The Underdog of Photography: the Mobile Phone - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-29-09, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Icon The Underdog of Photography: the Mobile Phone

I always used to struggle with taking pictures of my miniatures when using a digital camera of average quality. Ones you'd expect to be good enough to take a quality picture that clearly shows the detail. I would use Macro mode and also various light settings, but wouldn't achieve much difference. I never even considered using my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson k800i) to take the pictures. It's only 3.2meg and yet, it can produce high quality images.

First of all, you have to get the setting right. Many people say that taking the pictures outside on a clear day is the best way, but I disagree. For me, the sun always ruins the picture. Instead, wait until it's night and close your curtains. Place the subject you're photographing onto your desk, and place a standard lamp behind it with the light shining onto the model. Also, make sure your main light is on. The light needs to be shining on the specific area you're focusing on so that all the detail is apparent and shown.

Also, place the subject onto white paper and ensure it's the only background you can see. This enhances the quality of the image as the colours of the model are shown up more clearly against the plain backdrop. Although if you're model is lightly coloured a darker colour of background may be more appropriate, such as black.

These are just things that you should do whenever you're taking pictures of your models, with a camera or a phone. However, with a decent phone the average megapixel is approximately 3.0. Much lower than your standard camera. To get a decent quality on a phone you will probably need a Sony Ericsson Cybershot, although I'm sure there are others that'll work too.

Once the setting is ready put your phone camera onto the Panorama setting. Usually, this would mean you'd take three small pictures and they'd line up with each other. But you don't have to do that. You can simply press 'done' after the one picture. Doing this provides a higher quality image than using the standard camera would, but still only gives you the one picture you want.

I would also recommend increasing the brightness of the settings on the phone and also making sure the rest of the lighting prevents flash from activating, as you can't turn it off. Furthermore, if you change the settings to 'Twilight Portrait' it would lighten the area of focus, but with all your background lighting it will increase the quality and show the deeper crevices and more detailed areas of your model off really well.

Now, I realise this will only apply to a select few people, but I've encountered several players who struggle to get a decent image with their phone, and I hope this will provide helpful information for at least a couple of people. Also, if you wanted to buy a cheap phone for the pictures then you could get a k800i for 80 easily . Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-22-09, 02:56 PM

Eviltim's Flag is: United Kingdom

Very usefull, I use a SE K810i, which isnt all that bad (3.2MP I think?) I Usually just put the Macro setting on, and hope for the best, although the auto focus usually decides to lock onto something else, or just not at all,

Im going to have to give your panoramic Idea a go though,

Great Phone Camera Tips, Have some Rep!

O Caido o senhor das guerras,
O Caido o senhor das demandas,
quando O Caido chega
O Caido quem manda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode