Cult of the Armoured Serpent - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-17, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Default Cult of the Armoured Serpent

An offshoot of the Coiled Serpent, this cult has instead infiltrated an Astra Militarum regiment. I want to build this in a way that will allow me to use both the Genestealer and Militarum codexes, so for now this list is out of the Genestealer Index and all models will be genestealer rules with converted Militarum models.

I want some feedback on this list before I invest heavily on any kits though.

Primus: ... 76
Iconward: ... 53

10 Neophytes: Lasguns, Autocannon Crew ... 75

Cult Scout Sentinel: Missile Launcher ... 55

Cult Leman Russ: Exterminator Autocannon, Heavy Bolter ... 165

Magus: ... 73

20 Neophytes: Lasguns, Leader with Cultist Knife ... 100

Cult Chimera: Multi Laser, Heavy Bolter, Lasgun Arrays ... 93

1,991 points. 2 Detachments, 9 Command Points.

So, opinions? Is this over the top? not enough? Do any counter strategies instantly spring to mind?

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-17, 07:47 PM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

One proposed adjustment, that's 5 HQs, 7 troops, 6 Fast Attack, 4 Heavy Support. With 2 Batallions, that means you have a spare HQ to split off with which you can form three Scout Sentinels into an Outrider Detachment, or 3 Leman Russ tanks into a Spearhead. Free extra CP.

Anyway... on to the actual units. My first thought was that the list seems horribly vulnerable to an enemy with dedicated CC squads. Neophytes are essentially Guardsmen, and there's no squad of Purestrains around to keep people honest. However, you've got the Cult Ambush so you'll probably be able to get the drop on things.

I'm honestly not sure of how it will all play out. Deployment is going to get funky and I'm thinking most games will get decided early on.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-17, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
One proposed adjustment, that's 5 HQs, 7 troops, 6 Fast Attack, 4 Heavy Support. With 2 Batallions, that means you have a spare HQ to split off with which you can form three Scout Sentinels into an Outrider Detachment, or 3 Leman Russ tanks into a Spearhead. Free extra CP.
That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Anyway... on to the actual units. My first thought was that the list seems horribly vulnerable to an enemy with dedicated CC squads. Neophytes are essentially Guardsmen, and there's no squad of Purestrains around to keep people honest. However, you've got the Cult Ambush so you'll probably be able to get the drop on things.

I'm honestly not sure of how it will all play out. Deployment is going to get funky and I'm thinking most games will get decided early on.
Yea, I'm pretty sure the first two turns are going to be the deciders for most games with this list. It's gonna be heavy pressure on those autocannons and heavy bolters to thin out enemy heavy infantry as early as possible, and those blob squads in the Magus' detachment to form a solid if temporary shieldwall against charging units.

I know that deep striking assault units are going to be pretty devastating, but short of breaking the theme there aren't a lot of counters to this problem. I was considering converting ogryns and counting them as abberants, but even that would be of limited help.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode