Paint Strip Miniatures - UK Guide (Dettol) - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-10-12, 06:46 PM

Inquisitor Coteaz's Flag is: Canada

never heard of using brake fluid before...what brand ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-12, 07:56 PM
dtq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Coteaz View Post
never heard of using brake fluid before...what brand ?
Any will do,as long as its not the silicone based racing stuff. Cheapest brake fluid you can find will do the job just fine. I use bargain basement dot 4 specification polyethylene glycol based stuff. you can filter it between uses with coffee filters etc so it lasts a long long time, you want to try to avoid contaminating it with water as that will lessen its effectiveness and you want to avoid contaminating anything else with it. I'm 99% certain that with what it does to paint that it cant be good for you :D
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-13, 02:06 PM

HAY guys you should check out RAVEN MINIATURE PAINT STRIPPER. I think its pretty new and pretty amazing.

It strips all paints from all miniature types.

I did a video review for it
Check it out:: http://youtu.be/c84gb2xPSWA

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-14, 11:27 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

I used Dettol for a long time to strip the paint off of my models and it works great in a pinch. there are some problems with it though, firstly you won't be removing any enamel based paints, tamiya spray paints didn't shift in dettol for me, secondly it's hazardous and you'll want to wear protection to avoid Dermatitis (those STD's are the worst : Stripper Transmitted Diseases), Third it takes a while to really get to work on the model and fourth it leaves a horrid residue that turns to gungy paint again when it hits water.

Now anything that strips paint is going to mess with your skin and unless you are using acetone or something equally harsh you won't be shifting enamel anytime soon. The other two problems are fixable though.
I heard a rumour that Fairy Power spray worked just as well as dettol but without the hospital smell and messy cleanup. That's this stuff, i know some places have a diferent name for it, it's Dreft in the Netherlands for example.

Use the same method, soak it in power spray and then follow the same proceedure as dettol. It'll work faster than the brown stuff and washes up easily. The paint almost completely dissolves in power spray leaving no gunge to fight afterwards. Also it seems to keep its active ingredient for longer, it is good for multiple uses and won't kill models no matter how long they are left in there.

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-15, 09:35 AM

Hi all, I'd like to post a health warning - any use of dettol (and probably other disinfectant chemicals) should be done out of the way of any household pets, especially cats.

Both cats and dogs lack the required chemicals in their liver and kidneys to break down the dettol and if ingested or inhaled in significant amounts may kill your beloved pet.

If you do use dettol in the kitchen, keep the pets out of there for the process and make sure you clean up with some soapy water after to remove any residual dettol which may have worked onto the surfaces.

http://www.icatcare.org:8080/advice/...ts-and-poisons

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Tools of the Trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode