Generic Space Marine 2000 point Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Psycho_Tyco's Flag is: England

Generic Space Marine 2000 point Army

Hey guy's, was a bit bored the other day and decided to write up a 2k Generic SM list. i know you see these a lot, but now that i have finished my deathguard, i wanted to start a fresh with a new SM army, an dthought i would come up with my own chapter.... what do you think for just over 2010 point? All Critiques, praise (if any) etc woud be greatly appreciated.

HQ:

Captain+SS+PS+Artificer Armour = 145

Elite's:

7 Assault Terminator's (5 LC's, 2 TH/SS) = 280
Ven Dreadnought + Assault Cannon = 175

Troops:

10 Man Tactical Squad+Flamer+ML+PP+MB+Rhino = 225
10 Man Tactical Squad+MG+ML+PW+MB+Drop Pod = 230
10 Man Tactical Squad+PG+MM+PF+Drop Pod+Locator Beacon = 250

Fast Attack:

10 Man Assault Squad+Flamer+MB = 205

Heavy Support:

Tri Las Preadator = 165
Dev Squad+2 Las Cannon+2 Plasma Cannon = 210
Vindicator+Siege Shield = 125

Please Help lvl up my Nid's, they need to grow!

Last edited by Psycho_Tyco; 12-17-10 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 04:18 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

To start, check your points, if everything is right, you're at 2010

There is a real opportunity in your list to trim a lot of fat, but taken on the whole, you just don't have enough shooting to really be a threat. At 2K points, I really think you need more stuff that shoots hard. So against a competative shooty list, you will be out ranged and outgunned.

-------------------------------------

Project Log - Click Here

My 40K Blog: For the Throne
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, as i said this is my first Nilla Marines, so i am not surprised that this list requires a fair amount of work.

what would you say exactly needed changing? as i said earlier, this is my first standard list, so i am unsure on what units work with what etc.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 05:48 PM
Village Idiot

Kalshinko's Flag is: USA

If your going to take Assault Termies, give them a LR. Running or DS them in is a bad idea IMO.

I should change my name to Number 1. Not because I am conceited but because thats what I always roll at inopportune moments.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 07:10 PM
Ask me about Pins

First step is to figure out how you want to play the army. If you want to have a hard hitting *deathstar* unit (assault termies in LR) then you should tailor the rest of your list to support them. If you want to go MSU (multiple small unit) then you keep the cost per thingy down and make sure it's a good shooter. If you check out my sig, I have a brief guide to listbuilding... but effectively, I says "take 9 things that shoot hard" and fill in the rest with what you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT40k View Post
FYI - for codex marines, I typically start with the following 2K list and then remove/add for flavor....

Libby
3x Typhoons
3x Rifleman Dreads
3x Auto/Las Preds
2x Full Tac squad (ML, Flamer, Sgt w/ Powerweapon) in TL Las Razorback
2x 5 man Tac squad in TL Las Razorback

By starting from a very nasty shooty list, I then figure out how to add the element I want (eg, Shrike or Vulcan) and then tailor the list around that theme. But the key is to make sure I still pack a firepower wallup.

Project Log - Click Here

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 08:36 PM

Kastle's Flag is: USA

Ok i see what you are going to do...

well if you are taking a Captain with a storm shield you should so give him a Relic blade.

For the Assault termies, i you are going to deep strike them i would recommend to give them all SS/TH. Codex:SM have theses at the cheapest anywhere might as well make your opponent go "OH SHIT!"

for your tac squads, I would only put 1 in a drop pod with a locator beacon, but take a teleport homer on the other sergeants.

I am not a fan of the Assault squad out of this codex, i would take for this slot 2 squads of attack bikes that have 2 bikes in each with MM.

I would consider also dropping the Dev squad, for the points you could take either another vindicator or an auto/las pred.

Now the Venerable dread might be a bit too expensive in my experience to run, consider making it a Dakka dread...

I am going to give you a piece of advise that was given to me early in my attempt to play this game. "if you are just trying a piece of armor run 1, if you like it and you want it to be consistent run 2, but if you run 3 you will be accused of spamming."

"When you get to heaven may the Devil be your judge.."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 09:15 PM
Ask me about Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastle View Post
I am going to give you a piece of advise that was given to me early in my attempt to play this game. "if you are just trying a piece of armor run 1, if you like it and you want it to be consistent run 2, but if you run 3 you will be accused of spamming."
sorry, I've gotta nerdrage on this one..

Better not take 3 squads of troops.. or you're spamming.... Meh.. this attitude just makes me facepalm like that nice bear above. The game has clearly defined rules for how many of a certian thing you can bring... The folks who cry spamming typically suck at the game and couldn't build a decent list to save their life.... I don't care of you're talking about the Roman Legions, Knights in armor, or a rifle company... Military forces throughout human history have embraced the idea that similar gear loadouts is smart... So what is the basis for whining about spamming? IMO, it's a complete and utter LACK OF WIN

Bottom line is that list building is part of the game. Just like if you suck at deployment... if you suck at list building, guess what, you'll probably lose the game.

If you want to play the game at a competative level, NOBODY is going to give you a hard time about bringing multiple selections of the same unit. If they do, then you can cry BS at will...

Best advice is to make sure you and you're opponent have a clear understanding of what kind of game you're gonna play. If you both agree to take the best list you can write and play, then groovy... but most times I find myself with competative lists and my opponent brings a "hobby" list. So I find myself adjusting my list so that I don't completely stomp them cause their list presents no challenge....

But please don't think that you should be worried about "spamming"

Project Log - Click Here

Last edited by CLT40k; 12-17-10 at 10:26 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-10, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

It is strictly going to be friendly games, and i was trying to tailor a list to be able to take on an 'all comers' role

Now if i have made this list incorrectly, please tell me and what advice you would give to help me better it

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-10, 12:41 PM

CLT40K is wright.
When your opponent sees your list and starts crying that your spamming, you know you've won halve the game, since he'll be wary, he won't be playing his game and tactics. He'll start to react to your moves and he'll start dancing to your tune. Remember that the FoC is there for a reason. If it allows me to bring 3 vindicators in a 1000 point game against nids, do you think it is unfair?

anyways, for your list, I'd advise you to go for dakka and lots of it. Good shooty stuff that can hammer you foe at range and the fire you pour on them will only intensify as the range becomes smaller.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode