1850 Tourney List with 50 points spare - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Default 1850 Tourney List with 50 points spare

Right ive got my tried and tested tourney list here with 50 points spare from the list and im wondering what your guys opinions are on what they should be spent on:

HQ
Flyrant TWDev with wings 260
Flyrant TWDev with wings 260

Elites
Hiveguard x 3 150
Hiveguard x 3 150
Doom + Pod 130

Troops

Tervi Tox/Cata 185
Tervi Tox/Cata 185

Termagants x10 50
Termagants x10 50

Devilgants Dev x15 + Pod 190

This list adds up to 1800 points with the final 50 points spare ive got a number of options I want to run by you:

1, Buy Old adversary (25pts) on both the flyrants so that when they arrive from reserves along with the drop pods filled with gants, the gants will have preferred enemy on 45 shots each.

2, Buy Hive Commander (25pts) on each Flyrant so that they can both out flank. This would be great for getting at the rear armour of fliers if they were to make an appearance. It also gives me many more options as to how I angle their trajectory when entering the battlefield.

3, Buy crushing claws on my Tervigons (25 points each), +D3 attacks that act like a powerfist for a creature already on I1? Instant kils almost anything in close combat thats not toughness 6 or more. Downside is getting the things into close combat.

4, Buy more devilgants, a total of 5 and spread them out across my two pods squads an extra 15 shots in total?

5, Buy another brood of basic gants?

Any other options people would recommend?

My only problem with this list is face melting drop pods with sternguard in them on turn one. Other than that I am happy with this list

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 01:08 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

I would put adrenal glands on the tervigons. Will make a big difference in combat with marines especially, but everything really.

I'm not an advocate of podded devilgants, just don't like them really - think that fleshborer gaunts are much better. But I suppose they are ok.

I also run my termagant squads in 20, but it seems like people only take 10 to get tervigons scoring. I would rather have a more expensive unit that can do something, but your troops are good.

HQ - the flyrants, are fine. Pretty much mandatory at this point.

I usually take hive guard in squads of 2, but then that is your preference as well.

So if you give the tervigons adrenal glands and the spores barbed stranglers, you will have 50 points.

I personally would sub out the devilgants for trygons, but your list looks good. Good list and good luck if you take it to any tourneys soon.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

A player worth their salt knows how to get rid of a trygon as soon as it appears. I used to run two instead of the devil pods. Ive found that the devil pods do so much more damage points wise, as I get 45 total shots with 15 wounds per unit. Backing them up with flyrants makes them unbreakable.

What's the thinking behind the adren glands on Tervi's? To give me re-rolls in CC one turn? With poison I dont really need the added strength because i'll be getting a 4+ to wound anyway.

And why fit the barbed strangler to a pod? That seems like a waste of points. The ripper tentacles I find are much more effective even with their short range. To clarify I drop my pods in close to try and trap units so that they break and run into my termagants. Though if you can give me a good reason to take them I will consider it

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 04:32 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

True, you can kill a trygon when it shows up if you have enough in range/in LOS firepower. It isn't too hard, but then they are taking a lot of heat off off other MCs and the like. But that was just what I would have done - not necessarily what you should do.

Almost everyone takes adrenals on tervigons. For 10 points it is kind of a no brainer because there will be a lot of termagants in range for the synapse/progenitor/because they were just spawned. 4s vs 4s rerolling makes a huge difference. Sure, it is only for one turn, but with a lot of attacks it will be noticeable. Here:

20 Terms go after some tac marines.

Without toxin, without adrenals - 20 hit, 6.6667 wound, fail 2.2 saves. 2 Marines die.
With toxin, without adrenals - 20 hit, 10 wound, 3.333 fail saves. 3 marines dies.
With toxin, with adrenals - 20 hit, 15 wound, fail 5 saves. 5 marines die.

Plus they are almost free.

Barbed stranglers are definitely not the best thing for your list, but you can fire tentacles and the strangler, plus that was a quick 30 points as the first 20 was for adrenal glands. If you have a better use for the points then go on ahead.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Hmm I might play test adrens this weekend then and see how it goes. Cheers for the insight Divine

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 07:16 PM

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

Another point for adrenal glands on Termagants is that they can then glance a lot of light tanks/transports to death if they have to - you probably wont need it with this list, but it's an option that's there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 05:43 PM

lockeF's Flag is: USA

I second divine edge's input on using broods of 2 on the hive guard. I used to run 3 but always found it overkill against their targets. Sure, having a total of 6 is nice, but in all honestly, 4 shots will get the job done in most cases. Freeing up 100 points to spend elsewhere. For instance, I recently played against DE, I think he had 5 vehicles total, and that plus a single winged tyrant was enough to take out all his vehicles. That was including night shields and flicker fields. Of course having those four extra dice in the end can be really nice if you get shitty rolls, but sometimes shitty rolls happen.

It is just a thought.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-13, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Im reluctant to do this, but to hell with it. Its worth a shot. The new list is as follows taking on all your advice:

HQ
Flyrant TWDev and Old Adv with wings 285
Flyrant TWDev and Old Adv with wings 285

Elites
Hiveguard x 2 100
Hiveguard x 2 100
Doom + Pod 130

Troops

Tervi Tox/Adren/Cata 195
Tervi Tox/Adren/Cata 195

Termagants x18 90
Termagants x18 90

This list is looking for a lot of re-rolls. Re-rolling to hit with as much as possible, so keeping the FHT in range of a generous portion of the army will be a must. I've also come around to the idea of an overwhelming first charge with poison. If I am lucky i'll be preferred enemy on their attacks and have the re-rolls against T4 and lower.

The extra gants in the first broods will give me a larger bubble to defend against drop-podding plasma guns as well. I just feel like im not maximising my elite slots at the moment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode