Gadgets to make your life easier - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-08, 03:52 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

Hook tipping sounds like a venerial disease. +rep to you for another excellent article

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-08, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Someone hit me with something that made me go hmmmm because I know its one of the bigger complaints I have heard. Something to secure plasticard and a better cutting method for it. So I will see what I can come up with, this one will take some time.

If you have anything that you have an issue with, send me a PM and I will brainstorm to see what i can come up with to solve the problem . It will be a nice challenege, though the platiscard one might take a while, because the ideas I have kicking around need some research and will be a long article. I have not forgotten about the pictures for the priming rack yet, I just forgot to bring them to work.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-08, 10:53 PM

Dude, I am so going to use the Model Oven- I've even got the stuff to make one sitting around right now, and that'll help turn my modeling from a 'do something, come back in a few hours, and finish' to a in-one-sitting kind of thing. Plus, it'll give me a reading time excuse while I'm waiting...

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-08, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I wil be dividing this article into 2 sections now, things you can buy and things you can build. I have a few great articles that people have submitted that I will be postig soon plus a couple others that I use.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-08-08, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

OK I am back and going to ber working on this post again, we had our internet useage cut for a little while. if there is anything you would like to see on this please let me know!
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-08-08, 07:59 PM

Some one posted a goo way to keep paint wet.

Essentially it was parchment paper over a sponge....can't find the artical now.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-08, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

His has a dedicated article here. I am looking for things that do not have articles yet or gadgets that can be built by people or heck even item you can buy that will help out.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-08, 05:40 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

there's some nice cutting tools made by Olfa that I use.

The http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Laminate-Cutter-Heavy-5012/dp/B000BNLIKW/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1202750846&sr=1-24 is wonderful. Basically it's a tool for scoring plasticard. The idea is you score a line, then simply bend and snap off your perfectly clean bit of plasticard. But it also worls great if you stop after step one and just use it to score nice clean lines into plasticard. Works good for adding pannel lines and such to home-made bits, or turning an ordinary black base into an urban base of paved blocks (much better than the wasteful GS+toothpick idea GW likes to use)

The handle is a bit cumbersome though, it was designed for industrial work rather than hobby...but we're resourceful people, we can kitbash a better holder if we want to.

and, oh god...I LOVE their hobby knife http://www.amazon.com/OLFA-Blades-KB4-NS-Model-9169/dp/B000BNP9DO/ref=sr_1_91?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1202751161&sr=1-91 basically an exacto blade that's a thin, fine-toothed saw. It works best on plastics though, and it may not be as fast or sturdy as a razor saw, but they work great for getting into areas where you don;t want to try and juggle a cumbersome razor saw

They also make hobby knives, cutting mats, box cutters, etc but those two tools are pretty useful and unique. Well worth mentioning.

If you work with plasticard at all, the P-Cutter is invaluable. It scores nice and clean, fairly deep. And who doesn;t love exacto blade saws?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-08, 08:29 PM

Engelus's Flag is: USA

the best way to keep mixed paint wet, is quite simply use a standard size 28mm base as a palette and when you're not using it to put a beer bottle cap over it, on a flat surface. ive had it keep paint wet for over a day.

~ Engelus
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-08-08, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Incorperated a few items. Will be looking all over the internet for some new stuff as well. I will also be posting some of the items that I use when painting almost daily including items that everyone normally uses to some other more obscure items (I have a custom built painting table for my stuff in the works when I get back).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode