Stripping Paint - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-10-08, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Default Stripping Paint

This is a report Tutorial. For the original please visit: Ever Insane's Paint Stripping
By Assistant Doc Haywire

All the talk about paint removers is starting to make me wonder. I have heard some being tried and never believed them, I have also heard of some and tried them and got no results whatsoever.

I had a bunch a Necromunda Goliaths and some other minis that need to be stripped but I do not need all of them so I am not afraid of losing a few as sacrifices. I plan to do some testing over a weekend and will post the results over a 24 hour period.

THE TEST GROUP:

Lizardmen Skinks, Lizardmen Saurus, Orlocks, and Goliath volunteers dared to be volunteers for this experiment in hopes of a fresh start at life and renewed vigor. All volunteers had their weapons checked at the door and were tested for their specific skin afflictions (Citadel, Polly S, Testors).

THE EXPERIMENT:

In a specially ventilated room, their were placed several foil containers, each containing a specific chemical bath

For each test bath, 2 Lizardmen Skinks, 2 Lizardmen Saurus, an Oarlock, and a Goliath volunteers were placed in a chemical bath. At each time interval, a volunteer was removed from each bath and sent to the scrubbing facility. Each individual was then told to take a shower and be scrubbed down with a Oral B electric toothbrush.

RESULTS:

Here is the list of chemical baths and the results I have seen:

Chemical Product Price 30 Min 1 Hr 2 Hrs 3 Hrs 6 Hrs1 12 Hrs 24 Hrs Damage to Plastic Main Ingredients
---------------------------------------------------------------
Easy-Off oven cleaner (Sprayed)
$3.50/16oz bottle

30 min: VG
1 hour: A
2 hour: A
Damage to Plastic: None
Main Ingredient: sodium hydroxide
Easy-Off oven cleaner (Soaked)
$3.50/16oz bottle
30 min: P
1 hour: F
2 hour: F
3 hour: P
6 hour: E
Warning: aluminum foil and E-O do not mix...
Main Ingredient: sodium hydroxide
Simply Green (Sprayed)
$3.99/24oz bottle
30 min: F
1 hour: F
2 hour: G
Damage to Plastic: none
Main Ingredient: 2-butoxethanol (undiluted)
Simply Green (Soaked)
$3.99/24oz bottle
30 min: G
1 hour: G-VG
2 hour: G-VG
3 hour: VG-E
12 hour: E
Main Ingredient: 2-butoxethanol (undiluted)
409 (Sprayed)
$2.50/22 oz bottle
30 min: NP
1 hour: NP
2 hour: NP
Main Ingredient: isopropanol, 2-butoxethanol
409 (Soaked)
$2.50/22 oz bottle
30 min - 12 hour: NP
24 hour: P
Main Ingredient: isopropanol, 2-butoxethanol
Pine Sol/Pine Oils
$1.99/28 oz bottle
30 min: VG
1 hour: G-VG
2 hour: VG
3 hour: VG
12 hour: no data melted
WARNING: started to melt after 12 hours pine oil
Brake fluid (linseed oil)
$?
30 min - 3 hour: G
6 hour: VG
12 hour: E
24 hour: E
Main Ingredient: polyalkylene glycol ethers
Isopropyl alcohol
$.99/16 oz bottle
30 min: NP
1 hour - 2 hour: P
3 hour: F
Main Ingredient: alcohol
Castrol Super Clean
$6.99/gallon
30 min-1 hour: VG
2 Hour-3 Hour: VG-E
6 Hour: E
WARNING: aluminum foil and CSC do not mix
Main Ingredients: 2-butoxethanol, sodium metasilicate, sodium hydroxide
Efferdent $
30 min-24 hour: NP
Main Ingredient: H2O
Water (Control)
FREE
30 min-6 Hour: NP
12-24 hour: SP
Main Ingredient: H20 hydrogen dioxide

LEGEND

1. The 6 hour test was a test of paints other than Acrylics, mainly Testors Model Master and Pollys S Paints.

2. This was diluted with 8 Oz water which is why there are discrepancies. I will have to retest this after I find a better container.

(sprayed) - Item was sprayed with a covering of chemical

A - awesome... washed off or needed very little brushing

E - excellent... needs brushing but all comes off

VG - very good... needs a lot of brushing/scraping

G - good... good amounts coming off

F - fair... shows signs/splotches of paint removal

P - progress... shows signs of paint removing

NP - no progress

CONCLUSIONS

The Big winner is definitely the Easy-Off oven cleaner with CSC and Simply Green following in for second and third place. The Sodium Hydroxide must be the main ingredient that causes this to work so well.

Many Goliaths and Orlocks drowned in the chemical baths (they never learned to swim), and some had strange color changes as their skin mixed with the chemicals.

The test group for the Pine Sol complained about a strange burning sensations. One Saurus, the only fatality among their ilk, was so deformed by the chemical, decided it was better to hide among the scavenged wastes or try to find a job ringing bells in a cathedral church somewhere... maybe even write opera... alas, he felt suicide was best.

Otherwise all the other Skinks and Saurus liked the baths quite well and would like another go at it. They believe it added in their skin shedding and got most of the little bits off. Also the scrubbing was very relaxing.

Others I have heard but will need to find or have not tested:

Acetone

nail polish remover (non-acetone)

Chameleon model paint stripper from Custom Hobbyist, Inc

Coca-Cola (canned)

Lighter Fluid

Floquil/Polly S Dio-Sol

Methylene Chloride

Poxy Scum

Dettol, the pharmaceutical cleaner

Bix Paint Stripper

If you know of, or have tried others with some success, email me and I will give it a try and post the comparative results.

djinn24's notes: I made a few changes to this because the information was conflicting. This is a source of information. if you know any other substance please try this test regime and post the notes, I will also contact the original author about this as well.

I also noticed that if you have to clean off a painted model it would seem 409 might be a good substance since it reads no paint damage on the chart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-08, 09:23 PM

Death 0F Angels's Flag is: USA

with the oven cleaner do you need to reapply spray at all our just spray it down and wait?

Trust is a dagger, the hilt as sharp as the blade.
Death to the Imperial dogs.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-08, 09:47 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Spray 'n' wait. Although I've found DRAINO! works even better for the time.

To follow suite though:

DRAINO! Drain de-clogger (classic liquid formula)
30 Minutes: VG
1 Hour: E
2 Hours: Somewhere between E and A
3 Hours: A

Careful with this stuff, it's serious brew... the paint completely dissolves in about 2.5 hours, and all you really need to do is rinse the draino off. Oh, and you don't want to touch it... it's designed to disintegrate biological matter... use rubber gloves with this stuff. As a side note, DRAINO also cures athlete's foot in one application.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Last edited by The Son of Horus; 03-20-08 at 12:22 AM.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-08, 11:56 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

Non Acetone Nail Varnish Remover:

30 minutes: VG
1 Hour: VG
2 Hour: A
3 Hour: N/N

N/N = Not needed

Test Model :- Caked up Khorne berzerker painted with very thick red paint.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-08, 12:10 AM

moc065's Flag is: Canada

I am a big fan of Brake Fluid (probably because I have lots of it - and different types do make a difference), and the stuff I use works wonders in 1-3 hours (awesome, soft brushing and rinse for 90% removal with no damage), One more soak (30 min) and rinse and its virtually brand new. And its not nearly as toxic as Oven Cleaner. I also like Simply Green; but i find it needs a little longer soak (average overnighter for me - although it works great) but its tough for me to find in my area.

Cheers and Happy Gaming.

Oh and since I have been asked to not write in Red Ink (Some people finding it offensive) which I did for "Fluff" reasons; Saim-Hann being my principle army. Anyway, just to let others know, I personnnally don't find coloured writing offensive, but I do dislike overuse of profanity, and/or poor grammer & spelling

Visit my Website
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-08, 07:58 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

As said in the other thread, I pretty much swear by Dettol now. A 6 hour soak in indiluted liquid just leaves the stuff coming off in the liquid, then putting them on paper towels just lets the paint run off. With a toothbrush or old paintbrush, just brush over any detailed areas to make sure.
Also, some people are sensetive to it, but no more than washing up liquid. It's usually fairly safe to use and great for soaking while you go to work/school/gaming/shopping/church of your chosen religion/drinking/whatever. And it cleans craft knife cuts, albeit with the byproduct of profanity in my experience

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-08, 07:51 PM

bloodthrister's Flag is: Netherlands

thnx this was a great help (i used brake oil, since I still had that lying somewhere around XD) and it does work great!

and waaaaay cheaper than those special (plasic ruining) paint removers over at the art store near my place
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-08, 05:44 PM

I've found a product that works extremely well for removing all types of paint from models with no damage to the plastic whatsoever. It's called Clean N' Dip and it's a product used by commercial house painters (which I am) to clean tips for sprayers and other spray equipment. It costs about 8 bucks a jar and works freaking awesome. You should be able to pick it up at any commercial paint store.

Here is a link to the product: www.doityourself.com/invt/0304683

I couldn't find the small jar size on this website but it does exist.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-08, 06:20 PM

The_One's Flag is: USA

So with the Easy-Off oven cleaner (sprayed) you took the bottle and sprayed the model and then left it? Because I have A LOT of Space Marines that a color couldn't be determined upon, so I want to remove ALL the paint and redo them in my Chaos colors to try out Chaos...

Note: Tried spraying the Lt. Varras model from the Battle of Macragge set with Easy-Off oven cleaner...took it out to my chicken coop, sprayed it ALL OVER and left it for 2 hours. After 2 hours I went back and got it, used an old toothbrush to start getting paint off and TOO MY SURPRISE, no paint came off. I was just wondering if I did anything wrong?

Last edited by The_One; 05-28-08 at 01:22 AM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-11-08, 11:14 AM

Telliphas's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ive found that Mr Muscel Oven cleaner works wonders on metal, for a easy clean leave in for 24hrs and brush off with an old tooth brush. It breaks the paint down so much that ive noticed that it can be removed with water and my finger, obivously to get into the small gaps a brush is needed. The tooth brush doesnt even need to be a hard bristled one, i paid 19p for two from my local supermarket and its working wonders.

On plastics though it seems to leave my chaos black undercoat on the models and it doesnt seem to come off as easy as the metal ones, at the moment my plastic mini's looked slightly shadowed but it hasnt effected the detail in any way.

Ive ran two tests, one on a plastic spure cut off and one on a ball of Green Stuff I left them in for a full week to see if it effected either one. The plastic was fine no problems what so ever, but the Green Stuff went a odd shade of brown and slightly mushy. It doesnt like Green Stuff, the stuff breaks down and becomes un-usable.

...WORD OF WARNING.....
Dont dunk your converted mini's in it.

I think the shortest time period ive left a mini in for soak was around the 8hr mark, with similar results to the 24hr one.

Hopefully this is of use to some one, as Mr Muscle is alot easier to get a hold of in the UK then hunting simple green off tinternet.

Despair all ye nations, there's no hope for us now.
For we made this monster, placed a crown on his brow.
He fed on our apathy; our pain made him swell.
We gave him dominion, he gave us his hell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode