Tourny Rant? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 05:18 PM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

The problem I find is that the second you offer up even a single event with physical prizes, wether 'free' product or outright cash value, you encourage & foster a sense of entitlement in the participants.
Now it becomes 'expected' that every single event will offer up prizes, and if you don't, well, you're at fault because you've already offered up prizes in the previous event/s.

We tried to break this trend at our local GW store. Suffice to say, the first event we ran that offered up just 'bragging rights & a good time!' had a record low turnout. (3 people showed up, when typically we'd have had 15-20+ when we offered prizes)

Those who'd normally attend our events went on a verbal rampage against us, but we just stuck to our guns and continued running events with no prizes beyond having some good fun.

Eventually, after about a year, our attendance slowly crept up back to about where it had been before. And best of all, those who came out had a tone of fun! No more arguments over rules or players being unsporting... No more whine fests about cheesey lists and broken rules...
We also found that those who stayed away because we didn't offer-up actual prizes tended to be the ones who caused most of the trouble!

Good riddence I say! Prizes at events are nothing but a cancer that encouraged douchebag behavior and being a total dick. Send the mercenaries packing on their merry little way so they stop ruining the fun for the majority of people who are looking at tournaments as being a fun experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 06:07 PM

boreas's Flag is: Canada

In a weird way, we actually decided our local tournament (a private tourney with about 32 friends) wouldn't have GW prizes anymore. First, everyone had anough generic kits (eg cities of death buildings). Second, local stores are all too small (heck, you can't fit 32 persons in the local GW store even without tables) or don't really encourage GW (in the case of FLGS).

So now we have medals, dog-tags, keychains and stuff like that made with the category (eg Best General, Best Painter,...) and logo of our group. Pretty much all of it was well like and cheap enough to keep the fees low.

I contacted GW once or twice with links to our forums and pictures of the tourney and armies. I knew they used to give nice stuff like that Marneus Calgar banner, posters, etc. Never got an answer...

Phil

****Why won't GW help me like them? Let FW take over GW!!!****
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 07:03 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

I like the prizes at the local tournaments... it is a nice bonus. As an end, it is a bad reason to go.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-12, 08:47 PM

Kastle's Flag is: USA

Ok...so I run the Local game store in my area, and have been working wiht my rep, and depending on the modules(new stockist program) your store gets a consider amount of support form them, to do anything form buying terrain, to tourney prize support, to sending back out of date product...

"When you get to heaven may the Devil be your judge.."
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-12, 03:53 AM
Creator of Chaos's Flag is: Australia

Nothing wrong with a prize at the end of a tournament as long as that is not the reason you go. The reason you go is to have fun, muck around and claim bragging rights, a prize is just a bonus, a nice 1 at that but not a means to an end especially at locals or small events it only encourgaes people to be reckless, bring cheese lists and act as rule sharks. If I'm only after a weekend of fun I dont want any of the aforementioned, I just want to play and run around with my necron warriors, if theres a prize great, if there not no big loss Its just a game after all.

now if its a regional or some bigger event where statewide/National status is on the line then you could make an arguement for having prize support since these events tend to get hundreds of people who pay to get in and try to get glory so they can go on to even larger events but these events tend to be far more serious then your local weekender anyway but even then if your getting national status do you really need a prize?.

Bringer of Truth, Slayer of the Incompetant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode