[Flesh Tearers - 1,750][Mech - Competitive] - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Default [Flesh Tearers - 1,750][Mech - Competitive]

Hi everybody. I've been fiddling with a Mech Blood Angels list for a while now and it's game time this Sunday. I still haven't completely settled on a list, but here's what I'm thinking.

HQ
Librarian with Fear, Shield and hand flamer

Troops

2x 5 Assault Marines with melta, infernus and power weapon
2x Razorback with twin-linked assault cannon and searchlight

1x 5 Assault Marines with flamer, hand flamer and power weapon
1x Razorback with twin-linked heavy flamer and searchlight

Elites

1x Sanguinary Priest with lightning claw

2x Furioso Dreadnought with heavy flamer, extra armor and searchlight

Fast Attack

3x Baal Predators with twin-linked assault cannon, heavy bolters and searchlights

Heavy Support

2x Dreadnoughts with two twin-linked autocannons

Total: 1,700/1,750

Since I still need to paint some of this stuff I can't make any huge, sweeping changes to this list. I've been considering swapping out one of the Baal Predators for a third Assault Squad in AC Razorback but I've found that I don't need more than three Troops choices and that the firepower of the Baal Predators is absolutely key. How should I spend my last 50 points? I tried Hunter Killer missiles but I seriously never accomplish anything with them, either missing or failing to penetrate even AV10 (it's so sad). Should I maybe buy a second Sanguinary Priest for another FNP people? A combi-weapon for my existing Priest?

Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Loving the list Katie, and don't see much in the way of suggesting things without using points your don't have or don't fit in with the theme. So bravo for that one.

With the remaining points, I would go with your thoughts in getting a second priest. More feel no pain for your marines can only be a good thing, and you already said that three troops have been working for you; making them a little tougher is nice.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 03:48 AM

Yeppers. A second priest would be nice!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 04:00 AM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

HOw do you plan on using the Furiosos? I have not played my FT much but having them run across the board doesnt seem to give them a long shelf life.
Maybe give one of them a Drop Pod and when he comes in pop smoke to increase his chances of survival???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pestilice View Post
HOw do you plan on using the Furiosos? I have not played my FT much but having them run across the board doesnt seem to give them a long shelf life.
Maybe give one of them a Drop Pod and when he comes in pop smoke to increase his chances of survival???
They walk behind the Predators and Razorbacks and discourage anyone from trying to get at my small units of Troops. They also add two more AV13 vehicles to the list to truly tax my opponent's anti-tank firepower and are a source of heavy flamer and melta fire. They're quite good at what they do, though it's important to hold them back and not just run forward blindly.

This list actually plays pretty defensively - the idea is to keep my opponents at roughtly 18"-24" away and shoot them with assault cannons and when I can't give any more ground I pounce. With Furious Charge and the Dreadnoughts most units don't last very long. Against more passive enemies I play more aggressively by moving forward to take ground and softening them up at range before assaulting to remove them from objectives.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 02:40 PM

I'm not a blood angel expert by any means, but I have spent a decent amount of time playing against them. Thoughts:

1. Troops. A complete lack, particularly when their transports want to be close to be effective. There are a lot of combat elements out there that just don't care about FNP and will wipe 5 marines in a phase. It's easier to stay alive at long range, so IF you want to stick with minimum troops I think you should go for long ranged razorbacks (lasplas ftw on a fast vehicle). If you are sitting at long range then power weapons and extra guns aren't needed. Even at long range I would prefer to play with at least one more razorback squad.

2. Furioso Dreads. Are cool. Full stop. However, your counter charge furiosos only really come into play against opponents that want to charge you. A lot of the top lists these days are firepower based which means the furiosos won't get to play, and then theres the dawn of war issue. It is nice to have the dread counter charge option for units like genestealers (my babies!) but I feel that two (four actually) is overkill. One librarian dread with wings doesn't cost that many more points, has vastly increased mobility (potentially useful in DoW and in staying out of melta range) and brings a hood to the table. Of course, once you start thinking along those lines mephiston isn't many more points and is totally lethal...but your army starts to look a bit different then.

3. Shooty dreads. A big advantage of the BAs is their fast vehicles so it seems strange to see rifleman dreads instead of autolas preds in the heavy slots. You Don't need the tying up ability of dreads (since you also have choppy dreads) so I think preds would be better.

4. The SHP. The last place you want the SHP is in a position to be struck in cc. Bare bones (maybe with a combi) and hidden behind bodies in any assault is the way to go. I can't for the life of me understand why people are suggesting a second priest- you only have 12 models that FNP works on (why would dreads care about FC? Anything that can hurt them in cc tends to go at init1 anyway).

5. Searchlights. Are they on BA vehicles as standard? I wouldn't buy them beyond two on troop transports for use in DoW (especially when going second).

In summary I reckon your list would be tighter with less dreads and more troops.

--edit--
Just noticed the third troops choice. DOOOOOOOOME. I still reckon that long ranges razorbacks (and less toys in the troops squads) are better.

Last edited by OddJob; 05-24-11 at 03:14 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-11, 06:32 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJob View Post
1. I think you should go for long ranged razorbacks (lasplas ftw on a fast vehicle).

4. I can't for the life of me understand why people are suggesting a second priest- you only have 12 models that FNP works on (why would dreads care about FC? Anything that can hurt them in cc tends to go at init1 anyway).
Yes. Although just swapping the HF Razor to a Lasplas would be fine, mass Asscannon fire does the same thing most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJob View Post
3. Shooty dreads. A big advantage of the BAs is their fast vehicles so it seems strange to see rifleman dreads instead of autolas preds in the heavy slots. You Don't need the tying up ability of dreads (since you also have choppy dreads) so I think preds would be better.
Unfortunately BA get very heavily penalized for Lascannon Sponsons on their Preds, which is why I assume Katie went with Riflemen. I, on the other hand, might consider a Dev squad with 4x ML instead. For the price of two riflemen + 30pts out of the 50pts you have spare atm you can get the above Dev squad, a naked priest and a 4th Razor with Lasplas (Devs). This sits nicely next to your scoring Assmarines in their Lasplas and gives quite a scary firebase against pretty much anything (stuff venturing within 12" gets 4x TL Plasma, 2x Lascannon, 4x ML shots in the face and charged by Assmarines with FC), but in this case I would drop the Flamer/Hand Flamer and maybe give the Sgt a Powerfist so that they can potentially deal with anything in combat.

The Devs can also hide very effectively behind the two Rhino chassis, giving you a lot more freedom about where you deploy them, as well as a cover save on top of the FnP from the Priest.

Given that you said you didn't want to change the list too much, that's about all I have to suggest without restructuring your army a lot more.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-11, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys, I've been turning all this over in my head for a bit. First up, I'd like to thank you for your suggestions - I much appreciate the help.

What I've decided to go with is something pretty similar to what I had already. I feel I need the 'toys' on the assault squads. Without the infernus pistols I don't have enough melta, without the power weapons I automatically lose every fight I get into and need to rely entirely on shooting to deal with certain threats. As an example, I took on a Tyranid player a short while ago who used two Hive Tyrants and two Mawlocs at 1,750 points - without Furiously Charging power weapon attacks those monsters would have eaten me alive as I simply wouldn't have been able to cause enough wounds to kill them quickly enough (one of the Tyrants had wings and managed to Deep Strike right behind my army at the same time as the two Mawlocs. You can see the problem such a tactic presents me with).

I agree that the Furioso Dreads are a bit out of place against more shooting oriented lists. However, the number of those lists that I need to worry about in the area that I'll be playing this list in will be few. People tend toward much more aggressive armies like Deathwing, Tyranids, Black Templars and Space Wolves. I wouldn't take this list to something like Adepticon or the NOVA Open.

Thus, here's the semi-final version. Barring more advice, this is what I'm thinkin'.

HQ
Librarian with Fear, Shield and hand flamer

Troops

3x 5 Assault Marines with melta, infernus and power weapon
2x Razorback with twin-linked assault cannon and searchlight
1x Razorback with lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun

Elites

1x Sanguinary Priest with lightning claw

2x Furioso Dreadnought with heavy flamer, extra armor

Fast Attack

3x Baal Predators with twin-linked assault cannon, heavy bolters and searchlights

Heavy Support

2x Dreadnoughts with two twin-linked autocannons

Total: 1,750/1,750

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Katie Drake; 05-26-11 at 08:52 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode