[Beginner] Planning to buy a Tyranid Army, how can I optimize this list? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-18, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Default [Beginner] Planning to buy a Tyranid Army, how can I optimize this list?

Planning to buy a Tyranid army so I made together a 1250 list. My goal for this list was to be somewhat competitive but having some of the neat/fun models like the Exocrine.

I'm also pretty new to 40k, so I get there's some things like battalions that I could be doing better.

Don't be afraid to tear me a new one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids) [79 PL, 1250pts] ++

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 147pts]: 2x Monstrous Rending Claws, Toxin Sacs

+ Troops +

Genestealers [16 PL, 192pts]: 4x Acid Maw
. 16x Genestealer: 16x Rending Claws, 16x Scything Talons

Genestealers [16 PL, 192pts]: 4x Acid Maw
. 16x Genestealer: 16x Rending Claws, 16x Scything Talons

Termagants [6 PL, 72pts]: 18x Termagant (Fleshborer)

+ Heavy Support +

Biovores [4 PL, 100pts]: 2x Biovore, Show Spore Mine Rules

Exocrine [11 PL, 216pts]

Trygon [9 PL, 169pts]: 3x Massive Scything Talons, Toxinspike

++ Total: [79 PL, 1250pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Last edited by Trifectas; 07-16-18 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-19-18, 11:48 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Okay, since none of the actual Nid players seem to be showing up, I'll take a stab at it. Please add how YOU plan to use them though, as pretty much everything in the Nid Codex can be effective

First things first, you're going to need to pick your Hive Fleet for Bonuses and a spare stratagem.

Going down the list:

Broodlord and Hive Tyrant offer good Psychic support, though keeping up with the Genestealers may be an issue.

Since nearly a third of your army is Genestealers, I'd suggest Kraken myself - It speeds up your advance and, more importantly, will let you Fall Back out of one fight and Charge right back into another. You have access to both Metabolic Overdrive AND Kraken's Opportunistic Advance stratagem, so you should be able to get a squad of Genestealers (or both!) into their Happy Place of Close Combat first turn.

However, you've also got a Trygon there, so you can Deepstrike a unit instead of running across the board. If you go that route I'd like to see Adrenal Glands on the Genestealers (and definitely the Trygon!) to help your odds on getting the Charge. Going Behemoth's not a half bad choice in that case though even then the Glands would be a wise investment.

The Termagants are presumably there to grab objectives and be ablative Wounds by sitting in front of Characters? Could also be delivered by Trygon but you didn't throw in a few Devourers to make their shooting worth it

Then we get to your Heavy Support. Already mentioned the Trygon. The Biovores (aim at the toughest things on the field) and Exocrine make for good long-range support but as the rest of your army wants to be in CC, I'm not sure what you can spare to truly protect them from enemy deepstrikes. The Termagants I guess? I'd actually suggest to arm the Hive Tyrant with a ranged weapon instead so it can help babysit the artillery bugs and still contribute to the main battle.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode