Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Faction name and design! Suggestions!

8K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Serpion5 
#1 ·
Okay, the purpose of this thread is general brainstorming.

Ideas, namely those to do with our Faction's name and general description. Loose and general ideas are what we need here, something to begin us moving in a set direction. :)

Additionally, preliminary ideas for the unique race to be incorporated should also be placed here. :) Once we have a decent idea of where we're going, a dedicated thread will be set up to expand upon this race in detail.

:victory:

#37 · (Edited)
I rather like the concept Jonileth's got going, although I think Armaroro has some points. Putting aside point-by-point examination for now, I don't like the idea of there being only a handfull of Gnosis, it doesn't fit well with 40K. Even if it's only a small alliance, I feel like they should be numerous enough to wage war on a galactic (or at least sector) scale. Alternatively, they could be super-heavies on par with titans; that rout could also kill a few of the birds hanging in the air right now.

I'd also like to propose another idea. I've seen the idea of Angels as a foil to the Daemons around before, and I've been mulling it over. I think you could take it in some interesting directions.

Imagine, if you will, that the Sensei (for those of you who don't know, descendents of the Emperor) manage to put their plan into motion but ultimately fail. Although their attempts to restore the emperor are unsuccessful, they are able to ascend into the Warp and merge among themselves to form a new Warp Demi-God who's "domain" is dedication to a higher cause, Self-Sacrifice, and Martyrdom. As they failed to ascend with the Emperor, they are not powerful enough as a Chaos Entity to challenge the four, but their collective efforts birthed a presence strong enough to avoid being casually swept away by any of the four individually. They are able to exist because if any of the four committed the effort to eradicate them, the other three would be able to leap upon the offender after they were weakened by the battle.

Their Daemons would essentially be Angels of the Imperial Cult, but viewed as heretical by the Exilarchy because of their warp-bound nature. Humans that were inspired by them would be motivated to form a cult around them, some Eldar intrigued by the potential significance of this new entity could get on board, and as it's power grew and it's host of "Daemons" became more powerful it's influence and message of a new Imperium more dedicated to it's highest Ideals could attract more and more followers.

#38 ·
Okay. Here is my idea for an original race. It is a "body snatchers" trope and pretty similar to another sci-fi race in existence.

Tegrum

The Tegrum are a species of small, sentient organisms, dependent on obtaining a symbiotic bond with another organism for survival. In exchange for the nutrients and protective outer organism of the host, the Tegrum secrete a mixture of chemicals that improve the physique and cognition of the host. (Not really sure what a Tegrum should look like outside the host.)

Origin

The Tegrum originated in a distant galaxy, long ago developing a drive to "unite" all races they encountered. Their diminutive size often meant that even should a host be destroyed, they could survive until recovered. Though a Tegrum will usually do all it can to protect its host, especially when a replacement may be difficult to come by. Mature Tegrum are capable of gaining full control over their host for periods of time.

Those Tegrum that journeyed to the Milky Way all had the same host species that would also come to be known as Tegrum. The hosts are humanoid, though lacking in defining features, more resembling "blanks"(simple clones) than individuals. Though no larger than a typical human, they are heartier with prolonged lifespans and the combined intelligence of host and symbiont.

Stages of Symbiosis

The Tegrum have a complex life-cycle, largely dependent on inhabiting a compatible host species. Traditionally, the Tegrum seek volunteers to become hosts, believing that only the willing can benefit fully from the mutual existence. However, do to the heavy opposition of the natives of the Milky Way, some Tegrum have begun to force the symbiotic relationship upon hosts in order to ensure the survival of their offspring.

Stage 1: Larvae: Extremely young Tegrum are incapable of survival on their own. They also cannot survive inside a host, lacking the development to suppress a host's immune system and integrate into the body systems. They are kept in large "ponds" aboard their progenitors' vessels, where caretakers tend to them, ensuring optimal growth and development. These "ponds" function similar to a brain and caretakers can input data to teach the Larvae.

Stage 2: Juvenile: Tegrum at this stage of development are typically placed into a host species. They will initially suppress the host's immune systems but once integrated into the body and "camouflaging" themselves to seem a part of that body will strengthen it ten-fold. A Tegrum host is virtually immune to disease and all but the strongest toxins.

At this stage, the Tegrum cannot control its host, though the two can communicate. By this point, a Tegrum is already considerably intelligent and will sample the host's memories for valuable experience and learn as the host does. As it gains nutrients from the host, it will secrete chemicals to improve the host in addition to improving the immune system. At this stage, the primary secretion slows cellular decay increasing the host's lifespan. The host also becomes more resilient.

Stage 3: Mature: A mature Tegrum is essentially non-removable, except by its own free will. It can temporarily gain control of the host, typically done to share its wealth of knowledge with others, though also because they have learned to control the host's body faster than the host. Fibrous nerve endings have spread throughout the host and a Tegrum controlled host can be dangerous in combat.

By this point, the Tegrum's secretions have made the host heartier and more survivable in combat situations. Combined with the advanced weaponry developed by the unified creatures, the host creature is a strong warrior.

Stage 4: Venerable: By this point, the Tegrum itself has lived no less than 500 years, often in the care of multiple hosts. Afterall, they only slow the growth process of the host, not stop it. A venerable Tegrum is capable of controlling the host indefinitely, though few do. Free will is an important concept in the Tegrum social structure. Though the species has begun to recognize that free will may need to be sacrificed in favor of survival.

Should a Tegrum of this stage deign to enter combat, it is nigh unstoppable. The host body has been hardened and made incredibly resilient. A human host at this stage would be on par with an Astartes.

Acceptable Hosts

Due to the requirements needed, not all species in the galaxy make good hosts for a Tegrum. Their Blanks were the most compatible species from their glaaxy of origin. The most compatible species in this galaxy are Human, Eldar and Tau. Species such as Necron, Dark Eldar and Tyranid are completely incompatible due to their unique physiology or brain structure. Other Tyranid will actively seek to destroy a Tyranid with a Tegrum in it. An Astartes is considered a prime example of a host creature but only a Venerable Tegrum can hope to survive the implantation process, do to the Marine's formidable immune system.

Because the primary means of host interaction is through electrical impulse, mechanical bodies have begun to be produced for Mature Tegrum. These bodies are very sturdy but difficult to maintain. The nutrients normally received from a host must be artificially introduced and most Tegrum would prefer not to have an artificial host.

Another growing trend among the Tegrum is to implant into a non-sentient life form. Donarian Clawed Fiends and Fenrisian Wolves have been captured for this purpose. It has been found that even a Juvenile can temporarily control a host of this nature.

Technology

Tegrum technology is designed to be utilized by their hosts more than themselves. Most of it is therefore designed with humanoids in mind, the artificial host being an obvious exception. Tegrum would prefer to negotiate and achieve their goal of uniting all they encounter. But they have encountered resistance to this before and possess very destructive weaponry. Such weaponry has cowed enemies into submission.

Tegrum Consciousness

The Tegrum are not overtly psychic but are all linked mentally. Those in close proximity can communicate telepathically. Furthermore, if multiple Tegrum are present without hosts, they can fuse into a larger being to better protect themselves. If a large enough group fuses, they will create a monstrous creature, its multiple minds resulting in a kind of madness leading to violent rampages.

This obviously needs some work but I didn't want to wait too long before posting. Aside from their Artificial Hosts and "Monster Blobs" the Tegrum would not be seen on the battlefield. The "Monster Blobs" would appear after a unit was destroyed(with limitations) and likely have Rage. They are carried in a host species that gains benefits. Hosts with Juveniles would likely gain FNP, while those with Matures would have higher toughness and initiative in addition and those with Venerables would have further bonuses to the model's/race's base stats. Obviously, these would make the units cost a little more and there would need to be limitations on whether or not a Venerable could inhabit Elite or only HQ units. I have too many ideas to post since this is just suppossed to be brainstorming and I'm getting tired. Let me know if you want anything clarified.

#41 ·
I should have clarified Dark Eldar like I did Tyranids. It was my belief that the way Dark Eldar feed on other life forms did not provide Tegrum the nutrients they needed and went against their guiding morals. Perhaps a Tegrum inside a Dark Eldar would be fed upon by its host.

I also had no idea an Eldar could live that long. Dark Eldar do but by unnatural means. I was basing the age for a Venerable on a comparison to normal humans. But even as I look now, the ag needs some adjustment. But no, I did not intend Tegrum to be immortal but perhaps long-lived. Maybe a Venerable is at least 1000 years and a Tegrum can keep a human alive for about 200. So yeah, an Eldar or Astartes might be candidates as permanent hosts.

I do believe that Aramoro is correct. However, would it be possible to argue that warp-tainted hosts are unsuitable for the Tegrum?
That is certainly a good idea. I'd think Warp-tainted hosts would go against the Tegrum philosophies for unification as well. I'm still trying to figure out if Orks could be hosts. They could probably be controlled easier but being fungus may not be compatible.

#42 ·
Maybe if they implant in a Dark Eldar the link to Slaanesh overwhelms them and they start to develop megalomania leading to a small Tegnum resistance movement who want to be worshipped as Gods? :wink:

I was considering ways in which Aramoro's storm-trapped Human/Eldar alliance might change things. Given the difference in Eldar approach to psykers it could be a spiritually vibrant union; for example, soul-binding could be replaced with a variant of spirit stones leading to happier more balanced psykers.

#43 ·
Maybe if they implant in a Dark Eldar the link to Slaanesh overwhelms them and they start to develop megalomania leading to a small Tegnum resistance movement who want to be worshipped as Gods? :wink:

Hmm. I know it was just a typo, but I think I like Tegnum more than Tegrum. And I see no issue with your proposition, pending they do not gain access to any Necron Dolmen Gates or Tomb Ships. :laugh::laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.