First Tournament Army (1500pts) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-11, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Zero Sphere's Flag is: England

First Tournament Army (1500pts)

I am going to enter my first real tournament and was hoping that I could have (a lot) help with the list.

Librarian
- Terminator Armour and Storm Shield
- Psychic Powers - Null Zone and Smite

5x Assault Terminators (TH and SS)

Land Raider Redeemer (Not Dedicated Transport)
- Multi Melta

Tactical Squad (10 men)
- Sgt – Power Fist
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Rhino

Tactical Squad (10 men)
- Sgt – Power Fist
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Razorback
- Twin Linked Assault Cannons

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder Storm

5x Scouts
- Power Fist

I am not too sure about loading 600 odd points into one vehicle and speeding across the table for the vehicle to get assaulted surrounded and all my minis die as they cant disembark or getting grounded first turn and walk the rest.

The Librarian seems essential in most games at the moment with Nids, Lash Princes and Eldar throwing psychic powers around. I was running a captain in this list as well but he killed . . . well not alot so he is staying at home.

A change that could be made is to swap out the Storm and Scouts for a Vindicator but once the gun goes its a rhino with some high explosive shells in that cant carry men.

Well without further adue please rip it apart ask any questions, point out errors, suggest things and make me cry . . . ok dont make me cry be a little nice.

Zero

Don't argue with idiots. They will drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-11, 06:38 PM

WinZip's Flag is: USA

one thing that i noticed is that you can drop each of those land speeders to 70 pts each by replacing there HB with a heavy flamer for free instead of making it an upgrade. this would give you 40 more points to spend on something else, such as another assault terminator. This would make your list exactly 1500

"Blood cries out to blood they say, so let us spill their blood so we can hear it all the clearer."

Last edited by WinZip; 01-12-11 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 07:54 AM

Lash Machine's Flag is: England

I would swap the pyschihc powers to the Avenger, Str 5 AP3 template ingnoring cover saves and Null Zone. Adjusting the points for the Landspeeders is a must. You could also upgrade the sergants to havea combi weapon, either melta or flamer, ideally combi melta if you are running a melta gun in the squad.

I personally tried the Librarian in terminator armour and found that at the end of the day he is best in power armour as he is still useless in close combat. The other benefit is that he can ride with the tactical marines in the razor back addinga bit more flexibility and bite to the tac squad. You could use those 40 points saved to add another terminator as metioned abopve. I feel that the best, most flexible option for a terminator close combat squad is 4 thunderhammers and 2 lightening claws.

If you are using scouts in a strom I would also give the sergant a combi melta with his power fist to really threaten vehicles.

Librarian
- Power Armour- Psychic Powers - Null Zone and The Avenger
6 Assault Terminators (4 x TH and SS 2 x LC )
- Multi Melta

Tactical Squad (10 men)
- Sgt – Power Fist, Combi Melta
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Rhino

Tactical Squad (10 men)
- Sgt – Power Fist Combi Melta
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Razorback
- Twin Linked Las Cannons or Las Cannon and Twin linked Plasma

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta
2 Land Speeders
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder Storm, Heavy Flamer

5x Scouts
- Power Fist, Combni Melta

1500 points

The main draw back with the list is the lack of long ranged fire power but it contains enough melta to punch through armour up close. You could consider dropping one terminator and a landspeeder for two MM attack bikes to hide behind rhinos or the land speeder and then pop out and shoot. remeber that the storm takes up a FA slot, which is a bit anoying.

Hope this is useful.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 10:55 PM
It looked great on paper.

hijynx's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Sphere View Post
I am going to enter my first real tournament and was hoping that I could have (a lot) help with the list.

Librarian
- Terminator Armour and Storm Shield
- Psychic Powers - Null Zone and Smite

If you want a shooting attack, you'll probably like the avenger better. If you're putting him with the terminators (I assume you are) try might of the ancients or gate of infinity (if you're planning on them walking).

5x Assault Terminators (TH and SS)

These never disappoint. Are they riding in the redeemer?

- Multi Melta

Redeemer's are decent, but if you can get a crusader, run that instead. You can still fire the hurricane bolters as defensive weapons + assault cannon + PotMS the melta at a different target = win.

Tactical Squad (10 men)
- Sgt – Power Fist
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

Rhino

Tactical Squad (10 men)
- Sgt – Power Fist
- Meltagun
- Missile Launcher

I always run tactical squads this way. Effective combat squads, and they can serve multiple roles.

Razorback
- Twin Linked Assault Cannons

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder
- Heavy Flamer
- Multi Melta

Land Speeder Storm

I never use speeders, can't really offer any advice here one way or another.

5x Scouts
- Power Fist

I'd try to find the points to bump this squad up to 10 and drop the land speeder storm. They can infiltrate OR outflank, flexibility is handy Infiltrate into cover or outflank mid to late game to contest/take objectives or catch a unit off guard lingering near the board edge. Scouts have 30ish attacks on the charge if you take the CC variety. Marine Scouts are underrated in my opinion, I love them. The sniper/camo cloak variety are great infiltrated into cover, also.

I am not too sure about loading 600 odd points into one vehicle and speeding across the table for the vehicle to get assaulted surrounded and all my minis die as they cant disembark or getting grounded first turn and walk the rest.

The Librarian seems essential in most games at the moment with Nids, Lash Princes and Eldar throwing psychic powers around. I was running a captain in this list as well but he killed . . . well not alot so he is staying at home.

A change that could be made is to swap out the Storm and Scouts for a Vindicator but once the gun goes its a rhino with some high explosive shells in that cant carry men.

Well without further adue please rip it apart ask any questions, point out errors, suggest things and make me cry . . . ok dont make me cry be a little nice.

Zero
Hope this helps. If the speeders don't work out for you, devastators are always nice. 4x Plasma Cannon or 4x Missile Launcher makes your opponent unable to ignore them most of the time.

Currently Playing:
Warhammer 40k: Dark Eldar - Chaos Daemons - Sisters of Battle
Warmachine/Hordes: Retribution of Scyrah - Circle Orboros
Malifaux: Outcasts - Neverborn - Resurrectionists
- - -
If war is ever lawful, then peace is sometimes sinful.
- C. S. Lewis

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-11, 11:10 PM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

Quick answer: For the Librarian, since he is in Terminator Armor, also consider Vortex as a power since the TDA allows for him to move and shoot with it. Otherwise I strongly agree that Avenger is better since it will wound MEQ better than 50% of the time.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-11, 06:56 AM

The storm is great in it allows the scouts to either outflank and have a 21" charge reach when coming in from the side or going for a 24inch scout move before the game starts. In a codex army I prefer predators with Auto cannon and Las cannon sponsons to provide ranged anti tank as it is more points efficient than their devastators for this role. You already have an objective sitter with the combat squadded tactical squad with a razor back and having sniper scouts to do anything other than objective sit is pointless as their shooting is less than effective.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-11, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the replys guys.

To answer the question a couple of you ahve asked - I am running the Librarian with the termies in the Land Raider.

Last night I used a moded version of the list as the speeders werent ready but the raider did its job nicely, at several points I was praying that meltas shot didnt turn it into a tomb but it turned out ok.

Even though I had Null zone I didnt need to use it, well thats my excuse for forgetting to cast it when I needed to. I did change the other power to Avenger and that worked out just great, burning five marines to cinders who were camping an objective.

[email protected] Pestilice - am really again vortex as the three times I have used it my Librarian has decided that being the focus of it is a good idea, so he has been told no more vortex as he is a very bad librarian.

@hijynx - I see what you mean about the Redeemer I used the assault cannons and melta and never even produced a lick of flame due to range. It has done some wonderful things versus horde for me though.

@Lash Machine - You suggested the Razor back have a Lascannon and plasma. Has this worked well for you? Before I got in range I had no assault cannnons and the las would have given me a chance to get a punch in at range.

@WinZip - Thank you for that, it was a test and I meant to do it. Honest.

Has Anyone got any advice on Rifleman dreads or Predators? I have seen them in some list but having never used them i am a bit at a loss to see really waht sort of hammering they can give the enemy without being major targets.

Zero

Don't argue with idiots. They will drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-11, 01:42 PM

Stick wit hNull Zone and the Avenger. Null Zone will pull your fat out of the fire against some armies, especailly at a tournamnet.

The las plas benefits from having two weapons and helps defend the objective it's guarding with the twin linked plasma, whilst giving the option of tank sniping at range.

rifelmen dreads are great at taking out transports but for points for points the Las sponsoned pred with auto cannon is better and can hurt higher AV as well as being a bit more survivable. Most big gunz will target towrds the land raider.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-11, 02:57 PM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

I have to agree with Lash on the Las/Plas. It puts a serious hurt on Troops and MC alike. The AP2 means FNP is worthless on Dark Eldar and Nurgle and BA. It makes transports or light armored vehicles avoid that side of the board (especially if they get within 24 inches). Plus, a Weapon Destroyed Result means you still have one weapon to use. I use my old TLPG/LC Razor in every list since it is so versatile.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Well after hitting the Space Marine books I have come up with a couple of alternatives. Other than these two lists I am looking at having a list with rifleman dreads an preds but I am still working on that. Anyway please give feedback -

List One -
Pedro Kantor

Librarian –Null Zone/Gate

8x Sternguard
-3x Combi-Meltas

Redeemer (Carries Kantor, Librarian and Sternguard)
-Multi-Melta

10x Marines
-Missile Launcher
-Melta
-Sgt - PF

Rhino

10x Marines
-Missile Launcher
-Melta
-Sgt - PF

Rhino

5x Scouts
-Sgt - PF

Land Speeder Storm

Speeder
-Flamer
-Melta

Speeder
-Flamer
-Melta

Total-1500

List 2
-Sgt – Power Wpn

Razorback
-Las/plas Turret

Librarian

5x Sternguard
-2x Combi-Melta
-Sgt – Power Fist

Razorback
-Las/plas Turret

5x Marines
-Melta
-Sgt – Power Fist

Razorback
-Las/plas Turret

5x Marines
-Melta
-Sgt – Power Fist

Razorback
-Las/plas Turret

5x Marines
-Melta
-Sgt – Power Fist

Razorback
-Las/plas Turret

Speeder
-Flamer
-Melta

Speeder
-Flamer
-Melta
Total - 1460

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode