1000pts Nids, Thoughts? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-13, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Default 1000pts Nids, Thoughts?

HQ
Hive Tyrant: Wings/Hive/Commander/2 Twin Linked Devoures (285)

Elites
5 Ymgarl Genestealers (115)
2x Zoanthropes (120)

Troops
Tervigon: Catalyst/Glands/Sacs (195)
10x Termagaunts (50)
Mesceptic Spore (for Zoanthropes) (40)

Heavy
Trygon (200)

Total-1005

This is my first try at constructing a team, and I would like to know what y'all think. Should I take off the Glands or Sacs off the Tervigon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 02:03 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

First off, you're using a LOT of expensive models, and are therefore weak in some areas. Here's my suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.O.D. View Post
HQ
Drop this. I know a lot of folk will argue with me, but in 1k points, this is just too many points tied up for limited return. Make your Tervigon your HQ. That gives 285 points to play with.
Quote:

Elites
Ymgarls are nice, but again rather expensive for five models. I'd exchange this for two Hive Guard. It will give you much needed decent medium Anti-tank.
Quote:

2x Zoanthropes (120)

Troops
Not a bad choice. But it should be your HQ. Now, with the 285 points you've got from that exchange, add 10 Termagants and five warriors. Warriors with lashwhip/Bonesword are a better use of points at this point level, and are troops.
Quote:

10x Termagaunts (50)
Mycetic Spore (for Zoanthropes) (40)

Heavy
Trygon (200)
You should add 2 Biovores. The blast patterns are very useful agains gunline/horde armies.
Quote:

Total-1005

This is my first try at constructing a team, and I would like to know what y'all think. Should I take off the Glands or Sacs off the Tervigon?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-13, 09:22 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

agree, the hive tyrant is 2 expensive at 1k. for this point number use your numbers, h/guants are great, i use doom of malatai with a mawloc and they work great together.
biovors are great.
and at 1k 3 shrike are killers!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-13, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

The warriors are great, but I always have trouble protecting them. They always target them and manage to kill them b4 I even get them into battle, any suggestions?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-13, 02:49 AM

Creon's Flag is: USA

No need to protect them, if the enemy is focussing on them, your Trygon gets to combat and so do your Ymgarls.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 03:14 AM

HQ: Hive tyrant is a bit pricey for 1000pts. As mentioned the Tervigon is your best HQ in this format.

Elites: Both these choices are great in larger settings. Replace both for one or two units of hive guards. Three hive guards are cheap, 50pts each, 150 pts for a unit. They WILL kill light tanks and troop transports each round.

Delivering Zoanthropes through mycetic spores are definitely the best bet, but this format is too small to use them effectively. Zoanthropes will level heavy tanks (Land Raiders ect) but you really should not be seeing them in this point level.

Troops:
Warriors are solid, they will draw a lot of fire and are weak against some powerful weapons like Krak missiles that will insta kill them.
Hormagaunts are good as well, they are cheap and can chew up infantry.
Termagaunts another solid choice, cheap.

Fast Attack:
Shrikes are great in this format. All the best parts about warriors delivered as jump infantry. Gets them into the 18" for devours real quick.

Heavy Support
Trygons are great but will draw all of the fire once they come on the board. I would recommend Biovores, they start on the board, have amazing range for Tyranids and will chew up gun lines to let your hormaguants or warriors.

Quote:
HQ

Elites
2x Zoanthropes (120)

Troops
10x Termagaunts (50)
Mesceptic Spore (for Zoanthropes) (40)

Heavy
Trygon (200)

Total-1005

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

What about this instead:

HQ-
Tervigon w/ Adrenal Glands,Toxin Sacs,Catalyst Psychic Power 195pts

Elites-
2x Hive Guard 100pts

Troops-
10x Termagants 50pts
Mycetic Spore 40pts (For Termagants Below)
18x Termagants w/ Devourers 180pts

Heavy-
Trygon Prime-240

Also....how does a mawloc do? I'm limited on heavy troops (Carnifex/Mawloc/Trigon), HQ (Hive Tyrants w/ wings/Tervigon) and fast atkrs (None)

Last edited by A.O.D.; 07-30-13 at 08:40 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 09:37 PM

LordIchor's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have found the only competitive bids to be: trygons, tervigons + termegants, flyrant, zoans, and possibly the tyrannofex (dependant on load out and use).
Hive guard are competitive although they are less and less needed now that people are figuring that mc are good at breaking armour and the threats enemy armour poses.

Okay so here is a break down of the list...

Quote:
What about this instead:

HQ-
good, solid HQ... Would expect to see a flyrant here at 1500+
Elites-
2x Hive Guard 100pts
nooo.. At 1k you should only meet transports or one or possibly 2 main battle tanks... The trygon should clean these up
Troops-
perfect
10x Termagants 50pts
possibly too few, however good basic choice
Mycetic Spore 40pts (For Termagants Below)
18x Termagants w/ Devourers 180pts
no... The devourers double the cost of the gants and at 1k that isn't gooood at all... As they will do well for one turn then half your troops will be all shot up.. Nice guns, but they die just as easy and cost 10pts each
Heavy-
Trygon Prime-240
no need for prime here... Spend the 40pts somewhere else

Also....how does a mawloc do? if there is one thing you take in from what I have said... Never ever ever ever take these... They couldn't be worse, sure if they hit they do well.. For a turn then get gutted by almost anything...never take these
I'm limited on heavy troops (Carnifex/Mawloc/Trigon), HQ (Hive Tyrants w/ wings/Tervigon) and fast atkrs (None)just remember this a 1k list so you won't be able to play everything
If you drop the spore pod, the guard, the prime on the trygon and the devourers on the gants you have just over a quarter of your points left to spend (270pts)

I would run something like this...
HQ

TROOPS
15gants 75pts
14 gants 70pts
13 gants 65pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
trygon 200pts
Trygon 200pts

This will give an enormous scoring potential whilst allowing the trygons to do their thing, as long as you hug cover and spawn spawn spawn you should be fine (just don't expect to deal with fliers.. Although you could swap the hq tervigon and the 13 gants for a flygon).

Again I know people will disagree.. Just depends on meta and preference just my two cents

Ichor.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate you being so descriptive on your explanations it realty helps a new player like me. The only concern I have though was last time I played (against orcs) my flyrant died T2 (how do u better protect him?) and my trygon came out t2 but with no psyker all I could do is feed, what are your recommendations?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-13, 10:41 PM

LordIchor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Feed actually helps the trygon as it gives it a bonus attk.. Hence the prime upgrade isn't worth it... And you shouldn't really be failing ld with the trygon that often...

Can't help with the flyrant issue, if it gets shot then at least whatever is shooting it isn't shooting scoring units...

Alternatives to a flyrant are a shellrant with two tyrant guard but then you will need to find some other anti air (if you think air will be used)

The most important thing is playing games and finding out what works for you in your meta

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode