Command squad! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-11, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Command squad!

I have playtested these about ten times now with the following configurations- ( sometimes I threw in a few SS on the first 2)

command squad on bikes-250
4x flamers 1x PF

This is really cheap and it kills massive amounts of horde I will never go without them again!

command squad on bikes-270
4x melta 1 PF

this one is easily the best, but I think plasma is a better choice because of there range problem 1st turn.

command squad on bikes-305
banner SS
PW
champion
PF
SS

this one performed teh least for its points, but still made them back.

every time they made their points back and are almost unkillable! T5 FnP and a few 3+ invuln saves are not to be scoffed at! So now I pose teh question why does nobody take them! they are so versatile and effiecient at what they do compared to other choices.

~ 5000 points of space marines and almost 3000 points of dark eldar

"Wise men don't need advice and fools do not take it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-11, 12:35 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

I use Honor Guard (same thing effectively just BA codex version) with JP and PW as a meat shield for Mephiston. Works very well to be honest. They give him a 4+ cover and FC as well as FNP ... and funny thing is most people try to shoot at him instead of them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-11, 12:50 AM

Arcades Dolor's Flag is: USA

Because a lot of people prefer Libby over Captain for their HQ, and 2 HQs PLUS command squad gets expensive quick.

My fluff page.

My fluff blog, with more fiction!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-11, 03:57 AM

Takana77's Flag is: USA

Yeah it's really a cost thing. How many points are you dumping into one unit and what is being sacrificed on the flipside. You already have to have a captain in the list so thats atleast another 100points right there before taking the command squad.

This might be a better topic to list under tactics section perhaps.

Anyways, with bikes you really want to keep them moving at all times because they do not fair well against hordes. Always keep in mind that codex SM are shooty, not bashy. So an SM boy on a bike is shooty and all the nice bonuses that come with being on a bike come at a cost which leaves less to spend on other elements of your force.

Personally I field my sm cs on bikes in 2 ways.

Command Squad x5 - Bikes, PG x4

This keeps them shooty and mobile and is really the only place I routinely field any kind of plasma on a body (non-tank/dread). Take this one alot in conjunction with lysander as he typical goes with someone else like sternguard or termies. Sometimes I nab a libby (bike, pp, nullzone) to go along with this. All that combined means they punch through AP2 like it was butter and "oh yeah, sorry, reroll that invul save". I've also from time to time upgraded the libby to epistolary and then take force dome and nullzone and can keep them both up at all times. Really good vs TEQ.

Command Squad x5 - Bikes, Flamer x4, SS x4, LC x4

Similar to your flamer squad but this setup is meant to accompany the cappy (rb/ss/aa/bike) or khan into battle where they skirt the enemy making precise assaults and getting out. Don't expect them to last forever in melee vs a cc oriented unit. I have attached chappy on bike (this gives some rerolls to hit and wound to the LC's and sometimes I tack on DW on the cappy and chappy to just expand on the synergy). A libby on bike gives you another template assault attack (avenger) to the squad. Really good vs. MEQ/GEQ and bugs/hordes.

Another crazy thing I've done in past just to make my enemy go orlylolwtfgtfo! is to attach a techmarine (elite one) on bike with servo harness and PW. The harness is awesome and gives you 2x S8 for use vs nobs or mech/av and another flamer (don't really use the tl plasma pistol part tho). Downside is he only has 1 wound for the points he costs after all the upgrades, but he does add a nice bite to the unit lacking a PF.

Hope this helps and GL.

Tak
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-11, 04:13 PM

Arcades Dolor's Flag is: USA

That last config is some kind of crazy. It's something like 75 points PER MODEL. For t4 3+ 1 wound models, that is entirely too much. I could get a full squad of hammernators or, heck, a full squad of Honour Guard with some Relic Blades, for that many points.

My fluff page.

My fluff blog, with more fiction!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

@Arcades Dolor
they always seem to make their points back, and you ignored the T5 FnP part they are actually quite resilient.

@ takana
That techmarine idea seems pretty cool I might try that.

~ 5000 points of space marines and almost 3000 points of dark eldar

"Wise men don't need advice and fools do not take it"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-11, 03:02 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades Dolor View Post
That last config is some kind of crazy. It's something like 75 points PER MODEL. For t4 3+ 1 wound models, that is entirely too much. I could get a full squad of hammernators or, heck, a full squad of Honour Guard with some Relic Blades, for that many points.
Try this on for size:

Korsarro Khan on Bike
Bike Command Squad
- Apothecary, Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Narthecium, Power Armour, Frag and Krak Grenades
- Veteran, Company Banner, Meltagun, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Frag and Krak Grenades
- Veteran, Meltagun, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Frag and Krak Grenades
Veteran, Meltagun, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Frag and Krak Grenades, Meltabombs
- Veteran, Meltagun, Power Weapon, Storm Shield, Frag and Krak Grenades, Meltabombs

It comes in around 100+ points a model on average, yet the squad has a T4(5) 3+/3++ and Feel No Pain, with a Turbo Boost 3+ Cover Save. It has 4 Relentless Meltaguns, and Twin Linked Bolters in the event of minor anti-light infantry duties. When it charges (and it will - it has Hit and Run and an 18" assault range), it has 9 S5 I5 Power Weapon attacks, 5 of which have a chance of causing Instant Death, and 9 S9 Thunder Hammer's.

It is extremely hard to counter, without over twice the amount of points invested firing into it, aside from poor rolls, and everyone is mercy to them.

But that's the beauty of it. Those threats to which it is vulnerable are threats to the battle winning units of the army - so the opponent has to make a choice between going for the battle winners, or going for the unit which is more than capable of destroying entire units on it's own.

If you want a nice cheap unit, take a Captain with a Relic Blade and Artificer Armour, and throw him in a Tactical Combat Squad or Assault Squad on Foot with the Hidden Power Fist.

Then use the Command Squad, and give them each a Meltagun and a Flamer, and put them in a drop pod. It's a bit more expensive than equivalent Sternguard, and lacks special ammunition, but the Feel No Pain halving damage and ability to fire their special weapons more than once outweigh those small disadvantages.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode