - you can take 8 cannon balls to the face fine... but the ninth one always kills you... thats bollocks. Every shot should have the capacity to kill a figure (assuming its strong enough). This procedure would also promote more strategic decisions upon the battlefield.

Instead of

"that model has 3 wounds, those 2 lasers can take off 2... then I rip them up"

it'd be

"hmmm, I'm tough, so statistically that shot won't kill me - but it might *tremble* - If my physical attributes hold fast I'm in to rip them up"

Which of the former scenarios is more fun and exciting to the player? Or the opponent?

I hate wounds.

You get one shot at life... lets make our wargames more real...
You should consider sending this to [email protected], or post it on the MWG forum. I will gladly do it for you and give credit if you prefer not to, though.

And yeah Madcow, I later realized that I should ask matt that question.

I think I remember hearing something about the models being ready in late summer/mid-autumn, though.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 11:14 PM
Slave to Heresy!

I have a half developed set of rules that are 50 times more engaging and fun than those. But I'm going to self publish these some day in the next year or two so I won;t be contributing any of my ideas to anyone elses system

This particular system has another point I find weird... the defence vs ranged attacks.

You ever seen someone or something that can defend a bullet?

The whole concept of defence seems weird... what exactly are you rolling against? Does the stat mean anything?

Model A has a defence of 5. So subtract that from the ranged attack of the model firing... what is this stat? What does it represent? Is it the models ability to perform a fast limbo and duck under the bullet?

Alien concept to me, shooting is completely dependant upon the firer, cover and the speed/size of the target.

Defence is unnecessary. Unless of course the defence is the size of the model... then you'd have the problem of large targets being really easy to hit.

Last edited by Jezlad; 04-03-12 at 11:21 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 03:58 AM

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Sorry to pipe in like this Jezlad, but the idea of wounds does make quite a bit of sence in terms of real combat. Take modern war for example. a standard 5.56mm round will not provide a single kill shot as it is mainly designed to penitrate light body armor and tends to be going as such a high speed to punch thru the target in question. Now, I am an ammo troop, not a combat troop. If I get shot, I for one will be thinking about my wife and kids, and am going to hit the dirt and call for medical evac: one wound. If I am in an Alamo situation where evac is not an option, I would say that I would be good for two wounds, at least for the battle. I would most likely die of blood loss near the end of the battle. Special Operations groups or Elite troops would be trained to resist pain and to understand that a limb wound so long as it did not restrict mobility can be ignored until the mission is compleated.

So if you want realism you need to ask yourself how do you accurately depict the same round in the event of a limb shot, gut shot, or head shot? When I am in a situation where death or victory is my only option I am going to fight thru the pain, where if I know quarter and medical care will be provided, I will step out of the fight in the event of a wound. Is that situation a matter of wounds or toughtness? What about the crazy MFers who can fight thru a broken back and all else?

http://www.history.army.mil/moh.html

How can you account for the stories on that site in a game mechanic?

I for one feel that the miniwargaming system is not my cup of tea, as I like the simple system that GW has provided is more my speed. I would however love a more RP style war game but I seem to not have the time for it, something about 4 kids...

As for bullet defence we have plenty for a person. First is movement, that helps alot, anyone who has been thru basic knows the montra "I'm up, they see me, I'm down". After that we have a chest and back plate system that weighs about 60 pounds. Its heavy as hell but it will stop a .50 cal shell under the right conditions. (like god deciding he likes you that day.) The helmet is really to stop frag and falling debris not a bullet for the most part.

I do have to say that cover is overstated. Most AR rounds will punch thru a car door let alone foliage. I know GW says that is about it being harder to hit the dude not about stopping a round.

My point in this wall-o-text is that you cannot be 100% accuracate in your simulation of actual war. You cannot account for the emotions and feelings of being at war. When me an my buddies came under fire in afghanastan(sp) I was a younger airman and decided it would be funny to have a foot race to the bunker. The older guys ran inside first to grab armor and rifle, others got a radio to call the attack in. (the rockets hit about 250 yards north of us.) We all acted according to our training, but flavored with our own personalities. Sorry about the text wall. just my two pennys.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Last edited by Obinhi; 04-08-12 at 04:00 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-12, 07:30 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

So.....we have to donate to create a game that we have to pay to buy the mini's for and these guys will make a pretty penny off?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode