Miniature Storage - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

Default Miniature Storage

Howdy everyone! I wanted to do a tutorial, but I'm not nearly as good of a painter/modeller as some of the other members on here. So I decided to do a tutorial on keeping your minis in the best shape possible. I'm going to cover carrying cases first.

There are 3 main factors you need to consider for mini storage: durability, portability, and accessability.

Durability is the most important thing when you store your minis. You need to make sure that the case you keep your minis in will protect them in the event you drop it, kick it, sit on it, knock it into a pool, etc. If your carrying case can't protect your minis, you need to buy a new carrying case. The most extreme example of durability in a carrying case is a safe. You know your minis are protected in there.

Portability is the second most important factor. If you require a pallet jack and a two man team to transport your minis, you probably need to reconsider your storage options. The most extreme example of portability is a backpack or sack of some kind. You can carry it anywhere.

Lastly, you need to consider your storage accessability. Some people may not have a lot of space to store their minis. When you store your minis, it is best to have a uniformity to your carrying cases, preferrably something you can stack. Nobody likes to see boxes upon boxes of junk laying around. If you can stack your entire 10000 point army against one wall in a closet, you've done well. Now on the flip side of that, if you store you minis in an attic or a shed because it saves space, you may as well go buy a whole new set because they will be melted come July. That's bad.

The Sabol Transport Cases are a good buy if you want something dedicated to carrying minis. They are a bit pricey for my tastes, but they come with a carrying strap and pockets for storing gaming accessories like dice and rulers and they come with foam already. The only downside to them is the soft sides. If your case is not full, you won't be able to stack anything on top, not to mention if you put something heavy on it, you may end up with broken minis. A good buy if you have a small army and aren't worried about price.

Some people like to carry their minis in toolboxes. I have used both metal toolboxes and plastic. Metal may be incredibly durable, but it is also incredibly heavy. The bigger the box, the harder to transport. Plastic is a better option.
Your game store owner will thank you for using plastic.

]
Fishing tackle boxes are actually a pretty good buy if you're willing to do some work with it. Try to stay away from tackle boxes with the extending shelves. They don't have much storage space and they could possibly damage any minis that have bits sticking out. The picture above is an example of what I would recommend as far as tackle boxes. Plenty of individual compartments for your minis and not too heavy or bulky. The other nice thing about it is that those individual boxes are swapable, so you can swap out armies and keep the same transport case. It would be perfect for horde armies with very few vehicles.

Now this is the best idea I have seen yet for storage. A player I knew would keep his minis in one of these storage cabinets. When he wanted to play, he would strap it to a dolly and wheel it into the game store. His storage cabinet was big enough to carry two armies of roughly 3000 points per army. The great thing about these is they combine all three of the points you should be looking for in a carrying case. Plus they are perfect for vehicle armies.

Now this is what I use. Tupperware bins are great for storing minis. They are large enough to hold a sizeable army but still portable enough to carry in the trunk or back seat of a car. They come in several different sizes and are a lot cheaper than any of the other cases I mentioned. The best part is that they are stackable! I can put 4 of these on top of each other and still have plenty of room in my closet. They also make a few that will slide under your bed, perfect for you college kids. An average one will cost you $15 and a quality one will cost around $30

So to wrap it up, when you pick a carrying case, make sure it's going to protect your minis first, is portable second, and is easily accessable third. I hope the examples I've given will help you guys get the right case for the job.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 05:07 PM

Damned Fist's Flag is: Canada

With 5 kids I think that your first option may be the best for me! Durability seems to be of utmost importance. Like the time my three year old thought that she would go into my room and help daddy paint his guys. (Unfortunately, she painted the ones I already had finished)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah but good luck getting THAT to the game store. Maybe you should get a Transport Case, put it in a Tupperware bin, and then stick that into the safe. That should keep them secure!

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 08:21 PM

bl0203's Flag is: USA

Nice ideas, but what do you use to store your minis while inside the tupperware bins during transport. I have a few of these bins and wouldn't mind getting them set up for a vehicle heavy army??? Thanks for the help.

"Primus Enire Ultima Exire"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Just use your regular mini's foam like you get from Sabol or GW. A deep bin should be able to hold at least six of the 4" foam pads. You can also put your books and dice in the extra space. The tighter you pack it, the less chance minis get broken.

Quote:
-me
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 08:44 PM

bl0203's Flag is: USA

Nice thanks dude

"Primus Enire Ultima Exire"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-08, 08:49 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about...I just stuff mine in my pockets.

In all seriousness though, I just find that the GW carrying cases work fine with me, provided you have the extra moola to actually buy the thing.

Which I commonly don't.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-08, 02:17 AM

I play Space Marines so I typically only have to lug around 50 models @ 1500, I got a case about the size of a battleforce box, it has slots for the maccragge rulebook and a couple codices (sp?). I forget the make of the bag, I think it's something called ProSport or ProShop or something with the word Pro in it. It was really made for carrying collectible baseballs or something but the GW cases are too big so I picked up this one.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-08, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Enemy_Without View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about...I just stuff mine in my pockets.

In all seriousness though, I just find that the GW carrying cases work fine with me, provided you have the extra moola to actually buy the thing.

Which I commonly don't.
The problem I have with the GW carrying case is that the foam it comes with is sectioned off, so when I start to store my GKs that have a huge halberd poking out the side, they don't fit.
Then I have to start ripping up the foam, and although everything fits ultimately it's not as space efficient (in minis per layer) as it would be to just get flat sheets of foam.
Anyone have any advice?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-08, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosotros View Post
The problem I have with the GW carrying case is that the foam it comes with is sectioned off, so when I start to store my GKs that have a huge halberd poking out the side, they don't fit.
Then I have to start ripping up the foam, and although everything fits ultimately it's not as space efficient (in minis per layer) as it would be to just get flat sheets of foam.
Anyone have any advice?
egg crate foam. sandwich your minis between two layers. take some glue and glue a board to the bottom so you have some support. lather rinse repeat.

Quote:
-me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode