New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Technical Help Post here for tips and help regarding the forum script. ie 'How does rep work?'

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Admin

Default New site look and software upgrade Feedback Thread

Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for Hersey-Online.net! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join Hersey-Online.net, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "Hersey-Online.net Classic".

4) Users will be able to register with Facebook

5) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

6) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

7) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your Hersey-Online.net Team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Admin

BUMP we are now live....

Please keep all feedback in this thread so we can monitor, report, and reply.

Jeff M
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 09:36 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Not sure i like the new design, looks very dated and simple.
admin and Khorne's Fist like this.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 09:52 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

This looks years behind the old site. Very clunky, I think. Just proves change is not always a good thing.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Not sure i like the new design, looks very dated and simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
This looks years behind the old site. Very clunky, I think. Just proves change is not always a good thing.
It takes a while to get used to, newer flat design.

You can revert to the old view in the drop down in the bottom left hand corner. Details in the first post.

Jeff M
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 09:58 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I think part of the issue is the font size and the red bars, they seem overly bright to me.

Edit: Dumping the sidebar on the right helps a bit for my preferences. Mostly I keep thinking the resolution needs to be adjusted, its all just a bit 'big'

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Last edited by scscofield; 05-24-16 at 10:02 PM.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 10:00 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Oh joy, that option saves the site for sure. The older look is much more crisp and proffessional looking.

Edit: Found a big bug with the classic look. The text in the top menu is black on black background, unreadable. Noticed it when going to delete notifications.

Edit2: Another bug in the classic look: I noticed i had a like post to my earlier comment. Its white text on white background.

Edit3: The new like button in the classic look seems to be very flighty and appearing in various different positions in different responses. Also its seriously easilly overlooked. White text on black background. Really should be placed together with the buttons for Quote and Multi-quote.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 05-24-16 at 10:28 PM.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 10:17 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

I quite like the new look, though I enjoy a more simplistic aesthetic. My only real complaints are that the reds could be a bit more muted and perhaps the font could be a bit smaller.

As a compromise, I think something in the middle between the newer style and the older style might be perfect.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 05-24-16 at 10:19 PM.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 10:25 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

I removed the sidebar immediately. As previously mentioned, a duller red would be nice.
Also, what's with the two rep options?
The 'like' option is a nice addition.

I also like the header for the site.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-24-16, 10:31 PM

Euphrati's Flag is: USA

I'm sure this new format will take a bit to get used to, but I agree with the statements that the red is a tad on the bright side.

Something else is that the composition box for private messages is quite small for the openness of the page (and shoved to the far left side). Could this be expanded out across the page so that it doesn't feel so cramped somewhat like the quick reply box I am using right now?

As well- at the bottom in the left hand 'avatar' box were the icon for online is- you have the star icon and the scales icon that both read as giving the person in question +rep flanking a report post icon. Could these be spaced out a bit to make them a bit more distinct as to which icon you are clicking on?

I really wish the Banner for the site had astartes in it now that I am seeing it on the full site. It is almost like that 'hole' in the graphics is screaming out for some space marine goodness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions > Technical Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode