Stripping Paint with Simple Green - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-10, 05:10 AM

I hate agents who don't give a shit enough about customers to actually look up the information for them. >=(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-10, 11:40 AM

nocturnalK's Flag is: England

Well, i have to admit i hardly ever by my models new and by a lot of second hand models. hence ive cleaned loads!!

From personal experiance if found that paint stripper works wonders on metal though its not wise to leave them in there to long and it can be a pain to work with.

Disinfectant is my prefered method, the ingrediant to keep an eye out for is the Pine-oil, most brands have this as a minor ingrediant (though at differeing %). Dettol is one of the best but this is not cheap if you are doing loads. So i do a 2 tier clean really.

I use the cheap stuff on the first round, the best ive found so far is the BetaZone Antispectic Dis from Lidl's though it does not metion its ingrediants its good at the job :D
I soak the models (0-10) over night in this stuff then strip the majority of the paint with a tooth brush. For plastis i water this down to 30% water 70% Disinso as to not damage the details.
The first solution you cant really reuse to much as it just becomes filfhy and full of paint deris which is why i use the cheap stuff

Though the first dip gets most of, and you could get away with painting from there i then use a second bath with the better stuff to get right in to the gaps and make it easier to remove. For this i use astonish Germ clear with Pine-Oil, not to easy to find though so i get it from choiceful.com item 77850 Its great stuff and half the price of dettol. i soak it in this for another night and then its just an easy scrub under a tap and hey presto ur done :D.
Same thing for plastic though your best diluting to 50/50 this time.
As most of the paint was removed on the first round this suff can be re-used loads of times.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-10, 05:43 AM

DEATHTORUSS's Flag is: USA

well im using simple green and its bein 2 hours and i can start strippping them of paint so i feal lucky cuz i hear everyone sayin 2-4 days haha and im gonna be stripping for a long while (lil brother loves my army ...just not how theyre painted )

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-10, 02:58 AM

Wait, simple green is only for metal? Does it work on plastic. What do I use to strip paint off plastic?

Last edited by slugsung88; 09-01-10 at 03:40 AM.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-10, 05:03 PM
hozrhayt's Flag is: USA

Many years ago I stripped over 100 models (metal and plastic alike) with 2 bottles of DOT3 Brake fluid. I simply left them in the stuff overnight and then brushed the paint away with a firm bristled toothbrush. I didn't loose any details from any models but not all of the paint came off either. Enough came off so that I could re-primer them and they looked just fine. I am not a pro painter or anything but they ended up looking pretty good for a 16 year old kid with no previous experience and no internet access (was very available at the time).
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-24-11, 05:56 PM

Daemon Prince Paintbox's Flag is: United Kingdom

I find the good old non-acetate nail polish remover is a fantastic, quick and cheap way of stripping metal models. But you do need to be in a well ventilated area and use strong sturdy gloves.

http://www.daemonprincepaintbox.com/home.html

Check out my latest blogs, gallery or leave a message. Available for commissions.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-11, 12:57 PM

Awesome guide, going to strip my wolf termies and give them a better job. Great site too!!
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-26-11, 12:19 PM

Wolfbane's Flag is: United Kingdom

My tuppence worth.
Dettol is awesome at stripping plastic minis. But you have to scrub them in the solution, which WILL give you chemical burns. Wear rubber gloves, not latex ones, as they will dissolve also. I keep my dettol in an airtight jar, and just use an old sieve to strain out the gunk that builds up. It wont dissolve solvent based paints and varnishes so avoid buying stuff that looks like its been daubed in humbrols.
I find an hour is all thats needed before the paint starts to come off easily, overnight and it comes off very Very easily. And it does weaken glue joints.
For metal minis, I just drop them in a jar of whateveres to hand, nitromorse, white spirit, brake fluid etc, and give it a good scrub after an hour or so.
Back in the 90's I left a few plastic marines in turps overnight. They went all floppy. Dont do that!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode