Starting a 40k Based Podcast - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

Default Starting a 40k Based Podcast

Ok, well, wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but here seemed a good enough place.

Key Essentials:

• Computer
  • Audacity or similar recording program
  • Microphone
  • Quiet Surroundings
  • Skype if you have a distant cohost
Non essentials (but still important):

• Decent Cohost(s)
  • Material
  • A relatively deep knowledge of the hobby
  • Comfy seat
  • Drink

Step 1:

Think about material, if you want to have a decent yet informal podcast then you will need to think about. I tend to have a notepad file write down a few headings that I will want to cover, then think about where it can be taken.

Step 2:

Next you really need to think about what is being bought up, what kind of things you want to get across, things that will really get discussion going if you have a cohost. If you have some conflicting views? Even better, means you can have a pretty full on debate. Also, try and think about whats friendly to your audience, what will they enjoy? What will they also have some views on?

Step 3:

Speak to your cohost about it, make sure he/she knows what the show is going to be about. There is nothing worse than a cohost who doesn't have a clue about the codex or current up-to-date parts of the hobby (happened to me once, ended up me rambling). Discuss their views too, thinking what you want to definitely include and asking them to bring it up again.

Step 4:

Record! If you're recording with your cohost with you use Audacity or something similar. It's free and easy to use. If you're starting out, one mic should be sufficient, just make sure you don't have too much background noise that usually gets annoying.

If you're recording from skype, use a free program called Call Graph works like a dream. It records your conversation between as many people as you like then the program should save as an MP3, then you put this into Audacity.

Step 5:

A little bit of trimming here and there is never a bad thing. When I'm recording alone I tend to take long pauses when I can't think of a word because thats easy to edit out. Also, remember some "outtake" moments are good enough to stay in, especially the times when your cohost says "You'd better edit that out".

Step 6:

Host on a free podcast service, I reccommend Podomatic it's free and incredibly simple to use. However it has it's limits, other sites usually put advertisements in your podcast, which don't always make it sound "professional".

Step 7:

Get a decent logo to help the podcast for Album art on iTunes, it really helps with keeping people with your podcast.

Step 8:

If you can, try and get people to give you a little bit of free advertising, usually independant stores might be able to give you a little bit of free advertising provided you make your own advert

Other advice:

• Intro Music - Something good doesn't matter what Genre
  • Take breaks - Don't record in one massive go, make sure the conversation comes naturally
  • Get friends - Ask friends who are also in the hobby help, two's company, three's a crowd. Crowds are good!
Hope you like the tutorial. Pretty simple to do!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode