2k Nids (I'm back!) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-14, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Default 2k Nids (I'm back!)

Hey again folks, long time no see!

So with the new dexs coming out I don't know that I'll be playing lots of games but I do still have a mind for tactics!

With that being said I have perused the new Dex and here is what I will probably be running.

Hive Tyrant
Norn Crown, Heavy Venom Cannon, Stranglethorn Cannon, primaris power Dominion, wants Pyschic lynchpin warlord trait.

3 Tyranid Warriors
Venom Cannon, 3 Rending Claws

3 Tyranid Warrios
Venom Cannon, 3 rending claws

20 Termagants
Devourers

20 Termagants
Devourers

20 Hormagaunts

20 Hormagaunts

3 Zoanthropes

3 Zoanthropes

3 Hive guard

3 Biovore

3 Biovore

2 Carnifex
2 TL Devourer's with Brainleech worms each

This is 1995 points.

The list has lots of ways to deal with infantry and with all of the strength 6 I can open up lots of transports. I can't think of any real target that I would have a hard time with besides flyers. I have 6 lances a turn or 6 blasts that kill MEqs, I have enough devourer fire to eat TEq's I have an obnoxious number of AP4 blasts a turn that will remove lots and lots of infantry, and my Hivetyrant will be a huge target with his 30" synapse range and his dual styled guns.

Now I know what you are thinking with this guy, that his guns should do the same thing, but I disagree heartily. I like having him fit the dual roles of vehicle destroyer and troop killer.

So what do you guys think?

Szarekh, the Silent King in my mind.

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

So 71 views and not a single reply, is it because I don;t have any tervigons, or do you guys not like the 30" synapse tyrant?

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 07:43 PM

Jaguar's Flag is: USA

Don't take it personally - I've still got no replies to mine so I must assume it's because it's a perfect Tyranid list

Anyways onto yours then.

Quote:
Hive Tyrant
Norn Crown, Heavy Venom Cannon, Stranglethorn Cannon, primaris power Dominion, wants Pyschic lynchpin warlord trait.
One or the other here, you cannot have both the Heavy Venom Cannon & Stranlethorn Cannon as well. Norn Crown is fine - expensive but fine.

3 Tyranid Warriors
Venom Cannon, 3 Rending Claws
I'd go for a Barbed Strangler here instead - I just prefer the large blast. Also I don't care for Rending Claws but since they're a cheap CC option it doesn't seem like a bad call (I like to leave them base or put Boneswords with them - seems worth it)
3 Tyranid Warrios
Venom Cannon, 3 rending claws
Same as before
20 Termagants
Devourers
Not bad
20 Termagants
Devourers
These seem okay - I would prefer to run half as many devourers and add toxic sacs on them so that they can effectively CC units they'll come into contact with.
20 Hormagaunts
Leaving them base is fine - I just don't like the str 3 attacks - I'd advise poison again here.
20 Hormagaunts
Same
3 Zoanthropes
Good
3 Zoanthropes
Maybe excessive but couldn't hurt - I would want to run at least one Venomthrope unit
3 Hive guard
Decent
3 Biovore
Haven't used them yet - how do you like them?
3 Biovore
Same - seems like a good choice if you want to saturate the field in spore mines.
2 Carnifex
2 TL Devourer's with Brainleech worms each
Seems like a classic - should do well. Since their are two of them I would say you could give one or both of them regeneration so they can trade places and regenerate wounds.
It looks like a decent list overall - your major source of synapse is also your Warlord and he's already a huge target. Since you'll be needing to change one of his weapons out anyways I would hold onto the HVC and maybe give him a CC weapon or a Brainleech Devourer. I like the Warriors - another good source of synapse maybe could swap the VC for a Barbed Strangler (I don't like our ballistic skill for small blasts but it's got nice strength)
The other thing that got my attention is that you're taking 2 full broods of Biovores and Zoanthropes. Seems like a decent way to get board control saturating the field in mines and you have two really good anti-AV10-14 units.

Everything else looks pretty vanilla. (Good though)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Where does it say he can't take both?

OPTIONS:
May take items from the Monstrous Bio-cannons, Melee Bio-weapons, Biomorphs, Thorax
Biomorphs and Tyranid Bio-artefacts lists.

Monstrous Bio-cannons
A model may replace any pair of scything talons with one of the following:

Biovores do horrendous amounts of damage even at ap4. The fact that now they can make str 6 blobs of mines that can assault and blow crap up.

I suppose that I have enough stuff to blow up vehicles with the zoans and all the other strength six so putting barbeds on the warriors would work pretty well.

I use the hormagaunts as a screen for the devil gaunts and if they get into combat cool, if not oh well. I run 40 devil gaunts so I get 120 shots a turn that can just shred squads and up to armor 10.

My plan with the Tyrant is to run him with the two carnis in front of him blocking LOS and providing a cover save while also drawing a lot of fire because of his 30" synaspe. If he dies, no big deal I have plenty more from my warriors and my zoans.

My Tyranid Log
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 08:18 PM

Jaguar's Flag is: USA

Pg 93 Tyranid Codex

Stranglethorn Cannon(1)
Heavy Venom Cannon(1)

(1) One Per Model a model cannot have both a stranglethorn cannon and a heavy venom cannon.

I wouldn't lie to you

Since you say you're running him with the Carnifex why not give one of them the Stranglethorn Cannon/HVC.

Last edited by Jaguar; 02-14-14 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

might not be a bad plan to run each of them with STC's and devourers. Though I do like having 12 shots at st 6.

I didn't doubt there was a reason I just didn't know where or why ;)

My Tyranid Log

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode