Cheaper Alternatives to Your Tools - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-10, 02:10 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan539 View Post
A comment Tip No8.
If you go to the beach, take a ice cream container with you and fill it up with sand, and other things wich wont look out of place on your models.
Plus, if anyone asks you what you're doing, you can say:

"I'm taking the sand home! For my Army!"

Thus giving them a wonderful story about a seemingly crazy stranger which they can regale their friends with later on.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-10, 05:55 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan539 View Post
A comment Tip No8.
If you go to the beach, take a ice cream container with you and fill it up with sand, and other things wich wont look out of place on your models.
If you do this it is a good idea to wash the bits before you use them; or even bleach them. This will aid gluing and stop any nasty reactions between paint/glue and whatever is floating around your coast.

Also, watch out for hermit crabs; my grandmother ended up with one loose in her pocket after beach-combing.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 03:32 AM

vulcan539's Flag is: New Zealand

lol, ah i had never thought of bleaching before

"The Emperor destroyed my world in a sea of flame, and yet he expects me to serve his puppets? I will not serve in his name, I will survive so he can not have the satisfaction of my death!"
Donn Warwaster Regulator to the Inqustion.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 06:50 AM

mrtoby's Flag is: Japan

MAGNETS

Hey, I was wondering if anybody has advice on using magnets. I want to start putting smaller and larger models together with magnets but don't really know what kind to buy.

I dont want to break the bank and at the same time I dont to buy something that is just going to be pants...

any tips would be gratefuly recieved!

Thanks,
Toby

Make no mistake, Human. We do not fight for your Emperor. We fight against Horus.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 04:08 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

i have no idea but i think i saw a tutorial for it just search magnets or go to modeling tutorials. whatever works. BTW i advise only using them for seargants/characters/vehicles/other important people not standard soldiers its a waste. It gets way too expensive. Good luck, and check out my army

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 11:26 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I am working a tutorial for it now but in a nut shell you want to look for "rare earth magnets". The most common type for vehicles are the 1/8" while infantry models use 1/16".

Once you are looking at the mangets getting ready to buy them you will see a number that is preceded by an N, like N35, N40, N52, etc. Those are the different stengths, the highest strength you can get is an N52 magnet. For general use I find that a N40 is normally good.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-11, 09:47 PM

If it helps, these are what I've found out (for England, no experience about anywhere else):

Sand:
I'm not going 'Eco-Warrior', but I'd really not recommend taking sand off beaches: I'm not saying people get sued, but with things like coastal erosion, etc, some beaches are now protected sites and/or habitats for rare or endangered species of animals (and you won't always know which ones are which, because they're not usually signposted or advertised). Instead, kids' playsand, building sand, etc, is really cheap for vast amounts of the stuff and you'll be keeping the beaches safe for the sea- and sand- creatures which rely on it to live in and on.

Slates:
Check out local high street hardware and homeware stores who sell stuff for gardens (usually the same people who sell kids playsand); in Spring and Summer, I've found kilo's of slate on sale in these places for about 3-5. Even if (likely) you can't use it all yourself, get a few other gamers/modellers together, contribute a quid or so each and share a bag between you.

Needle files + hobby vices:
I'm not necessarily saying they're the cheapest but, if you're looking at high street retailers for tools, check out the places that sell power tools; they tend to also sell needle files, side-cutters and hobby vices for cheaper (and they will also last longer, as they're intended for more heavy-duty/industrial scale usage than just a bit of hobbying). They might also have good deals on airbrushes and compressors (but you need to make sure you know what features you want it to have, as the ones in store might not be 100% what you want for your hobby needs).

Cabling:
Are you or anyone you know replacing your old IT and/or audio-visual equipment (i.e. destroying the old stuff instead of part-exchanging or selling it)? Modern gadgets can have yards of useful wiring in them. If you can pull the wire out of the plastic/rubber cabling with tweezers/side clippers (should be easy enough) you can make use of this as well. Circuit boards are great to use for the insides of vehicles and industrial-type scenery and you can strip the various chips and bits off them to use on vehicles, cyborgs, mutants, Mechanicus, etc, projects. (I'm not not technically-minded, so I don't know the names of these parts however).

People might already know all of this anyway, but just trying to contribute and help.
AndyG.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-11, 02:19 AM

I found a porcelian egg plate at Target for 3.99 that makes an "egg"celent paint palette. The Citadel one is about 0.96 more and plastic.

Lol. And don't boo me out for the corny joke.

When life gives you lemons, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-11, 02:47 AM

demon bringer's Flag is: United Kingdom

i find nail files can be usefull for filing plastic models very cheap and you van even trim them to very small sizes to get the hard to reach places
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-15-11, 08:30 AM

- save plastic bottlecaps to mount infantry models on with blu-tac for handling while painting.

- our local IKEA sells aquarium sand for less than half of games workshop's modelling sand. it's about the same grain size.

- for modelling wheat, old broom bristles can be pretty realistic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode