1,500 pts 'Vanilla' Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-11, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Default 1,500 pts 'Vanilla' Marines

Yes, this really is a list from the Vanilla Marines codex. I'm toying with different lists now that the final pieces of my Chaos army are in the post (Daemon Princes; so excited). So here's what I've come up with for slating:

Librarian - Null Zone, Vortex of Doom

10 man Tactical Squad - Flamer, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta, Rhino
5 man Tactical Squad - Combi Melta, Las-plas Razorback
5 Scouts - Bolters, Camocloaks, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta
5 Scouts - Bolters, Camocloaks, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta

10 Assault Marines - Power Fist

Predator - Lascannon Sponsoons

[1500]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-11, 12:01 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

I would reccommend dropping the scouts and the combat squad (five man tacticals) in favour of one, possibly two more Tactical Marines. This'll not only give you forty Space Marines in your troop choices, but also increase their strength, as Scouts are easy targets for the enemy due to their weakness and - with the upgrades that you've given them, kind of expensive for what they're worth.

Also, the Assault Marines are quite expensive here, especially the full ten man squad with a Powerfist. Maybe drop them for some elite choices, like a Dreadnought or 5x Terminator Assault Squad?

Other than that, your list looks pretty impressive. I would suggest finding room for a Vindicator though, as they'll be good against Horde armies like orks and tyranids.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-11, 02:59 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would drop either a scout squad, or the razorback squad, as well as possibly the assaults (unless this is done by models you own). With the points maybe invest in a squad of TH/SS termies, and give your libby termie armour. Finally, I will say that you won't need 3 lascannon preds, so maybe drop one for a vindicator or a couple of typhoon speeders.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-11, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

I can understand the comments about Scouts. I'm still convinced they're WS and BS 4 from the old book. Now though, they do look pretty overpriced, their role can pretty much be performed better by standard Tactical Marines for a similar price. Perhaps those scouts might find some use a Inquisitorial Henchmen...

As for the Predators, I'm personally a big fan of them - they provide a lot of armour on the table as well as a mobile anti-armour firebase. I'm sceptical about vindicators - they're very much a one trick pony and are effectively debilitated by almost any roll on the vehicle damage table. With Chaos's Daemonic Possession they're more useful, but also have to compete with Obliterators and Defilers for Heavy Support slots.

I've deliberately avoided terminators (my brother has a Deathwing army, and a Kaldor Draigo army too, - there are more than enough Terminators without me trying to include any more. Though if at a later date the list changes, I can simply borrow some TH/SS termies from my brother)

So with some changes:

Librarian - Null Zone, Vortex of Doom

10 man Tactical Squad - Flamer, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta, Power Fist Rhino

5 Assault Marines - Power Fist
5 Assault Marines - Power Fist
Landspeeder - Heavy Flamer, Multimelta

[1500]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-11, 04:02 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura Varuna View Post
Yes, this really is a list from the Vanilla Marines codex. I'm toying with different lists now that the final pieces of my Chaos army are in the post (Daemon Princes; so excited). So here's what I've come up with for slating:

Librarian - Null Zone, Quickening

10 man Tactical Squad - Flamer, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta, Rhino Give a melta instead of a flamer.
5 man Tactical Squad - Combi Melta, Las-plas Razorback Drop
5 Scouts - Bolters, Camocloaks, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta Drop
5 Scouts - Bolters, Camocloaks, Missile Launcher, Combi Melta Give snipers, and drop combi.

10 Assault Marines - Power Fist Drop entirely.

Predator - Lascannon Sponsoons Only need 2 max, so drop one.

[1500]
After edits, you'll have quite a few points spare, so I'd go for an 8 man sternguard with 3 combi meltas and a power fist in a rhino. Then get a rifleman dread, and possibly a pair of typhoon speeders.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-11, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura Varuna View Post
3x Tax in that configuration is costing 705pts, right? The obvious swap is to 4x 5-man Tax, combi-flamer, plasmaback. The ML shot is a wash with the LC, but the ML cannot move and shoot while the LC can. You often don't get the chance to use a given flamer more than once a battle, so combi is fine for that. The TLPG probably beats out the PF and combi-meltagun, given it's sitting with an LC.

For the price of your two assault squads, why not take two riflemen? The riflemen will be active from T1 making easily as many good hits per turn as the assault squads would, and are not terrible at tar-pitting enemy infantry if you really want them to. I'd then suggest dropping one pred for a third rifleman. Consider this

Quote:
Librarian, null zone, vortex
Rifleman
Rifleman
Rifleman
5-man Tax, plasmaback
5-man Tax, plasmaback
5-man Tax, plasmaback
Tornado, MM, HF
=1040
That's what I regard as a solid VSM core. With 460pts left you can take your two preds and another 5-man Tax squad, and give all Tax squad SGTs combi-flamer, and have a few points over.

Last edited by vonklaude; 07-16-11 at 04:34 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode