List Building: It's Important - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Tactica Articles This is the place to post if you have an in-depth tactics article or guide on how to use a unit or army. Codex specific guides go in their respective subforum. General topics belong in the main forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

I used the example of CSM to illustrate a point, because they're the race I see most bad army lists for. I could say the same of Tau, when I see people taking Stealth Suits instead of Crisis and Riptide, or Eldar when I see people taking foot units instead of Wave Serpents. Both are relevant, just less obvious.

But I'll add an extension on general concepts.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:41 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 02:02 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE
 
scscofield's Avatar
scscofield's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finger Lakes Region of NY
Posts: 6,195
Reputation: 56
Default

Thing is nothing in your post mentions troops. With most of the games being objective based that is s huge hole in the post. There is more to list building than spam the best unit in the codex. Especially at the competitive level.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1




scscofield is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

OP is updated.

Primarily because mea culpa, I was douchebag.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:41 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Avatar
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Segmentum Solar
Posts: 688
Reputation: 18
Default

I get its a tactica thread but you can't bring fluff into it and claim it is fluffy. You are building cookie cutter win lists to win as your sole aim. I get that, people play like that in some places and some people enjoy that sort of play, each to their own. But you can't claim fluff building like that and can't say someone is not fluffy because they decided to take 1k sons over a third drake.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
Chaplain-Grimaldus is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

But equally, you cannot claim that taking a third Heldrake is not fluffy. Everything is fluffy, because 40k is such a mind-bogglingly big setting.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:41 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Avatar
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Segmentum Solar
Posts: 688
Reputation: 18
Default

True but a "1k sons" army with only one squad of them and the rest small units of plague marines because they are the better choice in the book does not make a fluffy 1k sons army.

I would also suggest your point "you chose the codex for the play style" is wrong. I chose the army that appeals to me and has cool back ground that I like. Then I pick a theme and build my list.

My marine army will ALWAYS have 10 man tactical squads and delves ratio squads. People are doing the whole 5 men and heavy weapon because its better game wise. But that is not fluffy. A tactical squad has 10 men. Devestators have 10 men. Etc etc.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
Chaplain-Grimaldus is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus View Post
True but a "1k sons" army with only one squad of them and the rest small units of plague marines because they are the better choice in the book does not make a fluffy 1k sons army.
Which is your choice, of course, but does not reflect a competitive list. Some warbands have one unit of Thousand Sons, and then many units of Plague Marines. Some people think that the Thousand Sons rules do not adequately represent how difficult animated suits of armour are to kill, and therefore prefer to use the Plague Marine rules for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus View Post
I would also suggest your point "you chose the codex for the play style" is wrong. I chose the army that appeals to me and has cool back ground that I like. Then I pick a theme and build my list.
I don't understand this; if I like Dark Angels fluff, and I like Dark Angels models, why can I then not play with the Space Marines codex? If I like the look of Skyrar's Dark Wolves, and I like the idea of them, do I have to use the Chaos Space Marine codex, despite the Space Wolf codex fitting their concept more aptly?

Fluff is more flexible than what is presented in the Codex. By your logic, you're not allowed to play a Mechanicum army, because there is no Codex: Mechanicum. But I'm sure you'll agree that's a stupid concept, and Codex: Space Marines or Codex: Imperial Guard for Skitarii/Dreadnoughts and Tech Guard are perfectly good substitutes in the absence of a Mechanicum codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus View Post
My marine army will ALWAYS have 10 man tactical squads and delves ratio squads. People are doing the whole 5 men and heavy weapon because its better game wise. But that is not fluffy. A tactical squad has 10 men. Devestators have 10 men. Etc etc.
This is rigid and dogmatic. Sometimes, Marines die and they cannot instantly spawn more Marines to make squads of 10. Sometimes, the situation calls for 5-man units issued with heavy weapons. Sometimes, a Chapter will not follow the Codex Astartes rigidly and field it's Tactical Squads as smaller units of five as standard, rather than ten which break down into two units of five. Sometimes, Combat Squads.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:42 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Avatar
Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Segmentum Solar
Posts: 688
Reputation: 18
Default

Your last points smack of Heresy. Tread softly!

I think you are trying to justify power gaming and trying to coat it in fluffy. That's your choice though dude. If you are enjoying your game and I mine then who cares?

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
Chaplain-Grimaldus is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus View Post
If you are enjoying your game and I mine then who cares?
+1.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-22-14 at 06:42 PM.
MidnightSun is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 07:41 PM
Critique for da CriticGod
 
Kreuger's Avatar
Kreuger's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,350
Reputation: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain-Grimaldus View Post
Your last points smack of Heresy. Tread softly!

I think you are trying to justify power gaming and trying to coat it in fluffy. That's your choice though dude. If you are enjoying your game and I mine then who cares?
Well said.

That sounds like taking the ugly and wrapping up in the soft. Take an ugly, brutal list and shoe-horn the fluff around it.

New definition.
Tar and feather gaming: Writing a nasty or abusive army list incongruent with the game setting or background and attempting to justify it by distorting the game setting or fluff.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Kreuger is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Tactica Articles

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome