List Building: It's Important - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Tactica Articles This is the place to post if you have an in-depth tactics article or guide on how to use a unit or army. Codex specific guides go in their respective subforum. General topics belong in the main forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

I could write a response, but it's already written.

http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.co.uk/...your-army.html

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:43 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-13, 03:23 AM
Critique for da CriticGod
 
Kreuger's Avatar
Kreuger's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,350
Reputation: 43
Default

I appreciate his point but I don't agree with it, and it doesn't really refute my point anyway.

I'm not saying anyone's fluff is wrong per se. Nor am I saying playing ultra-competitively is wrong.

I'm saying, playing ultra-competitively and trying to claim you aren't because of some bizarre distortion of the setting is disingenuous.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Kreuger is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-13, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I'm saying, playing ultra-competitively and trying to claim you aren't because of some bizarre distortion of the setting is disingenuous.
Firstly, who said ultra-competitive cannot be fluffy? The two are not mutually exclusive. Many of the most competitive Imperial Guard lists would fit even the most dogmatic view of the fluff.

Secondly, it's not a 'bizarre distortion of the setting', it is simply the setting. The fluff includes passages about the Mighty Mangler's Battlewagon Brigade, and Air Cavalry Imperial Guard regiments, and all-Bike Space Marine armies. But nowhere does it say that there has never been a heavily Thunderwolf-based army, or a Dark Eldar Kabal that view the ground as unworthy and so use a high number of Venoms and Razorwings, or a Sept with heavy ties to the Earth Caste and thus a higher proportion of Riptide Battlesuits.

If the only fluff you could use was what is directly written into the codices, it would be a very dull setting indeed (and nonsensical to boot - if your opponent has Ultramarines and you have Ultramarines, you're not allowed to kill him so you just run around in your Rhinos all game and then dogpile the objectives a la The Matrix)

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:43 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
 
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-13, 08:59 AM
Critique for da CriticGod
 
Kreuger's Avatar
Kreuger's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,350
Reputation: 43
Default

I don't have a particular build in mind which violates what I would consider good conduct so I don't really have any emotional reaction or aversion to the named builds you listed. Nor am I referring to 6th edition specifically. I think this same position can be expressed in almost any similar game. And I can think of a few armies I faced in previous editions which were abusive. Though I don't think any of my opponents ever had the gall to try and tell me that they were fielding an army right in-line with the setting.

It's sort of like the famous quotation about pornography, "I know it when I see it."


Mind you this isn't a witch hunt. When "I see it" I just generally avoid playing those people because we clearly value different things. I don't go about brow beating them over their narrow minded fluff-apostasy.


p.s. - I do happen to agree with you that there are objectively best units, items, combinations, and builds. I think the players who argue that point are not clearly considering the nature of points efficiency and efficacy.

And that actually adds to my belief that some combinations are abusive. Not simply because there may be combinations for which the designers did not account, but because the cycle of publication/republication creates inherent inequalities.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Kreuger is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-13, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I don't have a particular build in mind which violates what I would consider good conduct so I don't really have any emotional reaction or aversion to the named builds you listed. Nor am I referring to 6th edition specifically. I think this same position can be expressed in almost any similar game. And I can think of a few armies I faced in previous editions which were abusive. Though I don't think any of my opponents ever had the gall to try and tell me that they were fielding an army right in-line with the setting.
But they would be completely right to tell you that's it's in line with the setting. Just because it's not a letter-perfect recreation of the Space Marine army from Fall of Damnos or Orar's Sepulchre doesn't mean it's not a fluffy Utramarine army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Mind you this isn't a witch hunt. When "I see it" I just generally avoid playing those people because we clearly value different things. I don't go about brow beating them over their narrow minded fluff-apostasy.
Which is fine, and your choice (I'm not sure if I would avoid somebody because they hold different values, because if I did I'd rapidly be alone, but I think I see your point), but this is a list-building tactica i.e. a way of making your list better. And as you said, some choices are objectively better than others. What this tactica isn't is a discussion on whether competitive armies are fluffy and fulfill one's desire for a cinematic game, because everybody has a different opinion on what follows the narrative as this past page has so aptly demonstrated.

EDIT: @Kreuger , have you seen the new addition on the OP?

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:43 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-13, 07:10 PM
Fantasy Rumors
 
revilo44's Avatar
revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Webway
Posts: 962
Reputation: 14
Default

That article was good read. But I have always enjoy list building anyway. Even just to see what wacky combos I can come up



Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444
revilo44 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome