2500, decisions, decisions, decisions... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-11, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

jaren's Flag is: USA

Default 2500, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Ok, so I have been given the go-ahead to purchase a new/rebuild my old Black Templar Army from my wife. I have come down to two 2500 point lists to choose from, I cannot afford to purchase both, but I can work that way and one day I will have both able to be played separately at 2500 points.

The first is a refined version of what I used to play, an armored column, that is to say all of my armor will be moving together as a single entity providing mutual support to itself, I have two hammer units in it in the form of 2 LRC’s with assault terminators in them, the rhino’s that are accompanying the hammers will be used as ablative shielding to the heavy land raiders and will be carrying crusader squads to assist in objective grabbing and general anti infantry duties. As I said earlier my assault termies will be the hammer unit, they will be able to address any type of target be it an infantry horde or an imperial guard tank squadron. Finally there are the MM speeders to give some much needed speedy anti-tank, they will be my rapid response to the deep-striking dread or the fast moving D-Eldar raiders out there.

The second list is out and out simple a Templar-Wing 5 squads of five termies all walking across the field supported by 3 typhoon speeders, and 3 las-back riding mini-dev crusader squads. The point of this is to have to many high profile targets to choose from so as to minimize the damage my army takes unit to unit, this will also give me massive amounts of str 8 ap3 shots. The only downside about this is the amount of defensiveness it requires, it does not have the raw ‘I am coming across the board to cleanse you’ aspect, but the delicate tactics I will need to develop to take advantage of this lists strengths is very appealing to me.

Please give me all the help you can, I am truly wanting to have a decent list that I can enjoy playing, not just the best power list. Granted I know the Templar-Wing is one of these new ‘flavor of the month’ lists, but I have been a BT player for a long time so I feel this is less of a bandwagon jump as others have done. Anyway, Please comment on the list makeups as well as tactical needs for the two lists separately or against each other.

Without further ado, the lists:

--------------------------------------

1st, the armored column;

HQ
emperor's champion aacnmtc 140
marshal dual lightning claws 120

Troops
crusader squad, 9 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke search light marshal 228
crusader squad, 9 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke search light emperor's champion 228
crusader squad, 9 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke search light 228
crusader squad, 9 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke search light 228

Elites
assault termies, 7 furious charge Land Raider Crusader 566

Fast Attack
land speeder, 1 multi-melta 65

Points Summary:
HQ: 260
Troops: 912
Elites: 1132
Fast Attack: 195
Total: 2499

--------------------------

2nd is the Templar-Wing;

HQ
marshal termie armour thunder hammer storm shield termie command squad (4) cyclone missile launcher (2) tank hunters chain fist (1) 380
marshal termie armour thunder hammer storm shield termie command squad (4) tank hunters 375

Troops
crusader squad, 5 las-cannon razor back twin-linked las extra armour 190
emperor's champion, 1 suffer not the unclean 125

Elites
terminator squad, 5 cyclone missile launcher (2) tank hunters chain fist (3) 280
terminator squad, 5 cyclone missile launcher (2) tank hunters chain fist (3) 280

Fast Attack
land speeder, 1 MML 70
land speeder, 1 MML 70
land speeder, 1 MML 70

Points Summary:
HQ: 755
Troops: 695
Elites: 840
Fast Attack: 210
Total: 2500

------------------------------

Thank you all for any and all help you will provide in making this rarest of all decisions, which army am I buying in one lump...

You may use anything I post, just remember to give me credit if used somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 12:01 AM

Marshal Ragnar's Flag is: USA

Both lists look pretty good man.

List 1: Nothing looks really bad. I would just maybe change one of the rhino squads to a 6 man las-plas squad in a las-back to hold a home abjectives.

List 2: Looks pretty good. The only thing that I really see is a lack of ranged anti-AV14. But you def have enough str8 ap3 missiles.

I would just go with the one that you would have more fun with. Both look decently competetive.

Check out my Angels of Retribution fluff!! All c&c is welcome
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

ok, so here is the modified list for the armored column, i was contemplating this idea myself so it isn't such a huge deal, however strategy wise this is a move forward with no care for objectives, deal with those later, it is a smash and grab force, I am nervous about even a single unit not being with the main group.

HQ
emperor's champion aacnmtc 140
marshal dual lightning claws 120

Troops
crusader squad, 9 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke marshal 227
crusader squad, 9 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke emperor's champion 227
crusader squad, 10 power fist melta-gun rhino extra armour smoke 243
crusader squad, 6 power fist melta gun razorback twin-linked lascannon extra armour 216

Elites

Fast Attack

Points Summary:
HQ: 260
Troops: 913
Elites: 1132
Fast Attack: 195
Total: 2500

You may use anything I post, just remember to give me credit if used somewhere else.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 03:49 AM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

i don't know the points cost (or the codex with the new modifications), but i would recommend taking Assault Cannons over CML where you can as you'll get more chances to pop armor better.

good hunting.

Amid the Weeping and the Woe, Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot; I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Malaclypse View Post
i don't know the points cost (or the codex with the new modifications), but i would recommend taking Assault Cannons over CML where you can as you'll get more chances to pop armor better.

good hunting.
that is where knowing the FAQ's help. CML's are much better now and worth it, http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...ersion_1_1.pdf this is the new BT FAQ to help you out a bit.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 12:12 PM

Nyustukyi's Flag is: USA

Why aren't youusing a Chaplin? I understand using the Marshal's Leadship as the rest but a Chaplin is a real pain in the arse for most people. I faced Grey Knights the other day and well it was Grey Knight's Grandmaster vs. my Master of Sacintity. MoS won the game for me. Honestly I think he is the best cause you can give him two Pp and use his 4 attacks base 5 on the charge, and being I5 you swing before a lot. I have seen him destroy terminators before they even swing.

Just my question chalpin is an amazing beast why not use him? Three wounds, with AA 2+ and an auto 4++ and an auto PW.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I have really found that chappies are to expensive for me to run often, I like them but the leadership is what I want, this gives for more consistent performance unit to unit. Also the marshal is more efficient in my eyes as I can kit him how I want without the chance of looking a free power weapon.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-11, 01:07 PM

Marshal Ragnar's Flag is: USA

and with BT we are required to take leadership checks every time that we take a wound, and our base leadership is only 8. So a marshal that gives the army leadership 10 is invaluable.

Check out my Angels of Retribution fluff!! All c&c is welcome

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode