1000 pt Nids - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Kirusion's Flag is: England

Default 1000 pt Nids

Hello guys, I have the book for the good old Nids and I'm planning on making an army at some point, I have Necron a nice shooty army so I want to do a fast attack in your face already pillaging your family while you're still sleeping :D

Here is my army and some thoughts underneath

HQ:
Hive Tyrant (260pts)
Acid Blood, Bonded Exoskeleton, Lash Whip and Bonesword, Old Adversary, Regeneration, Toxic Miasma, Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms
Powers: Leech Essence, Psychic Scream

Troops:
20x Hormagaunt (200pts)
Toxin Sacs, Mycetic Spore

20x Hormagaunt (200pts)

Fast Attack:
15x Gargoyle (105pts)
Toxin Sacs

10x Gargoyle (70pts)
Toxin Sacs

3x Tyranid Shrike (165pts)
Adrenal Glands, Lash whip boneswords

Total: 1000

Thoughts:
My plan is to get up in to combat as fast as I can, though I haven't put wings on my Tyrant I thought more troops and numbers are better than the 60 points for some wings, a big downside to this army is synaptic creatures, I don't have many which could be the downfall to this army but I'm sure when everything is in close combat by turn 3 and hopefully a lot of dead enemies by then it shouldn't matter too much. also the lack of anti-tank.. my HQ is the only one for the job, though most games I play are objective based and I rarely play Killpoints for some reason with my necrons

Please tell me your thoughts on this, as I'm going with number so please don't say get rid of a squad for a big single guy :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-13, 11:57 PM

If you're going for super assault, drop the shrikes and give the Tyrant wings. He'll withstand much more punishment than the shrikes will and gives off a nice synapse field himself.

The primary problems your army faces are, like you said, armour and flame throwers. To counter armour i'd honestly pick up a base trygon with poison. These things are killing machines when they get their chance in small points games. She will act as a diversion as well and draw fire from your Hive Tyrant who will more than likely be absorbing all the fire power being thrown at you.

I know you want numbers, but hows does 7/8 (depending if the Trygon fails it's synapse check) hits with both re-roll to hit and re-roll to wound with another hammer of wrath attack thrown in on top sound?

Make you're Tyrant much more lean as well, drop toxic miasma and regeneration. Roll on Biomancy, with luck you'll pick up number three which will give you "It will not die" as well as "Feel No Pain!" You might even get Iron Arm, and thats where the fun begins with MC's. If you want a monster in close combat drop the devourer's and use the base talons to save you a few points, spend 10 of the 15 points you saved from the devourers on toxin sacs which will give you re-rolls to wound. Combine that with acid blood and you're more than likely going to get quite a few kills in squads.

The recommended build for a tyrant in this kind of army is:

Tyrant, Wings, LW/BS, ScyTal, Acid Blood, Tox and Old Ad (260pts) * Im a dumbass...

This will give you 40 points spare, dropping the shrikes entirely will give you 205 points in total, drop a gargoyle and even up the squads then you have enough room for a poison wielding Trygon.

This is just my advice. Take from it what you like. This list is incredibly squishy and the flying across the board might get a load of units killed. You need to be careful with your spore placements as well. The units tend to get hosed down as soon as they appear from the pod and with no shooting attacks they cant really do much till the next turn.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

Last edited by Igni Ferroque; 03-21-13 at 01:36 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 01:25 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

my first thoughts are to get rid of the gargoyles they arnt that great on combat, keep the shrike they will do some heavy damage but dont expect them to survive a game.
hormaguants dont need a pod as they can move with run just about 18" every time. they will get shot though. you will need to give you tyrant wings to keep up with this army.
consider putting in some zoanthrope as you have no antimec or anti 3+ save a zoan can fulfill both rolls. find th points to give yourself a mawloc ot trygon you need something heavy to balance the losses the h/guants will take.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Kirusion's Flag is: England

Thanks for the replies

I was wondering which are better Horms or Terms, they're very similar in points cost and reading it again the Terms are better because they get to shoot on the drop down

I'm new to all this adding stuff.. as I say I'm a Necron player and we're lucky if we get to change your main gun lol, I've been reading the codex how does the Tyrant get wound re-rolls? and toxin give him +4 to wound and his strength is high so most enemies it would be better without... or am I missing something... as I normally do :D, also they Tyrant can choose from the normal psychic tree's not just the Tyranid one... that does open more options :D thanks for informing me, upon reading the gargoyles, they're really just terms with wings lol so combat won't be as effective as the Horms

Ok I've done a re-list based on what you've said and it is a better mix and still has a bunch of CC potential

HQ:
Hive Tyrant (260pts)
Acid Blood, Bonded Exoskeleton, Lash Whip and Bonesword, Old Adversary, Wings, Toxin Sacs

Elites:
1x Zoanthrope (60pts)

Troops:
20x Hormagaunt (200pts)

20x Hormagaunt (200pts)

Heavy Support:
Trygon (260pts)
Adenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Upgrade to Trygon Prime

I gave my Trygon the Prime as he gets a nice shooty attack for when he pops out of the ground :D, also I had 10 points spare so he got the glands, though after reading his effect about been able to DS units without scatter through his entry point.. would it be a good idea to drop a spore pod and have one of the Horms pop out of there, and spend them on more Horms for that squad ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 01:44 PM

The rules for poison state that if a poisoned weapon hits something with strength equal to or greater than the opponents toughness you must re-roll any failed wounds (Its not optional, after just clarifying the rules).

Where Termagants become superior to Hormagaunts is when a Tervigon is thrown into the mix. Termagants become killing machines when you juice up a Tervigon with Toxin Sacs and Adren glands as they benefit from these perks as long as a single model from the brood is within 6 inch range of the Tervigon. Add on the fact that the Tervigon can spew more termagants out, which in turn also benefit from all these perks, an swarm can nearly double in size.

The Tervigon also gives termagants counter attack if they are within range of it. For a fun list like this you dont really need these beasts. However when it comes to playing competitively I'd always take a Termagant/Tervigon combo over Hormagaunts any day. This thought process however strays dangerously towards boiling down every list to being the optimum output for a nid army, and where's the fun in that?

[Edit] Heres some food for thought, When a Trygon becomes prime it has both an upside and downside. It gains synpase, which can be handy, but it also loses the ability to rage thus losing an extra attack when it goes in for the charge. What people tend to do with them now is "let them off the leash" when they come in from reserves and hope they become even more of a killing machine.

One last thing, your list currently has over 50% of stuff in reserve. Something else is going to have to stay on the table.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

Last edited by Igni Ferroque; 03-21-13 at 01:49 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode