My old Tyranid army - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Worthy's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
Spike rifles are simply trading punch (ST3 v ST4) for range (18" v 12")...they extend the threat range of the gants, but the lack of punch hurts a bit. I would be tempted to put the spike rifles on gants that were going to hang back and camp mid to backfield objectives, so they could contribute to the midfield fight. Otherwise if you are going to push them forward the punch of ST4 will serve you better.
I'll stick with the Devourers then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-11-14, 06:32 PM

Personally at any list over 1k points I run 40 termgants with devourers in two 20 man squads behind 2 20 man squads of hormagaunts. Getting 120 shots in a turn is sickeningly good. I have melted two 10 man squads of terminators in a turn before, using this method.

Personally I am a huge fan of warriors with deathspitters. They are S5 AP5 whereas devourers are S4 ap -. However with my lists I mostly run them as 30 point synapse boosters with a venom cannon in each squad of 3. Gives me a 36 inch range S6 AP 4 gun to throw around every turn to contribute to taking out transports.

If you go for mixed squads of Termies to run up and blast I would put spikerifles on the front 10 and devourers on the back 20. That way everything has the same range but the ones in front are only 4 points a model.

Szarekh, the Silent King in my mind.

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
Personally at any list over 1k points I run 40 termgants with devourers in two 20 man squads behind 2 20 man squads of hormagaunts. Getting 120 shots in a turn is sickeningly good. I have melted two 10 man squads of terminators in a turn before, using this method.

Personally I am a huge fan of warriors with deathspitters. They are S5 AP5 whereas devourers are S4 ap -. However with my lists I mostly run them as 30 point synapse boosters with a venom cannon in each squad of 3. Gives me a 36 inch range S6 AP 4 gun to throw around every turn to contribute to taking out transports.

If you go for mixed squads of Termies to run up and blast I would put spikerifles on the front 10 and devourers on the back 20. That way everything has the same range but the ones in front are only 4 points a model.
Thanks for the advice, but i'll just be using the next batch of termies to boost up my fleshborer squad (i'll still go with death spitters for them though).

I will take your advice on the next batch of Warriors I get though, to boost my Warrior Brood (i'm tempted to add a prime, but it's between that or a Flyrant) and they'll possibly Shrikes too.

I'm only adding Synapse creatures now so that only the termies, hormies and rippers have to worry about Synapse much and if they do, they can run to the nearest Synapse creature.

Last edited by Worthy; 02-15-14 at 02:53 PM.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-14, 02:53 PM

if you are looking for more synapse might I suggest a TEq killer int he form of the Zoanthrope? He gets a blast that kills marines and an ap str 10 lance with a 3++ 2 wounds and gets two powers besides his two form psychic shooting attack.

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-14, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
if you are looking for more synapse might I suggest a TEq killer int he form of the Zoanthrope? He gets a blast that kills marines and an ap str 10 lance with a 3++ 2 wounds and gets two powers besides his two form psychic shooting attack.
Got 1 already and after all the trouble that i've been through putting the sod together (longstory short - Gravity and Finecast is not a good mix), the next Zoan I get will be a ready made one from ebay... preferably the old metal ones.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-19-14, 02:37 PM

yeah I have 6 metal ones and I love them lol. Not a big fan of finecast. Easier to model them and change them but nowhere near as good quality on the models themselves.

My Tyranid Log
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yeah I have 6 metal ones and I love them lol. Not a big fan of finecast. Easier to model them and change them but nowhere near as good quality on the models themselves.
The problem I had with the Finecast Zoan is because you got to balance the thing on the base for a while and unlike the metal version where if it breaks, it'll likely be where you glued it, with the Finecast version it breaks in awkward places when he falls over (I had to redo the tail with a Chaos Spawn tail because it snapped in three places where the tail is at the bottom).

Luckily my Zoan stands up all right now thanks to the Chaos Spawn tail and placing a slotted bases onto of the large base (not noticeable due to the flock though)... but yeah the thing was a nightmare to put together and looking on ebay with people using modelling putty to keep it balanced, i'm guessing i'm not the only one who's struggled with with the Finecast version.

Last edited by Worthy; 02-21-14 at 11:42 AM.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 02:37 PM

My friend uses lamp posts form the imperial sector and has then attached to it with pins and such so it looks like it is floating next to it.

My Tyranid Log
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My friend uses lamp posts form the imperial sector and has then attached to it with pins and such so it looks like it is floating next to it.
That's a good idea and I bet it looks awseome.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-24-14, 04:19 PM

it does now if he would veer actually finish his army haha!

My Tyranid Log

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode