Ard Boyz No More? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Wargaming News and 40k Rumors Discuss and share wargaming news, new releases, warhammer and 40k rumors here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

SuperSquid's Flag is: USA

Default Ard Boyz No More?

Doing this from the phone so forgive anything I may have missed. I just got a Text from a buddy that works at my LFGS telling me that GW is doing away with Ard Boyz Tourney. Anyone else hear about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 07:24 PM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

Good riddence.

'Ard Boyz was nothing but poison that only fostered the idea of playing beatstick lists and ruthlessly crushing your opponent as harshly as possible. Thus leading to endless wonky RAW arguments in order to break the rules as much as possible in order to simply win.
Not to mention it was the death of painting and led to masses of sprue-grey & pewter-white armies, sometimes half assembled and a non-stop arms race to find the outright 'best' list and/or 'most competitive' army.

Maybe the local store will finally see well balanced & themed armies for the first time in 3+ years?!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 07:29 PM

Sem'ael Elear's Flag is: Canada

Damn 3000 points of the army of your choice for placing top in the semis... Thats pretty sick

The aftermath is red. The ground is stained with blood. Death is everywhere. A god laughs. All is darkness...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 10:20 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Never played in it, but yea it seemed to bring out the worst in people and their armies. So good riddance.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 10:21 PM

Ultra1's Flag is: USA

i heard that from a friend. i think it sucks, i really enjoyed the ard boyz i played in last year. i didn't do well, but it was a lot of fun. anyone know why they'd cancel such a popular tournament?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 10:37 PM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by experiment 626 View Post
Not to mention it was the death of painting and led to masses of sprue-grey & pewter-white armies, sometimes half assembled and a non-stop arms race to find the outright 'best' list and/or 'most competitive' army.
Hmmm...

Unpainted armies have plagued this hobby since the day I started (years before 'ard boyz format even excisted in 1996).

And cheesy lists were nothing new back in those days either. Aaaaaah, the good old days of herohammer... No wait.... They sucked and the game is a much healthier state right now.

Don't blame a tourney format for these types of things! They have been around for years!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 10:46 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Clearly people have never been to tournaments. Beatsticks are fine. RAW arguments only happen because of the severe retardation of GW's editing team. But yes, Tard boyz was a shit tournament, if you want to see real tournies look at Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 11:14 PM

This is disappointing if it is true. I had some of my best games ever during Ard' Boyz. Best because they were honest games where we beat the living hell out of friends and amazingly epic things happened. Almost no one got mad, almost no one was a prick. Pretty much everyone there encouraged their opponents and wished them the best before stomping them face-first into the curb (in-game of course). I liked it because of the point size. There have always been great armies year-to-year and most of them were complete and painted, although mine never were... I hope it sticks around...

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 12:18 AM
hydrus's Flag is: USA

I am glad they are putting away the 'Ard Boyz tourney away. I have visited a lot of GW stores during the season watching some games when I was 12. The crap they put in the lists is astonishing. Everybody cared nothing for the actual game and did all they could to win. Some years I couldn't hear myself think about my own game with the people next to me going at it about RAW. This tournament in my head basically waves a sign around saying, "Hey! Have a list that everybody hates you for? Wanna take the fun out of the game? Come play with us! You are surrounded by no one else but your own kind!" It sickened me. Sure power players have always existed. Beatstick lists have always existed. With the Ard boyz tourney, it was people like that to have an excuse besides "I wanna win so I am going to bring this bat of an army and swing away". I personally enjoy tournaments, I have done Adepticon since I was 10. At least that has some control over how people play. Ard however, it was just a shit sandwhich. Good riddance.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 01:13 AM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

The point was efficient list building, which showed when leafblower guard appeared. That is competitive play for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Wargaming News, New Releases and Information > Wargaming News and 40k Rumors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode