The Basics : Gathering up a Toolkit for Modelling. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-13, 08:32 PM

Holo144's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Most scalpel handles will take new blades.

Scalpels are less robust than box cutters but give much more control so are better if you want to do fine alterations. As they are sharper they are also safer than other knives if you change blades when they start to blunt.
Alright! I shall add this to my wishlist.
I appreciated the information.

Now I can act like a doctor when working on my models and go "Scalpel please.".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-13, 09:25 PM
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

If you do opt for a scalpel there are two basic types disposable and re-useable. Disposable scalpels are one shot deals with the blade fixed to a moulded plastic handle...use and bin once it is blunt.

Re-useable scalpels are purchased as a handle and blades seperately

Blades come in packs of 100, 10 foil packets containing 10 blades each. There are two sizes of handle and 10 types of blade. The smaller handle can take blade numbers 10, 11, 12, 15 and 15T. The larger handle can accommodate blade numbers 20 through 24.

Personally I always use a number 11 blade.

Oh, and a little safety tip. If you are not paying attention when you change blades you can easily cut yourself. The blades are just a push fit and lock in place when pushed onto the retainer. I always use a small pair of snipe nose pliers to remove and install blades...no danger of cutting yourself...and yes, the first time you snap a scalpel blade you will crap yourself!

Cy

Last edited by Cypher871; 01-16-13 at 09:31 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-13, 06:17 PM
ZXY

ZXY's Flag is: Canada

As a tutorial, I think advising one thing over another isn't very fair. Personally I think a hobby knife is much more popular, and has way more blade options. I don't see how a scalpel can be more versatile. I have a few different handles, one with a rubber grip, and I usually buy 100 packs of #11's (which usually costs less than $20).

Notable omissions: a cutting mat, sculpting tool, and some sort of third hand. Magnifiers are also great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode