1000pt space marine build - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Default 1000pt space marine build

ok so i built a non competitive space marine army 2 battle my nid friend.
i want it 2 be good at killing gaunt hordes, cause 2 be honest hes kinda a dick about winning. he plays a gaunt rush army, so id like 2 be able 2 kill that, but i want it 2 be able 2 at least have a chance against other things

heres what iv planned:
10 man tactical squad with flamer and rocket/ rhino
10 man tactical squad with flamer and rocket/ rhino
5 man devastators with rockets/razor back
5 man devastators with rockets/razor back
1 librarian with plasma pistol
predator with auto cannon and heavy bolters.

i havnt gotten everything so tell me if u think i should change anything first.

Last edited by nivik; 10-29-10 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 07:55 AM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

Drop the devastators for 2 vindicators. Much more killy, can move and fire that huge demolisher cannon (which will wipe out those guants) and it's cheaper than those devastators.

I would drop the plasma pistol on the librarian. What 2 powers does he have? I would suggest either avenger/smite/null zone with gate of infinity.

I would switch the tactical squads rhino's for razorbacks.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 01:48 PM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

Agreed with Ultra111. Plus the Vindicators can't be hurt by gaunts IIRC.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

i guess. i fell that if i dont have the devistators im going to have no long range. l have 2 missile launchers and two heavy bolters. so il only be able to shoot with any power at 24'. so il get 2rounds of fire before im swimming in gaunts. and if the vidicators miss then zoanthropes will shread them.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 02:36 AM
We fly for the Emperor!

ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivik View Post
i guess. i fell that if i dont have the devistators im going to have no long range. l have 2 missile launchers and two heavy bolters. so il only be able to shoot with any power at 24'. so il get 2rounds of fire before im swimming in gaunts. and if the vidicators miss then zoanthropes will shread them.
Well, it's true that Devastators has more range, and more missiles, but it has much lower stopping power.

Let's compare the weapons :
Frag Missile : 48" S 4 AP 6
Demolisher : 24" S 10 AP 2

Demolisher cannon has a bigger template and much more destructive power. By hitting with a much larger Strength, you have a bigger chance to wound the enemy. Even you can kill the Zoanthrope if you hit them, and it fail it's invulnerable save. Demolisher cannon is also have bigger template, so more targets will fall under your fire.

Don't forget that Vindicators can fire and move, while Devastators can't do that.

And as far as I know, you can only target one squad, by having 2 ML you can't target 2 enemy squads, am I right or not?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 03:35 AM

Lord Pestilice's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderHawk View Post
Well, it's true that Devastators has more range, and more missiles, but it has much lower stopping power.

Let's compare the weapons :
Frag Missile : 48" S 4 AP 6
Demolisher : 24" S 10 AP 2

Demolisher cannon has a bigger template and much more destructive power. By hitting with a much larger Strength, you have a bigger chance to wound the enemy. Even you can kill the Zoanthrope if you hit them, and it fail it's invulnerable save. Demolisher cannon is also have bigger template, so more targets will fall under your fire.

Don't forget that Vindicators can fire and move, while Devastators can't do that.

And as far as I know, you can only target one squad, by having 2 ML you can't target 2 enemy squads, am I right or not?
You are correct that if both MLs are in the same squad, they have to target the same unit/model.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 04:04 AM
We fly for the Emperor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pestilice View Post
You are correct that if both MLs are in the same squad, they have to target the same unit/model.
So, I think that Vindicators is a much more useful and powerful than Devastators. If the Vindicators move at combat speed, can it still fire it's Demolisher Cannon? I think that if it fire directly it is OK, but it can't fire as barrage......
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

yes but then he just has 2 sit there with a few venom cannons and shoot my and i can do anything, and what if i play someone that uses long range units? then i have 2 run the board 2 hit them
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 07:51 AM
We fly for the Emperor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivik View Post
yes but then he just has 2 sit there with a few venom cannons and shoot my and i can do anything, and what if i play someone that uses long range units? then i have 2 run the board 2 hit them
Strictly talking about long range units, SM lacks of them. SM's best longest range weapon are ML and Whirlwind (48"), while Eldar got Prism Cannon (60"), Tau got Rail gun (72"), and IG got Earthshaker cannon (120").

Even Devastators can't do anything against Broadside which can hit you with S 10 AP 1 at 72" range. They key to it is cover.

Talking about Venom Cannon, they have 36" range. If I recall, the one that can use it is Hive Tyrant. The Vindicators main use is to stop Gaunt rush, which they excels. To kill a Hive Tyrant, you can use your Predators, or use your tactical's ML.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 08:53 AM

Ultra111's Flag is: England

Just to point out vindicators really have a 30" range, as they can move 6" then fire a 24" weapon.

And at 1000 points, the table may not be huge, so the range may not be that much of a problem. Either way, if you devastatos went after it, they would have to draw LoS on them, but they wouldn't be able to fire, which would open them up to a whole load of trouble.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode